Why Axl wins, already.

axlskAmpf

And my God, what did S.W. say about Axl's songwriting? I could care less what he says about his hair, looks real enough to me, but his writing? I suppose those words are my inspiration for the following, thanks for tolerating me in my rant.

I was once worried too. It's all hearsay as to who write what in GnR after the fact. How much Axl needed Slash? How much actual hook and MELODY were inspired by Slash? Scary thought. I heard OMG too, I was worried.

Boy do I feel better! :) The more you listen to these tracks, the more beautifully blue and sparkling clear the sky of doubt becomes. The man is a great builder of songs, he's great at it, nobody in his genre today comes close. Writer writes a basically simple chord structure, thinks of melody to go with structure, sounds nice. Axl? He comes up with intertwining melodies that are all over the place in perfect harmony, and creates a thought provoking, mental image evoking, anthem out of nothing.

When he really feels something, and lets the melodic genius rip out of him, and gives to the full vision of the song, it's simply spectacular. I will site for my two example of this 3:00 on in TWAT, and 3:56 on in CITR. This, though, is the mark of a great song. The writer will not give it all up in the first chorus or verse, the chords are the same, but it has not opened up yet. Think of Freddie and Brian May, The Doors, Robert and Jimmy, The Beatles, how they were subdued at the start of their great songs in the same manner. They intentionally bring it up and down, derail it ...almost, to the final blow out at the end. The hitch is having a great melody coming out of you that grabs people in the heart and gut, Axl's specialty, otherwise it's journey to nowhere that nobody cares to go on.

Nobody writes this way anymore, Axl's one of the last great one who did, and his writing now is superb and far advanced from where it was. There were clear signs of this in UYI, it's grown since then quite a bit though.

It's also the mark of a great song that they grow on you more and more, maybe them more getting into you than you into them, such as CITR and TWAT. It's easy to hear the hard rockin hook of Better and IRS and say "these are the hits", and because of that initial appeal, they probably are. I see much more in TWAT, CITR, and The Blues though. Here I see Axl really creating something special.

This is why you can't even get too upset at remarks inferior writers make, good songs in the STP catalog, as in Chris Cornell's and Layne Staley's, sure, good stuff in there. Nothing that special though. Not in the big picture that was and is Rock and Roll. Axl's music will be listened to in 50 years, and beyond. Here, I'll pose the question this way. Look at the 2 lists below off both bands "Greatest Hits" albums. Which do you think will still be listened to and played on radio in 20, 30, 50 years? And just make it really fair, I'll only post some of GnR's album against all Of STP's

A:

Vasoline

Down

Wicked Garden

Big Empty

Plush

Big Bang Baby

Creeep

Lady Picture Show

Trippin On A Hole In A Paper Heart

Interstate Love Song

All In The Suit That You Wear

Sex Type Thing

Days Of The Week

Sour Girl

Plush (Acoustic Version)

Long Way Home (Live) (Bonus Track)

B

Welcome To The Jungle

Sweet Child O' Mine

Patience

Paradise City

Civil War

Don't Cry (Original)

November Rain

Case rested, rant over, thank you again for listening.

Peace, Jim

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

STP aren't in the same league as GnR anyway, I'm sure the Deleo brothers would even admit this. Compare GnR to bands like Zeppelin and The Stones and you'll be on the right track. GnR was the last band to have the talent, popularity, and charisma of a band like Zeppelin or The Stones, and you guys make a mockery of that by comparing them to such mediocre bands as STP and Nirvana.

And my God, what did S.W. say about Axl's songwriting? I could care less what he says about his hair, looks real enough to me, but his writing? I suppose those words are my inspiration for the following, thanks for tolerating me in my rant.

Boy do I feel better! :) The more you listen to these tracks, the more beautifully blue and sparkling clear the sky of doubt becomes. The man is a great builder of songs, he's great at it, nobody in his genre today comes close. Writer writes a basically simple chord structure, thinks of melody to go with structure, sounds nice. Axl? He comes up with intertwining melodies that are all over the place in perfect harmony, and creates a thought provoking, mental image evoking, anthem out of nothing.

