Your take on the new songs in general....

kalahari

Ive been hearing that better is better than uyi1&2 and that these new songs are the best and that paradise city is overrated and 80's hair band radio shit, cmon people wake up and realize that gnr topped out, and that the new album will be the best album since uyi, but the best years are over, music as we knew it is basically finished, i hope the best for this album and i hope im wrong here, but the only guy i can think of who has completely rearanged his lineup and still put out the hits is ozzy osbourne(and he still had his bassist and drummer for most of them), and he never had any 10+ year gaps in releases, this album is gonna piss off alot of people, lets just face the facts and realize that gnr is done and axl rose is gonna release some good shit, but not gnr, i mean would u consider mama im comin home a black sabbath song( ok thats a bad example but u know what im sayin. this rant should probably be closed soon!

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been hearing that better is better than uyi1&2 and that these new songs are the best and that paradise city is overrated and 80's hair band radio shit, cmon people wake up and realize that gnr topped out, and that the new album will be the best album since uyi, but the best years are over, music as we knew it is basically finished, i hope the best for this album and i hope im wrong here, but the only guy i can think of who has completely rearanged his lineup and still put out the hits is ozzy osbourne(and he still had his bassist and drummer for most of them), and he never had any 10+ year gaps in releases, this album is gonna piss off alot of people, lets just face the facts and realize that gnr is done and axl rose is gonna release some good shit, but not gnr, i mean would u consider mama im comin home a black sabbath song( ok thats a bad example but u know what im sayin. this rant should probably be closed soon!

i only read the first two sentences, but i agree with you. well, with the first two sentences.

PAZ

I do agree with you in many ways. Most of what you said is really undeniable. But we can't relive the past forever. "What was, was. What is, is. And what is, is what's happening right now." I would never compare Appetite or UYI's to this....Never. The quality of the music on Appetite is inexplicable. Durring many periods in my life, I have had different favorites. But the raw intesity and honesty of that album WILL NEVER be recaptured. The Illusions were all great in my opinion. Some material better than others, some too grandiouse, and some too polished. But nevertheless, there are so many quality songs there. The new material we heard cant tell us anything about what is to come. We have only heard pieces in the evolution of Axl's band. There are some great things here. But because Axl is a different person and the dynamics are different. He can never faithfully recapture that sound. But it is okay. Let's see what else he has to offer. That is why we waste our valuable time here. We have not heard the best that is out there. I have a feeling we might all be surprised.

Edited by smokingarthur

you are a complete fucking idiot.

Guest Matt13

you are a complete fucking idiot.

lol

i only read the first two sentences, but i agree with you. well, with the first two sentences.

PAZ

I don't think that's possible. There's only one sentence. :rolleyes:

But he does bring up a good question. Just because (assuming) that the new album kicks ass, does that make it a GNR album? It would be easy if the new material was weak for us to then say, "well, that's 'cause it's not the original GNR." But if the new stuff rocks (and from what we've heard so far, this is a safe bet), does that make it a GNR album? And this isn't questioned just because it's only Axl left. I mean, how much can you change something before it becomes something else. Axl's very different (vocally and musically), the band is completely different, and just the overall texture is different. I'm not saying one way or another, but it's a question that isn't unreasonable to ask.

Cheers,

Andrew

if the rate of the new songs by new gnr or axls band, do you think some of the songs will replace old songs on your top ten gnr songs, so far Better and IRS(they are extremely good) have replaced, Civil War and Knocking on heavens door

and they are slowing moving up and up.

if they release more albums etc do you think they will wipe out other songs such as rocket queen etc (NEVER REPLACE SWEET CHILD OR NOV RAIN)

what about you?

Edited by Guns N' Fucking Roses

if the rate of the new songs by new gnr or axls band, do you think some of the songs will replace old songs on your top ten gnr songs, so far Better and IRS(they are extremely good) have replaced, Civil War and Knocking on heavens door

if they release more albums etc do you think they will wipe out other songs such as rocket queen etc (NEVER REPLACE SWEET CHILD OR NOV RAIN)

what about you?

This is a strange topic?..

Fuck 'Sweet Child Of Mine'.. thats the worst advert for GnR ever!

