Your take on the new songs in general....

kalahari

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the leaks are out there to create a buzz. I don't know if there is a more in depth plan than that.

Was Tom Zutaut who said that Axl wasnt interesed in money and fame? If he´s showing us the leaks its not for money...

Well the plan was to not listen to these demos and just wait for the album, but last night I fuckin' caved. So I'll throw in my 2 cents now, after listening to them again this morning:

TWAT - this song is a major disappointment. Comparisons to Estranged had me very excited, but this song doesn't even come close. The parts where they sing, "There was a time, _________ all alone again", or something like that just don't sound good. Otherwise it's a mediocre song that I don't hate, but I certainly don't love it either. Mediocre, just like VR. :o

Better - now this song is fucking amazing, but it does need to be cleaned up a bit. The chorus for one, where he sings "Now I know you better, you know I know better, now we all know better", really brings the song down. Then around the 2:30 to 3:20 mark, the heavy chunky guitars sound like fucking Nickleback or something. What I'd like to see is the kind of sound they used in Rocket Queen around the middle of the song, when it was transitioning from dirty rock to ballad. These parts hurt the song, but the rest of it is so great that I can tolerate them. Reading the lyrics while listening to Axl sing them sent chills up my spine the same way as when I first read the lyrics to Breakdown. I like the Finck/Fortus solo. A sure #1 hit.

CITR - as people have said, it sounds very Beatles like. A cool song. I can't really find anything wrong with it. The final version with better mixing I'm sure will sound great.

Overall I'm pretty happy. But I just gotta say it, because I've read people comment that the solos are very Slash like. They are, but there is nothing here as good as what he has done. Nothing as moving as what he did in Estranged. Nothing as kick ass as his Dead Horse or WTTJ solos. I could go on. Hell, even some of his VR stuff is better than anything here. No solo here kicks ass as much as his solos in You Got No Right and Slither, nothing here is as beautiful as his solos in Loving the Alien. I know some people here would never admit that no matter what Slash does (unless Axl brought him back to GN'R, then they'd love him), but that's what I think.

I don't wanna make this all about Slash, but the comparisons are gonna be made. Overall the songs are great. Maybe they ain't as good as Slash (no surprise there), but Finck/Fortus/BH get the job done.

Overall I'm pretty happy. But I just gotta say it, because I've read people comment that the solos are very Slash like. They are, but there is nothing here as good as what he has done. Nothing as moving as what he did in Estranged. Nothing as kick ass as his Dead Horse or WTTJ solos. I could go on. Hell, even some of his VR stuff is better than anything here. No solo here kicks ass as much as his solos in You Got No Right and Slither, nothing here is as beautiful as his solos in Loving the Alien. I know some people here would never admit that no matter what Slash does (unless Axl brought him back to GN'R, then they'd love him), but that's what I think.

I don't wanna make this all about Slash, but the comparisons are gonna be made. Overall the songs are great. Maybe they ain't as good as Slash (no surprise there), but Finck/Fortus/BH get the job done.

Pretty much my thoughts verbatim. Better is really great, fit to stand with the back catalogue. The chorus and middle part needs work but I think its going to stay. Oh well it's still great, especially Finck's end solo, VERY Slash-like...I love it...

TWAT's end solo is also brilliant, Buckethead is awesome....

I think the choruses in all the songs (except IRS) need work, none of them are really that catchy. As for Slash, well like you said, BH, Finck, et al get the job done. There is nothing subpar in the guitarwork thankfully. However elevating a song to greatness was something Slash did really well, that was his talent. Had he worked on these songs, I'm sure they would have had catchier riffs, but no use crying over spilled milk...I'm happy these demos are solid...they lived up to my high expectations....Axl is still the man...

Edited by SylvesterStallone

i love it. each song shows the pain and heartache of axl's life. they each show how he has matured from a kid who left home and said fuck you to the life he was born into, to a man who has been fucked over by nearly everyone he has ever loved or trusted.

good but not great

i do love 3/4 of em but they are missing the "fuck you" we got in AFD

I like the songs but they could have more attitude

with respect dude' it aint supposed to AFD :)

ya i know that but its hard to explain :unsure:

its just wat i think but i do like the new stuff too

about Axl's famous words: "I'm trying to do something different..." Well...don't try it...DO IT!!!

...and for those songs we've heard till now...they are a lil' bit different...but... :blink:

...and I like "the Dolphins"...and I like the "Phone Call" in KOHD...and I would like even "Axl's new "deep" sound of smashing his head into the wall...or a sound of his hairdryer while drying his braids"...so I will like everything this man does!!!

...so if you're a real fan...you have to respect all the shit he put into his songs...well...amm...yeah..that's it ;)

about Axl's famous words: "I'm trying to do something different..." Well...don't try it...DO IT!!!