It's also the mark of a great song that they grow on you more and more, maybe them more getting into you than you into them, such as CITR and TWAT. It's easy to hear the hard rockin hook of Better and IRS and say "these are the hits", and because of that initial appeal, they probably are. I see much more in TWAT, CITR, and The Blues though. Here I see Axl really creating something special.

will still be listened to and played on radio in 20, 30, 50 years? And just make it really fair, I'll only post some of GnR's album against all Of STP's

A:

Vasoline

Down

Wicked Garden

Big Empty

Plush

Big Bang Baby

Creeep

Lady Picture Show

Interstate Love Song

Sex Type Thing

Days Of The Week

Sour Girl

Plush (Acoustic Version)

B

Welcome To The Jungle

Sweet Child O' Mine

Patience

Paradise City

Civil War

Don't Cry (Original)

November Rain

Peace, Jim

Dude, as a fan of both STP and GNR, GNR is way better, and will be remembered that way. STP is pretty much a Pearl Jam ripoff band. With that said...

In spite of your huge boner for Axl, there is no proof the guy can write crap. Most GNR songs were collaborations, and I'm sorry, but the new demos don't come close to past GNR stuff. Maybe CD will be great, but not of the songs leaked are the better songs on it.

Axl is a great frontman, but there is a reason he relied so heavily on cover tunes after AFD, and there is a reason he hasn't released crap in years. I am starting to buy into the rhetoric that he couldn't write his own stuff. The new stuff sounds like reprocessed Elton John tunes.

Peace,

Screetcher

dustindmnd2, imo you post is so wrongs i wunt to cry, stp isnt great but nowhere near as bad as pearl jam, the gnr songs were collaborative efforts, as in axl wrote the lyrics and slash makes the music, November Rain and estranged was all axl, that right there is enough to prove axl can write. These new songs kick ass and the only song that could be close to elton john is catcher in the rye. It sounds like you expect AFD 2 you are gunna be dissappointed.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
And just make it really fair, I'll only post some of GnR's album against all Of STP's

Well that made a whole lot of fucking sense.

:huh:

dustindmnd2, imo you post is so wrongs i wunt to cry, stp isnt great but nowhere near as bad as pearl jam, the gnr songs were collaborative efforts, as in axl wrote the lyrics and slash makes the music, November Rain and estranged was all axl, that right there is enough to prove axl can write. These new songs kick ass and the only song that could be close to elton john is catcher in the rye. It sounds like you expect AFD 2 you are gunna be dissappointed.

actually it wasn't axl did the lyrics and slash did music. izzy wrote more songs for gnr than slash did. izzy wrote tons of gnrs lyrics and music (you could be mind, patience, double talkin jive, mr brownstone, out ta get me, etc). i think he wrote just as much, if not more, than axl did. also duff wrote some (its so easy, cowrote paradise city, etc).

get the facts straight, kiddo.

Did your opinion really need a whole new thread? There are millions of thread that say similar things to this, why start a new one?

There are people who think Axl "wins" and others who think Slash/the others "win". Both parties could happily co-exist if they weren't so damn intent on converting each other with pointless rants.

At the end of the day, none of the members of the original GNR will sound as good doing other projects. I think people need to let go of 1987 and realise that it's now 2006 and there's alot more better music out there than what these former GNR members are putting out.

regardless of whose side you're on. Yeah Axl's a great writer, yeah he makes cool tunes with great sense of melody and intricate intertwining parts that flow well together.

But they're not worth 10+ years of waiting. You gotta give the man a shorter leash.

Maybe then we'd see GNR more often than every 5 or so years just for a few concerts.

I was once worried too. It's all hearsay as to who write what in GnR after the fact. How much Axl needed Slash? How much actual hook and MELODY were inspired by Slash? Scary thought. I heard OMG too, I was worried.