No, they won't replace the past. It's going to be great and new stuff, maybe some day I discover myself doing a GNR compilation mixing the old & the new songs, but now I really doubt it.

To me these songs are fantastic, but it's a new sound and yet we have to discover what is Chinese Democracy when we hold it in our hands. I see Better along with Nightrain, of course I don't have a problem with it, but I try not to confront the past and the present.

And I see TWAT along with Estranged, in the future, in the same cd. But not one against the other. Never.

what about you?

Firstly they will if you want them to,

Your criteria is highly subjective,

I myself have yet to see an Axl Rose (or Velvet Revolver) song come even close,

Secondly, I think (and I hope) you'll find the majority of people will have similar

favouritism for the classic Guns and Roses, than any new incarnation (from either side).

Otherwise your messageboard is based on fandom of a band with 9 unrealised tracks, no ablum to speak off and half finished tour in 2002. Not a lot to go on is it?

I doubt the majority of Old GNR fans will rate either band (though both bands are excellant) over the beloved original!

just an opinion, not fact

:unsure:

what about you?

Secondly, I think (and I hope) you'll find the majority of people will have similar

favouritism for the classic Guns and Roses, than any new incarnation (from either side).

Otherwise your messageboard is based on fandom of a band with 9 unrealised tracks, no ablum to speak off and half finished tour in 2002. Not a lot to go on is it?

I doubt the majority of Old GNR fans will rate either band (though both bands are excellant) over the beloved original!

i was just asking :unsure:

People seem to compare the new and old material.

I shall view this new incarnation of Guns as a whole new band. New sound, new members. Only Axl remains. Although I think the man was big part of old Gn'R sound, he certainly wasn't "Axl= old Gn'R".

He certainly is new Gn'R though. That said I cannot compare new and old songs as I view them differently.

And remember, without the success of old songs contributed by Slash and the guys none of you would give a shit about dude who has made an album for the last 10 years :)

All is good :D I love what Axl is making and what he and the old members made but seriously, can you compare new and the old songs the way you compared Appetite songs and UYI songs the same way? I think not.

:unsure:

what about you?

i was just asking :unsure:

I know..and I only answered, tis only my opinion on the subject

Anyway don't worry if I sound aggressive, Im typing behind a glass screen miles away

theres not alot I can, unless of course Im the Lawnmower man in which case I could travel through your modem, but relax Im not the lawnmower man so its ok!

or am I? :krider:

Im sorry what was this topic about I got wee bit lost whilst remembering and early 90s classic! :drevil:

Dont mind on my english, im trying to do my best....

Who is in agreement with me on this.?

I think that the new gnr music is ok, but in the case of TWAT and CITR i was thinking this: That songs are very good, i wish someday compose something like that, BUT i think that the songs needs a master melody, i think that the verses are very long, and are not defined melodically. On "better" and "irs" is different, we have a master melody repeated in all the song....

What do you think of this guys?

quite true

dont mind those who question you on being "open minded" that term is symonouns with being "Axl minded"

there are alot of really great bits to these songs however alot of them really fail on the structure

instead of trying to cram all these ideas into one given song perhaps it would be better to return to a more simpler base, musical ideas in these songs dont reoccur enough to make them "catchy" or pleasent to the ear, thats my issue with TWAT and CITR

alot of potential but they seriously need to be ironed out

I like better as much as any of the classic material, it's in the top of the heap for me. I am enjoying the others a lot as well but would say I like them as much as Illusion era stuff (AFD is my favorite, Illusions a little over processed compared to AFD). I can't however claim that over-all I will like new Vs old as it depends on the finished material and the album heard as a whole, which is not an option yet.

hey

ive been listening to gnr for ages, im going to download this year with this guy and hes a big a fan as i am

he hadnt herd the new tracks, so i played him them, he said "they sound like a cross between queen and linkin park"

made me laugh, but i can see wat he means...

what do u u lot think?

Peace, Deadman

I can definitely feel the Queen vibe, but I don't know about Linkin Park, because I don't listen to them. By the time those leaked songs are polished up in the studio, they might sound considerably different.