...and for those songs we've heard till now...they are a lil' bit different...but... :blink:

...and I like "the Dolphins"...and I like the "Phone Call" in KOHD...and I would like even "Axl's new "deep" sound of smashing his head into the wall...or a sound of his hairdryer while drying his braids"...so I will like everything this man does!!!

...so if you're a real fan...you have to respect all the shit he put into his songs...well...amm...yeah..that's it ;)

you mean the electric mixer?

anyone noticed the accosit behind the solos in twat?

i think it's axl personally

IRS is garbage plain and simple.

TWAT is ok I guess.

Better shows the most potential, slice out that Buckethead middle part and you'd have a great song.

I realize more and more everyday that Slash's guitar work is what I love the most about GNR, and that if Axl had less input into the UYI albums I'd probably like them even more than I already do. GNR songs that I hate off the UYI albums; lately I've been searching for versions of them without the vocals, like demos and shit. I just listen to the instrumental portion and basically every song sounds fucking awesome. So basically, at this point, I'd take Libertad over CD.

Edited by Ant

Yes... you keep telling yourself that.:rolleyes:

I've never heard a song of that kind of quality played that fast in my life. It's brilliant.

What are you views on "Madagascar" and "The Blues"?

I'm just stating my opinion, I don't see anything worth mentioning about that song. Its so generic and boring, and of all the demos his voice is the worst on that track. Mainly its just the nu-metal sounding guitar riff that I dislike though, and the lyrics to the chorus.

I don't even remember what I think of those other two songs to be honest, if that tells you anything. Haven't listened to them since last year. The Blues was pretty cool in some parts, others like when he sings "So now I wonder through my days, trying to find my way" or whatever he says, ugh :vomit: .

Edited by Ant

Guest RonMexico82

TWAT is ok I guess.

Better shows the most potential, slice out that Buckethead middle part and you'd have a great song.

I realize more and more everyday that Slash's guitar work is what I love the most about GNR, and that if Axl had less input into the UYI albums I'd probably like them even more than I already do. GNR songs that I hate off the UYI albums; lately I've been searching for versions of them without the vocals, like demos and shit. I just listen to the instrumental portion and basically every song sounds fucking awesome. So basically, at this point, I'd take Libertad over CD.

You're the TWAT you are choosing an album that hasn't even a single note recorded over a great song like I.R.S. get your ears syringed.

Pretty much my thoughts verbatim. Better is really great, fit to stand with the back catalogue. The chorus and middle part needs work but I think its going to stay. Oh well it's still great, especially Finck's end solo, VERY Slash-like...I love it...

Yeah, it's ashame those parts in Better. Clean those up and you've got a perfect song.

The TWAT solo is great but it's not on Estranged's level. I dig Finck's Better solo too, my favourite solo from these songs. How do we know it ain't Fortus though?

CITR is what I'm listening to a lot today. On first listen I thought it was just okay, but it's growing on me the more I hear it, which is an amazing feeling. It's right up there with Better IMO...two very different songs, but they are both top notch. Better I loved pretty much right away, I.R.S. grew on me (I don't think it's amazing but it's a cool song), CITR I love now, and TWAT, well...meh. Don't think I'll ever really love it.

TWAT is ok I guess.

You're the TWAT you are choosing an album that hasn't even a single note recorded over a great song like I.R.S. get your ears syringed.

:laugh: No need for personal attacks, I'm just sayin' I'd rather have Libertad in my hands than CD right now, if it was somehow possible. And again, IRS being garbage is a personal preference, but look around man, a lot of people agree with me. You should read some of the stuff people said about it after it was played on the radio.

Also, I agree with the post above, the best solo to come out of these leaks is the one at the end of Better. I actually like that one a lot. Doesn't have to be super technical to kick ass.

Edited by Ant

I don't think the leaks aqre dissapointing....different maybe? Granted, they're not album quality and who knows what the other's are like, but, they caught me off guard a bit. I guess I was expecting the kick-your-ass gnr style. They're a lot more mellow than that. But, I also realize you can't expect a carbon copy, and most people are. Plus, the more and more I listen to them, the more I like them. I think once I got over the initial...'uhhh?' I actually listened to them.

Yeah, it's ashame those parts in Better. Clean those up and you've got a perfect song.

The TWAT solo is great but it's not on Estranged's level. I dig Finck's Better solo too, my favourite solo from these songs. How do we know it ain't Fortus though?

CITR is what I'm listening to a lot today. On first listen I thought it was just okay, but it's growing on me the more I hear it, which is an amazing feeling. It's right up there with Better IMO...two very different songs, but they are both top notch. Better I loved pretty much right away, I.R.S. grew on me (I don't think it's amazing but it's a cool song), CITR I love now, and TWAT, well...meh. Don't think I'll ever really love it.