When he really feels something, and lets the melodic genius rip out of him, and gives to the full vision of the song, it's simply spectacular. I will site for my two example of this 3:00 on in TWAT, and 3:56 on in CITR. This, though, is the mark of a great song. The writer will not give it all up in the first chorus or verse, the chords are the same, but it has not opened up yet. Think of Freddie and Brian May, The Doors, Robert and Jimmy, The Beatles, how they were subdued at the start of their great songs in the same manner. They intentionally bring it up and down, derail it ...almost, to the final blow out at the end. The hitch is having a great melody coming out of you that grabs people in the heart and gut, Axl's specialty, otherwise it's journey to nowhere that nobody cares to go on.

Nobody writes this way anymore, Axl's one of the last great one who did, and his writing now is superb and far advanced from where it was. There were clear signs of this in UYI, it's grown since then quite a bit though.

This is why you can't even get too upset at remarks inferior writers make, good songs in the STP catalog, as in Chris Cornell's and Layne Staley's, sure, good stuff in there. Nothing that special though. Not in the big picture that was and is Rock and Roll. Axl's music will be listened to in 50 years, and beyond. Here, I'll pose the question this way. Look at the 2 lists below off both bands "Greatest Hits" albums. Which do you think will still be listened to and played on radio in 20, 30, 50 years? And just make it really fair, I'll only post some of GnR's album against all Of STP's

A:

Vasoline

Down

Wicked Garden

Big Empty

Plush

Big Bang Baby

Creeep

Lady Picture Show

Interstate Love Song

Sex Type Thing

Days Of The Week

Sour Girl

Plush (Acoustic Version)

B

Welcome To The Jungle

Sweet Child O' Mine

Patience

Paradise City

Civil War

Don't Cry (Original)

November Rain

Peace, Jim

This is gonna send REALLY ignorant but i really need to know... um... who's STP ? i mean..wat band does it stand for? :krider: :huh:

A:

Vasoline

Down

Wicked Garden

Big Empty

Plush

Big Bang Baby

Creeep

Lady Picture Show

Interstate Love Song

Sex Type Thing

Days Of The Week

Sour Girl

Plush (Acoustic Version)

B

Welcome To The Jungle

Sweet Child O' Mine

Patience

Paradise City

Civil War

Don't Cry (Original)

November Rain

Peace, Jim

This is gonna send REALLY ignorant but i really need to know... um... who's STP ? i mean..wat band does it stand for? :krider: :huh:

It stands for Stone Temple Pilots: Scott Weilands old band. . . . .

A:

Vasoline

Down

Wicked Garden

Big Empty

Plush

Big Bang Baby

Creeep

Lady Picture Show

Interstate Love Song

Sex Type Thing

Days Of The Week

Sour Girl

Plush (Acoustic Version)

B

Welcome To The Jungle

Sweet Child O' Mine

Patience

Paradise City

Civil War

Don't Cry (Original)

November Rain

Peace, Jim

It stands for Stone Temple Pilots: Scott Weilands old band. . . . .

I believe originally it was supposed to be Shirley Temple's Pussy.

will still be listened to and played on radio in 20, 30, 50 years? And just make it really fair, I'll only post some of GnR's album against all Of STP's

A:

Vasoline

Down

Wicked Garden

Big Empty

Plush

Big Bang Baby

Creeep

Lady Picture Show

Interstate Love Song

Sex Type Thing

Days Of The Week

Sour Girl

Plush (Acoustic Version)

B

Welcome To The Jungle

Sweet Child O' Mine

Patience

Paradise City

Civil War

Don't Cry (Original)

November Rain

Peace, Jim

Dude, as a fan of both STP and GNR, GNR is way better, and will be remembered that way. STP is pretty much a Pearl Jam ripoff band. With that said...

In spite of your huge boner for Axl, there is no proof the guy can write crap. Most GNR songs were collaborations, and I'm sorry, but the new demos don't come close to past GNR stuff. Maybe CD will be great, but not of the songs leaked are the better songs on it.

Axl is a great frontman, but there is a reason he relied so heavily on cover tunes after AFD, and there is a reason he hasn't released crap in years. I am starting to buy into the rhetoric that he couldn't write his own stuff. The new stuff sounds like reprocessed Elton John tunes.

Peace,

Screetcher

STP and Pearl Jam sound nothing alike IMO.

Ok, finally have time to reply to all these Q's and statements, so in no particular order....

