Emo/Screamo/pop punk

Death Star

Why does everyone here on this forum except for Matt_Barker and a few others hate Emo/pop punk/screamo? Is it because you just can't relate to it or think it is just dumb? Not have more of the GN'R influenced roots? I enjoy this music. I am not ashamed of saying it I like that kind of music. I like My Chemical Romance, Kane Hodder, Fall Out Boy and Motion City Soundtrack. But why do most people hate it? :anger:

Edited by Death Star

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because what you have here are mainly classic rock/metal people. It is a guns n roses forum after all.

I dont like that stuff because I just dont find it enjoyable, I have no pretences against it. Sugar We're going down is really catchy though.

some off them just dont like the lyrics i guess..

yea i dont like the songwriting style or the music, just not my thing, and its so trendy right now. like i remember emo back in what..late nineties? like when it was coming back a bit before going out again. and liking emo wasnt like having some horrible, contagious disease. bands like Jimmy Eat World when they went emo, althouhg theyre not what youd call a true emo band. i liked it, loved it infact. this is pre-gnr days. even liked at the drive-in :blink: .

ok so then it comes back more recently, like 2004, or 2003. you got bands like Dashboard Confessional, Funeral for a Friend, Hawthorne Heights, Fall Out Boy and of course My Chemical Romance. It's like the punk movement, or grunge. it becomes this trend. suddenly everyones dressing the same, same haircuts, same emo style. unfortunately one of the things thats a trend with emo is psuedo-depression. why would anyone want to be depressed like? but they act like that because Gerad Way or whatever he's called and that bloke from Fall Out Boy are all depressed. i think theyre aiming for that whole tortured artist thing but its just laughable. what these kids need is a good slap.

i was in a shop yesterday, a really cool rocker kind of shop, like theyre drinkin pints at the til and would sell ye weed. well this emo girl (i could tell she was emo from the stereotypical way she dressed, sorry but its true and you know it) got caught shoplifting, tryed to stroke a skirt. and the guy said he would call her dad, how he got the number im not sure, this happened before we went in. she was to tears begging them not to call her da, like literally hangin off the shop assistants begging them not to because her dad would hit her. saying about how he'd done it before and shit. why do they all do this? claim they have a terrible home life. really, MOST, the vast majority are jumpin on the bandwagon and should wake up to how lucky they have it.

emo is a joke. fine if you like the music, im even partial to the odd bit of Dashboard Confessional or Bright Eyes. Its when emo kids start doing the stereotypical image thing, whining about how "terrible" they have it that its ruined. at first its just another music genre, might not like it but its not a big deal. Its happened before with punk,grunge etc.. it becomes a trend and that ruins it. it seems to be more about that than the music.

and thats why people dislike/hate it so much.

that was long but anyway, im off to weep along to my chemical romance and take a razor to my wrists.

Guest PULPY

JDRM- their music is REAL music just not to your taste :huh:

I think it's because they're so whiny. I know you say what about Axl Rose whining but that's his voice.

Im talking about the lyrics and there voice.

You can kinda tell an emo band from it's name, if it makes no sense and it's been picked out of nowhere then it could be emo.

:krider:

Guest PULPY

JDRM- their music is REAL music just not to your taste :huh:

we all know deep down, certain bands/types of music are a discrace to mankind B)

Yeah but we don't tell them else they go cut themselves. B)

Emo has been around for a very long time, it just wasn't called emo back then. I've seen recent pics of emo kids and I'm like damn....These look like some of the same kids I went to school with back in 1986 but instead of Fall Out Boy and Dashboard Confessional it was The Cure,Depeche Mode,Fugazi and Rites Of Spring.

Speaking of which, has anyone here ever seen the "I Must Me Emo" video?

Edited by Jabberwocky

Emo has been around for a very long time, it just wasn't called emo back then. I've seen recent pics of emo kids and I'm like damn....These look like some of the same kids I went to school with back in 1986 but instead of Fall Out Boy and Dashboard Confessional it was The Cure,Depeche Mode,Fugazi and Rites Of Spring.

heard the song

CrAp :no::vomit:

Edited by JDRM

Guest PULPY

But I like Depeche Mode.

I think what it is is that we say we all hate pop, but we didn't hate The Beatles did we?

And all that 80's pop I love it.

I think we hate current EMO/POP music or whateverelse. But if it's in the past for me I like it.

But I like Depeche Mode.

I think what it is is that we say we all hate pop, but we didn't hate The Beatles did we?

And all that 80's pop I love it.

I think we hate current EMO/POP music or whateverelse. But if it's in the past for me I like it.

Yeah, it used to be called hardcore and I grew up in DC when the roots of emo were taking place but it was never called emo. I know when somebody mentioned who wanted to get booked at my venue they said they were emo and I was like what?

Basically, when somethings starts bubbling in the underground and gets taken to the surface, it gets watered down and then eventually dies. I think if people want to save rock n roll, they're going to have to take it back to the garage.

Depeche Mode is OK to me but only in small doses

Mr Jabberwocky certainly has the right end of the stick with all this.

Bands like Rits Of Spring, Embrace, Mineral, and Fugazi are fucking great and could be considered 'emo', i've argued this a billion times before and can't be arsed going through it again, some emo is decent like the bands mentioned above, so there's no need to write off an entire genre based on what you see on MTV, if everyone did that we'd be listening to nothing.

Edited by mr-fukaji

I don't like the current trend of "emo" music and style and mentality....

It seems to me like it's just a bunch of losers singing about how lame they are. "waahh, no one gets me... my mom's a bitch..... girls don't talk to me.... waaahhhh"

What ever happened to ROCK STARS, not some average guy that nerds can relate to?

I want my musicians to be cooler than the pimple-faced kid that bags my groceries. I want them to be agressive, sexy, rich, stubborn, intimidating and not politically-correct. Someone who smokes and drinks and fucks and fights. I want to listen to people who are entirely NOT average.

I don't like the current trend of "emo" music and style and mentality....

It seems to me like it's just a bunch of losers singing about how lame they are. "waahh, no one gets me... my mom's a bitch..... girls don't talk to me.... waaahhhh"

What ever happened to ROCK STARS, not some average guy that nerds can relate to?

I want my musicians to be cooler than the pimple-faced kid that bags my groceries. I want them to be agressive, sexy, rich, stubborn, intimidating and not politically-correct. Someone who smokes and drinks and fucks and fights. I want to listen to people who are entirely NOT average.

Well hello.

What I want in rock music is an asshole belting out asshole-ish lyrics to the beat of awesome guitar riffs.

Or just imaginative good music.

Not repititive, depressed, boring music.

This is a perfect article on the subject, which explains exactly what I think of emo (written my MovieAddict2006, who is also a GN'R fan, might be a member of this forum):

http://www.themovieaddict.com/rants/emo.html

Edited by adnan