Axl is going to tour again with no album, obviously

Kaneda

Gunners,

It's unequivocal that with Axl taking the stage in May, time is running out on Axl to get the album released before then. With under two months to go, it's highly unlikely that the marketing/promotion machine has the time necessary to blow this out for a May release. What makes no sense to me, and I am sure the rest of you are baffled as well, is why Axl even took GNR on the road 4 years ago and then delivered nothing...So this tour is exciting for all of us, but it still does not mean we are any closer to getting Chinese D. The leaked tracks are really no sign of things to come because they were not leaked by Axl himself. So I think this new tour is going to be very interesting, indeed. It's been 4 years since he performed live, will he sound better, worse? Will there be 3 guitarist or 2, and if 3, who replaced bucket?

If back in 2002 when they were touring, I came onto the forum and said we would still be without an album in April/May of 2006, all of you would have chastised me. But here we are, and no it's all starting over again, a European Tour, then probably onto the VMAs again, then an American leg of the tour. But still no official release date.

Personally I think Axl has been a fool for holding onto this material for so long. He should have at least had a studio single out by now. He also looks damn old nowadays. Anyone else feel this way? He looked so much more vibrant and personable back in 2001-2002...but all of these recent Axl shots depect an old man that's hard to look at. He used to be a sex simble back in the Illusion Days, now he looks washed up old man. I don't think he is in great shape and I am worried, that even though the studio material will be great, Axl is going to sound terrible on tour this time around. He struggled in 2002, just compare any of those bootlegs to bootlegs from 91-92, and 4 years have passed and he's probably been sitting on his ass.

My prediction is the studio material is amazing, but GNR LIVE shows are going to be an embarrassment. Which is why I am more excited for the album than any concert. But still no album, depressing.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post. I think you summarised basically all of our greatest fears. It just doesn't make sense to begin a tour and release the album half way through. I don't understand that at all. I too fear that over the course of the past 4 years Axl's voice may have broken down even further and become weaker. In 2002 as the shows progressed his performance naturally improved but for this to be a success he better have been practising like a hawk.

This time last year I thought things were too far gone and the album would never be released but now things have obviously changed. Axl is appearing in public all the time, we have demos to show our wait is not in vain, we have a tour booked (even if there is only one UK tour date <_< ) and a promise of ''music this year''. So it is bullshit that we haven't had any kind of announcement but at the same time I still get that feeling that our chances are greater than ever.

Keep the faith B)

Hopefully that'll be the last time I ever have to say that.

Do you not remeber that GNR toured before Use Your Illusion 1 + 2 was released in the US

True, although that was like 4 albums (effectively) worth of material to tour on, which made people anxious for the studio version. So far, it's only been something like 8 tracks - barely an album. If they come out gung-ho for a long tour, on a large album or two, it'll be so much more commerically successful.

I think that's the key difference here. In 2002 the album was clearly very far from finished. Fast forward to 2006 and the buzz is that it's pretty much done. I believe the album will be out in time for a US tour. I also believe that the forthcoming European tour will feature a lot more new material ( or at least a selection of new material).

Gunners,

It's unequivocal that with Axl taking the stage in May, time is running out on Axl to get the album released before then. With under two months to go, it's highly unlikely that the marketing/promotion machine has the time necessary to blow this out for a May release.

It can easily be that the marketing machine will only kick in then..

What makes no sense to me, and I am sure the rest of you are baffled as well, is why Axl even took GNR on the road 4 years ago and then delivered nothing...

It has been said a few times that the reason for that tour was to give the (then) line up some tour legs, and to judge the feel of the response.

Personally I think Axl has been a fool for holding onto this material for so long. He should have at least had a studio single out by now.

No one has a clue about why is it that the album was delayed for so long...it will eventually come out, but it could be a billion different things...there's a reason why all those guys stuck by him for so long....they know something we don't.

He also looks damn old nowadays. Anyone else feel this way?

yes, I don't like his appearance now at all...but fuck it, he's back, and willing to tour, so that's awesome news....and its Axl Rose..

My prediction is the studio material is amazing, but GNR LIVE shows are going to be an embarrassment. Which is why I am more excited for the album than any concert. But still no album, depressing.

Depends on your definition of embarrasment....i know that for me every single outing he makes on stage will be terribly exciting...whatever he sounds or looks like.

Edited by elmir

Do you not remeber that GNR toured before Use Your Illusion 1 + 2 was released in the US

I'm not sure the same comparison applies here for one thing, GNR in that era was on top of the world,

it also was a functioning band, as opposed to a collection of session players,

the GNR then and this new project are not one and the same.

Stinson, Brain etc maybe happy to work on other projects and see Axl Rose's band as an investment,

afterall they've been paid either way what do they care if the band releases an album or not, their not reliant on it, its just an extra couple of quid in their pockets should it happen.