^^^^:rofl-lol: yeah totally since songs like Estranged TWAT and November Rain had horrible lyrics

Hardly. Estranged has great lyrics, and was also written at a much later date than November Rain, ok lyrics. My only complaint is the blatant Dylan ripp-off "talk so loud, walk so proud", but maybe it's an intentional tribute. :rolleyes:

Wins what exactly?

What is the point of this thread?

Cornell is a much better lyricist than Axl, btw.

The second question is asked a few times, I'll also answer why I'm comparing STP to GNR at the same time.

Weiland responds to Axl's comments on Slash, Slash has no response, Weiland comes out, acting like a 14 year old, accusing Axl of being unable to write songs, make an album, etc. He, therefore, is now comparing his writing ability to that of Axl's. This is exactly the point and purpose of this thread...If I have to actually name one that is, lol.

Wins what? Good question. In the 60's there were bands like The Doors, Hendrix, Joplin, Early Zep and Purple, Cream, etc. They all went down in history forever, they have not been forgotten, they "won" by definition meant here. In the 70's more Zep and Purple, Sabbath, Springsteen, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, etc, also in the same "time will rememeber them" standing.

Then there were also bands like Night Sun, Three Man Army, Lucifer's Friend, Toad, Stray, JeronimoFlower Travellin' Band, Steam, The Peepermint Rainbow, Mercy, Crazy Elephant, Alternative TV, The Au Pairs, Slime, etc. Some of you may know of some of them, most don't, they "lost" by same defined definition.

Who stands the test of time, and maybe even years later can still write great material, maybe even better. That, my friends, is the "contest".

As to Axl's lyrics vs. Cornell's, I also disagree, but hey, I never said Axl was Dylan in the poetry department. He means what he writes though, sometimes painting a pretty dam good picture or, to use the phrase again, evokes imagery to the listener. He's no slouch with the pen though, comparitive to some.

regardless of whose side you're on. Yeah Axl's a great writer, yeah he makes cool tunes with great sense of melody and intricate intertwining parts that flow well together.

But they're not worth 10+ years of waiting. You gotta give the man a shorter leash.

Maybe then we'd see GNR more often than every 5 or so years just for a few concerts.

I agree with that, but here we still are! Why? Stands the test of time.

Peace,

Screetcher

If you think pointing out greatness in music is indivative of displaying a "boner", you must get pretty darn excited on these rock message boards, so I'll remember not to shake your hand if we ever cross path's.

Yes, Slash can write a good riff still, Izzy wrote a lot too, there were many good contributions overall, agreed. They had a formula to divide royalties, based on melody, guitar, bass, lyrics, etc. Axl's percentage is over 50% when all was factored together. This is more than Slash, Izzy, Duff, and even Adler... combined. Slash and Duff are still writing great riffs for VR, and I'm sure it's very frustrating for them that the songs never quite get to the level of GnR when the melody is written. Every song sorta sounds like a bland...Stone Temple Pilots song. The missing ingredient is now releasing his 1st new album in really 15 years, and it's a great one from what I hear. Sorry you don't hear it, maybe you need to hear the finished works over the demo's. Maybe there's no accounting for taste, or lack thereof. Who can say?

Cornell is a good singer but lacks the soul in his voice that Axl has.

Without a doubt.

Top that with his composing genius, Chi-Dem should be a smash!!! :) (obligatory 'positive note' ending)

Edited by axlskAmpf

Who stands the test of time, and maybe even years later can still write great material

on both counts, Slash & Co. have won as well because no matter who is in the band now...

GNR will always be remembered for their days with Slash & Co.

and

Slash & Co. will always be remembered for their days with GNR.

But

much like Axl no doubt will, Slash & Co. have had success to this day and are out there playing their asses off.

Who stands the test of time, and maybe even years later can still write great material

on both counts, Slash & Co. have won as well because no matter who is in the band now...

GNR will always be remembered for their days with Slash & Co.

and

Slash & Co. will always be remembered for their days with GNR.

But

much like Axl no doubt will, Slash & Co. have had success to this day and are out there playing their asses off.

True, well put. Slash is definitely a big part of the history.

Edited by axlskAmpf