Dedicated server

eRomano

Could anyone explain what a 'dedicated server' is? :question:

At the moment, the forum is on a 'shared sever', so it's stored on a server with other forums. This limits it's bandwidth, speed, etc as the processing power of the server is shared over the other forums.

A dedicated server means that the forum is hosted on its very own server which means it'll have more bandwidth to chew through, as well as more speed, power, etc.

Means less downtime, more stability, extra speed, etc.

Could come in handy when CD rolls around. :)

PS - Sorry if I was slightly wrong about anything I said in this post - the general idea is right, but I may have made a couple of mistakes.

will we have a facility whereby we can ftp files to this server?

--> No!

I could imagine people NOT wanting a hosting server to be burdened with the troubles of filesharing (huge data traffic), let alone illegal material.

Just a hunch though...

--> Exactly.

At the moment, the forum is on a 'shared sever', so it's stored on a server with other forums....

--> highvoltage has the general idea alright. Nothing too wrong with his post.

Excellent! :D

Hopefully, all the suspended features will be back...forever! :huh:

--> I will bring back as many disabled features as I can. Since we can expect more people i the near future, I will balance feaures and performance intelligently.

Great news! Is it costing a lot to do this though?

--> Yep.

other than the speed and the uptime, will anything change on the interface side of things? for the user/member?

--> The interface will look exactly the same.

Great news, Eric! Hope everything runs smoothly.

Will there be any new features?

--> My first consideration will be to "re-enable" as many features as possible. We will later see about adding new features if possible.

Sweet! Just don't have it down at the weekend ;)

BTW, will this be backed up (the forum), or will it just be a switch that's pretty quick?

And, I guess we get to keep out accounts and the posts and threads right?

--> The Forum is backed up on a daily basis. A final backup will be done just before it is transfered. All data will be saved (member, posts, threads, etc).

cool shit Eric, hope nothing happens in GN'R land when this is down

--> Lets not exagerate, we are only talking about 4 hours max here. Could be only one hour too..

UPDATE:

The dedicated server is almost ready.

The transfer process should take place tomorrow (thursday) morning arround 9AM EST.

The Forum should be back up before 1PM EST.

--> Lets not exagerate, we are only talking about 4 hours max here. Could be only one hour too..

UPDATE:

The transfer process should take place tomorrow (thursday) morning arround 9AM EST.

Oh man, that sucks. I'm at work during those hours. Looks like I'm going to have to actually work tomorrow! :o Oh man, my whole day is ruined! :(

:lol:

UPDATE:

Oh man, that sucks. I'm at work during those hours. Looks like I'm going to have to actually work tomorrow! :o Oh man, my whole day is ruined! :(

:lol:

:rofl-lol:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww, my heart bleeds santana