Yep Catcher and Better are my favorites. I think Catcher should sound much better(no pun intended) in its final form, this one definitely sounds like a demo.

I'm giving Finck the benefit of the doubt as far as the solo in better, but to be fair it does sound a bit like him. The reason most of us are digging it is probably because it sounds very much like a guns n roses solo (i.e. Slash)...

TWAT took awhile to grow on me, but that chorus is not very catchy. In fact none of the choruses are really that appealing upon first listen besides IRS....

Yep Catcher and Better are my favorites. I think Catcher should sound much better(no pun intended) in its final form, this one definitely sounds like a demo.

I'm giving Finck the benefit of the doubt as far as the solo in better, but to be fair it does sound a bit like him. The reason most of us are digging it is probably because it sounds very much like a guns n roses solo (i.e. Slash)...

TWAT took awhile to grow on me, but that chorus is not very catchy. In fact none of the choruses are really that appealing upon first listen besides IRS....

TWAT is starting to grow on me a bit. I think the final version could be pretty good. And I'm beginning to appreaciate the solos in that song as well. The BH solo is pretty epic sounding in parts, and Fincks'/Fortus' is just really cool. Aside from CITR these songs all have two guitar solos, though some are pretty short.

But man, CITR is really special. It's chilling to hear the lyrics of that song considering that it's about Mark Chapman...they are beautiful and haunting at the same time, and the song has a definite Beatles sound to it, which can't be by accident. You know, I feel that this could become a real classic, known as one of the best songs of all time. Maybe I'm getting carried away a bit, but Axl is a one-of-a-kind lyricist and his vocal melodies are something special. This isn't news though. One poster at HTGTH said it best...listening to these lyrics, I am humbled.

This song, and also Better, makes me understand how Axl could say the big guns were still under wraps despite the quality of The Blues and Madagascar. I'm looking forward to this album more than ever right now, and hopefully for Axl to cement his place in rock history with it.

Edited by KBear

I think that the Illusion albums were awsome. Sure, they were hard to handle at first when they came out cause first of all there was so many songs and second the albums where so different compared to Appetite and all the other music being created at the same time. Still, I think that the Illusion albums are amazing and I porbably listen to a Guns song every single day. :)

Please don't have that avatar i find it very rude! :anger:

I think some of the songs took a few listens to get attatched to. For example, I downloaded the MTV 2002 VMAs and disliked Madagascar instantly. But I listened to it about 5 more times and it's now my favorite song. And with There Was A Time and Catcher In The Rye, they also took a couple of listens to get attached to, but I love them now. However, some of the other songs have an instant bind rather than an acquired taste (I.E. I.R.S., Better, The Blues).

I did not like the new stuff all that much at first, but the more I listen to it, the better it sounds. I see RS gave "Better" the mark for best song, but I disagree.

Cather in the Rye is a freaking AWESOME song, it sounds like it could be off Illusions, it reminds me a LOT of Estranged with all the changes in the song.

There Was a Time is another GREAT song, close to my favorite of the 4 I have heard (I'm counting an awesome remixed live version of Chinese Democracy)

IRS was my initial favorite, but TWAT and Catcher really grew on me.

In a way, I think it might be hurting the hype for the album by not letting at least like on of the songs be posted for dl. You need to listen to them a few times to like them.

It reminds me so much of Illusions, I got the albums home, and I'm like "WTF?" and they turned out to be my favorite albums of all time.

I like Velvet Revolver, it was decent, if the 4 songs I have heard are any indication, the new Guns will throw down and blow Velvet out of the water.

i think the only problem with these new songs is it may take a few times listening to to really start to like... its not the mindblowing stuff gnr put out with AFD... its good stuff very good stuff just alot of the non-gnr fans will only give it 1 listen to

Guest JohnUlmer

There Was a Time - Brilliant song; destined to be an epic.

The Blues - Best song in years; perhaps their best ever

Catcher in the Rye - Lovely

Silkworms - Brutal

Rhiad - Nice

Chinese Democracy - Catchy riff, decent solo

Better - Really like it

IRS - Kick-ass in the vein of YCBM; awesome vocals

Madagascar - Studio version will hopefully be really amazing

What am I missing?

There Was a Time - Brilliant song; destined to be an epic.

The Blues - Best song in years; perhaps their best ever

Catcher in the Rye - Lovely

Silkworms - Brutal

Rhiad - Nice

Chinese Democracy - Catchy riff, decent solo

Better - Really like it

IRS - Kick-ass in the vein of YCBM; awesome vocals

Madagascar - Studio version will hopefully be really amazing

What am I missing?

I bow to your assesment

SilkWorms is the worst song ever