GNR circa 1990s were different they were more reliant and they were more of a functioning unit, therefore perhaps there was stronger motavation to tour/release material, a band effort sort of speak, in the present situation, the motavatory factor lies on the shoulders of one "perfectionist" (a psychologist would be more inclined to say obsessive compulsive), with no welcoming environment (people in the general believe the band to be either A. broken up or B. a joke).

This current "band" are no were near the same level in popularity as GNR were during the illusion era, the expectation from the causual fan maybe just to see a show like some touring tribute band, rather than expect an album, this was not the case in 1990s were the band was considered active and people expected an immenent(sp?) release, Axl has not got the same level of pressure on him as then, the world is not watching, therefore the connection between the two scenarios is a tenious one.

Also I wonder how many people outside the fandom have heard these new songs? Thier exposure has been reasonably mininmal (granted alot for a demo), they're of a good quality but I would believe that many know little or nothing of Mr Roses new material, this would also serve to aleaviate pressure from Rose to make a release

There maybe no CD after this tour, a fact I'm becoming more convinced of as the days go on, this year may not by one for Chinese Democracy but on the plus side real China is becoming more and more a free market economy which may eventually lead to break up of the psuedo communism they have in place there and instill some form of rudementry (albeit most likely corrupt) democracy, much like present day Russia. So at least we maybe able to say with some certainty that we will see Chinese Democracy in our life times.

Edited by Mr Estranged

I understand what you're saying about him being out of shape. The age thing you mention ('old man') doesn't really bother me, we all get old. However, I do think that the level of how fit he is affects his performance. It would be nice if he had a personal trainer busting his ass right now so he would come out in fighting shape.

But, as someone pointed out here, in the 2002 tour he got better as he went on but sucked at first. He didn't prepare and was actually starting his training on the tour. Getting in shape BEFORE the tour -should- be what a concert of this caliber demands. I don't think it's very professional to not prepare for the fans.

Edited by mcalldp

CD will be released during the tour or just after the tour ends!

It must be released before U.S. tour. I don't think a tour of that size will be supported in the U.S. market without CD drop first. I mean who is even going to back it? CC droped him last time and they pretty much own the concert ring.

Euro dates, warm up and get the band tight- drop CD, hit America with a scorch the earth tour. Add a second leg of Euro tour dates after CD drops as well...These initial dates better just be the warm up, pre-party.

CD drops this year or most everyone, in their heart, will call Guns a wash now. A decade on....it's now or never.

Edited by mcalldp

If he doesn't release that album before the European tour he is screwed.

If he plays new songs at those shows, the whole album will have essentially leaked between all of the news songs that have leaked and all of the new ones he plays, plus the ones from the 2002 tour. That kind of takes the wind out of the album a bit as most of the mystery will be gone.

If he doesn't play new songs and just re-hashes the 2002 setlist he is going to be flamed to kingdom come by fans and media alike as nothing but a hack.

So it is easy to see how he puts himself in a very bad position if he tours again without an album. Then again he hasn't used much common sense throughout this entire process, so why should we expect him to start now?

If he plays new songs at those shows, the whole album will have essentially leaked between all of the news songs that have leaked and all of the new ones he plays, plus the ones from the 2002 tour. That kind of takes the wind out of the album a bit as most of the mystery will be gone.

If he doesn't play new songs and just re-hashes the 2002 setlist he is going to be flamed to kingdom come by fans and media alike as nothing but a hack.

So it is easy to see how he puts himself in a very bad position if he tours again without an album. Then again he hasn't used much common sense throughout this entire process, so why should we expect him to start now?

Yea....he needs some stronger team members helping him a bit with direction I think. Let him concentrate on the music and let go of some of the other details. I know he's a perfectionist and obsessive but you can't be all things...just be a musician. I would like to see someone tell him to get his ass in the gym instead of sitting around drinking and smoking cigars before tour dates. He's going to sound like shit if he doesn't get in shape.

You're one of the few people here who I'd like to see in GNR Management now. Then all this wouldn't be as ridiculous as it is now (as it is since the last 4 to 6 years...).

You're one of the few people here who I'd like to see in GNR Management now. Then all this wouldn't be as ridiculous as it is now (as it is since the last 4 to 6 years...).

It really doesn't matter who is in GN'R management. Axl is the one making the retarded decisions and his management people are a bunch of weak "yes men" who can't tell him that he's making mistakes.

It really doesn't matter who is in GN'R management. Axl is the one making the retarded decisions and his management people are a bunch of weak "yes men" who can't tell him that he's making mistakes.

Hard to argue otherwise.

Case in point...Merck. Does this man have any credibility with anyone here?

Yes and no. There are certainly things people other than Axl involved in this process could do to "lean on him" that would make him very uncomfortable and possibly compell him to release an album.

