Just saw Poison

sweetness

Ive never been a big glam rock fan, but I just saw Poison and they put on a great fucking show. But it was wierd to see them in casual, not gay clothes, actually it was really cool. As a hardcore GNR fan its wierd to enjoy a Poison concert, but these guys really do rock, especially CC rock4

I know what most of you guys probably think about Poison, but has anybody else seen them and thought they were pretty good?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

POISON IS NOT GLAM ROCK.

On another note, of course you had fun, they are professionals and they know how to play party music.

POISON IS NOT GLAM ROCK.

On another note, of course you had fun, they are professionals and they know how to play party music.

poison-band150.jpg

Really?

I guess they fit under the hair metal catagory more.

Sorry if I'm oversensitive, but I'm a big Glam fan. I only consider things like David Bowie, T. Rex, Slade, Mott the Hoople, Gary Glitter and maybe New York Dolls to be Glam. Hair Metal bands like Poison did the whole dress up thing, but they had almost nothing in common with Glam Rock musically.

Poison are... Cheesy. Cheesy can be good. It's all about having a fucking party and that's what they do well, feelgood music all the way.

And they ain't glam rock.

Seeing as sweetness has just posted a picture asking why they're not glam, glam rock/glam is a completely different genre popularized in Britain in the early 1970's, it consists of artists/bands like:

David Bowie

Roxy Music

Slade

T. Rex

Gary Glitter

As for the US: The New York Dolls, who are considered glam whether they sounded like it or not (Or fucking gay hooray for tolerance!s as you said).

Hair metal is entirely different, and the only hair band that bears resemblance and/or is clearly influenced by Glam rockers is Def Leppard.

POISON IS NOT GLAM ROCK.

poison-band150.jpg

Really?

I guess they fit under the hair metal catagory more.

Sorry if I'm oversensitive, but I'm a big Glam fan. I only consider things like David Bowie, T. Rex, Slade, Mott the Hoople, Gary Glitter and maybe New York Dolls to be Glam. Hair Metal bands like Poison did the whole dress up thing, but they had almost nothing in common with Glam Rock musically.

Alright, I got it.

Poison are... Cheesy. Cheesy can be good. It's all about having a fucking party and that's what they do well, feelgood music all the way.

And they ain't glam rock.

Seeing as sweetness has just posted a picture asking why they're not glam, glam rock/glam is a completely different genre popularized in Britain in the early 1970's, it consists of artists/bands like:

David Bowie

Roxy Music

Slade

T. Rex

Gary Glitter

As for the US: The New York Dolls, who are considered glam whether they sounded like it or not (Or fucking gay hooray for tolerance!s as you said).

Hair metal is entirely different, and the only hair band that bears resemblance and/or is clearly influenced by Glam rockers is Def Leppard.

That clears a lot up too, thanks. As for them being cheesey... whatever. I had a good time watching them play.

Edited by sweetness

Speaking of glam and Bowie, I found this song, "I'm Afraid of Americans", but can't find which album it's on, could you help me with that? AMG gives me a bunch of albums, but I'm not sure which one is was first released on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniGFm_jgRI...avid%20bowie%20

Not exactly conventional Bowie either...

Edited by adnan

As for them being cheesey... whatever. I had a good time watching them play.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Bands like Poison aren't trying to fool you or anything, they were in it for the money from the start. It gives them a sort of purity. I just don't like the music.

I saw Poison twice, in '88 and in '90 and they did put on a good show each time. Not exactly intense but fun nonetheless. I'm also a glam fan and since the topic has sort of veered in that direction, has anyone seen a movie called Velvet Goldmine? It's loosely based on a fictional David Bowie-esque character. Great music with very strong performances from the actors.

As for them being cheesey... whatever. I had a good time watching them play.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Bands like Poison aren't trying to fool you or anything, they were in it for the money from the start. It gives them a sort of purity. I just don't like the music.

Pretty much the same here. I find that a band like Bon Jovi brings more substance to the genre.

Poison are fun, and that's the most important thing.

I saw Poison twice, in '88 and in '90 and they did put on a good show each time. Not exactly intense but fun nonetheless. I'm also a glam fan and since the topic has sort of veered in that direction, has anyone seen a movie called Velvet Goldmine? It's loosely based on a fictional David Bowie-esque character. Great music with very strong performances from the actors.

I think I saw a bit of it once, is "20th Century Boy" performed in it?

Speaking of glam and Bowie, I found this song, "I'm Afraid of Americans", but can't find which album it's on, could you help me with that? AMG gives me a bunch of albums, but I'm not sure which one is was first released on...

Please come to my rescue ODS?

Shit, that's a good song.

Edited by adnan

That's on Earthling, Trent Reznor was involved and is also featured in the video.

That's on Earthling, Trent Reznor was involved and is also featured in the video.

Thanks. Is the rest of the album so industrialized? Need to buy it if so.

I don't have it, I just got into David this year and I only have The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, Young Americans, StationtoStation, Low, "Heroes", and Lodger.

Edited by Ohdistortedsmile1789

POISON IS NOT GLAM ROCK.

You're right, however I still wouldn't have fun - trying to control my puke reflex for 2 hours. BUT if you had a good time more power to you. Cool.

I don't have it, I just got into David this year and I only have The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, Young Americans, StationtoStation, Low, "Heroes", and Lodger.

David Bowie = God

Jeff Buckley = Jesus

:lol:

Seriously David is the best. For some reason I've always been partial to the original band. 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars' album.

I just saw Poison and Cinderella a couple of weeks ago. I went mostly because I got free tickets in my e-mail, but it was alright. Hair metal to the max, baby! :tongue2: Neither bands are really ones I like a lot, but I had a good time.

Thanks. Is the rest of the album so industrialized?

I haven't gone deeply into Bowie's work (it's on the fucking to-do list with a heap of other shit) but he was definitely screwing around with industrial sounding stuff for a while. The Hearts Filthy Lesson is one of my fav Bowie tracks.

Ive never been a big glam rock fan, but I just saw Poison and they put on a great fucking show. But it was wierd to see them in casual, not gay clothes, actually it was really cool. As a hardcore GNR fan its wierd to enjoy a Poison concert, but these guys really do rock, especially CC rock4

I know what most of you guys probably think about Poison, but has anybody else seen them and thought they were pretty good?

Cool. I saw them open for David Lee Roth in 88, then headlining in 1991. They put on a good show.