That would be considered the nuclear option with him. I think everyone involved with the process has treated him with kid gloves because they know how mentally fragile he is, and ultimately want his cooperation as that is the best way to hopefully make this thing as big as possible in the end.

There will come a day however if he doesn't release that album soon that some arm-twisting will occur and we will see an album. The only thing as fans we have going for us is that the label will at some point seek to recoup their 13 million dollar investment, and Axl isn't going to bite that bullet himself. That is how we know we will see the album at some point, the question is how soon.

There will come a day however if he doesn't release that album soon that some arm-twisting will occur and we will see an album. The only thing as fans we have going for us is that the label will at some point seek to recoup their 13 million dollar investment, and Axl isn't going to bite that bullet himself. That is how we know we will see the album at some point, the question is how soon.

that has been repaid already through other album sales...like GH, Apettite, and UYI....all of them combined over the past 12 yrs have paid that money over.

I think you all are underestimating what the majority of fans want and that is the OLD songs! People don't go to see the likes of the Rolling Stones, Motley Crue and Metallica to hear new stuff as their current set lists prove, and the same applies to Guns 'n' Roses. Even if CD is released prior to the Euro shows songs from it will account for the minority of the set. The only question that really matters is can these new guys deliver the goods like the original band did, and we all know the answer to that... NO FUCKING WAY! :fuckyou:

Yes and no. There are certainly things people other than Axl involved in this process could do to "lean on him" that would make him very uncomfortable and possibly compell him to release an album.

You mean like releasing tracks? :laugh:

Axl needs the kind of people that wil handle a lot of details for him outside of the area of making music so he can concentrate on just that. problem is he won't let anyone in that position. No, Merk does not count. I think Merk is just around to have Axl's baby when he decides to settle down....or something like that. :monkey:

I would not be too worried about bootlegs coming out of the new material from the summer concerts, if October 2nd is the scheduled release date then it is far play to give the fans a taster of the new material, besides we all know what Madagascar, The Blues, Chinese Democracy sound live and we have heard the demos of IRS, Better, There Was A Time and Catcher In The Rye so to play those songs live along with the older material will not be detrimental to album sales.

Maybe Axl will suprise the summer audiences with a new track, let's see but it will still be only a live track that the bootleggers and us will get hold of.

I firmly believe that the summer shows are in part a way to promote the new album and let the world know GNR are back, once that has been established and the journo's have heard the new material in a live format they will be more prepared for writing a review of the studio material.

I suspect a single will be realeased during or directly after the summer concerts and then the whole thing will kick off for sure then Axl will take his band and tour the US during the winter.

Secondly there is no need to worry, yeah indeed the guy is getting old but he is far away from the like of Mick Jagger who may not sound as great still gives a great performance, I mean we can cut Axl a little slack on his vocals.

The only worrying part is that some of the summer shows are very close together and I bet Axl is not too chuffed at singing on the 28th of June in Norway and having no time to recover as the following day he is back on stage in Denmark.

Wed 6/28 Oslo, Norway Oslo Spektrum

Thu 6/29 Roskilde, Denmark Roskilde Festival

I think you all are underestimating what the majority of fans want and that is the OLD songs! People don't go to see the likes of the Rolling Stones, Motley Crue and Metallica to hear new stuff as their current set lists prove, and the same applies to Guns 'n' Roses. Even if CD is released prior to the Euro shows songs from it will account for the minority of the set. The only question that really matters is can these new guys deliver the goods like the original band did, and we all know the answer to that... NO FUCKING WAY! :fuckyou:

The new band can play the hell out of the old material, I don't know what you're smoking!

None of the bands you mentioned have not provided new material for over a decade and then tried to tour on the old material, (Especially not with an already failed tour, trying to do the same thing, behind them.)

I don't think the majority of fans want the old songs. Sure, the old songs are great but I think the majority of hardcore fans are past ready for new material and would feel insulted, (further) to have a tour without the CD drop first. Less hardcore fans probably just don't care anymore and it would take new material on the radio to get their attention again.

:fuckyou:

Edited by mcalldp

The new band can play the hell out of the old material, I don't know what you're smoking!

None of the bands you mentioned have not provided new material for over a decade and then tried to tour on the old material, (Especially not with an already failed tour, trying to do the same thing, behind them.)

I don't think the majority of fans want the old songs. Sure the old songs are great but I think the majority of hard core fans are past ready for new material and would feel insulted (further) to have a tour without the CD drop first. Les hardcore fans probably just don't care anymore and it would take new material on the radio to get their attention again.

:fuckyou:

Rolling Stones release a Bigger Bang in 2005

Motley Crue released Generation Swine in 1998 and New Tattoo in 2001 and some new tracks on Red White and Crue in 2005

Metallica released ST Anger in 2003 and the current tour is escape from the Studio which sounds like that they need to get on the road and tour

But all of the above have toured on new material