Is anyone else much less interested in Guns N' Roses than they used to be?

adnan

Before y'all start the lynching, I am still a very big fan of this great band. I listen to them occasionally, but overall I find myself straying more and more away from them with my listening. Maybe because there are better bands that are similar (Aerosmith), who have bigger bodies of work and provide more varied listening, and maybe it's because I've been really straying off into the origins of pre-Zeppelin hard rock as well as listening to a lot of rock n' roll.

I dunno, they just don't seem to be as great as they initially were. I now think of Guns N' Roses as the threshold I passed through to begin my true musical journey. Before GN'R I listened mainly to reggae and blues, and older 60's rock. Now because of GN'R I find myself accessing more music than I ever thought of before I started listening to AFD.

So thank you Guns N' Roses, thank you for helping me on my way. I'm sure I'll make my way back to you sometime.

Edited by adnan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I don't listen to much "Heavy" music at all anymore, but when I did, they were my undisputed favorite. I've achieved something in that I can listen to any form of music at any time now, and Guns N' Roses haven't carried into this phase, atleast not yet. I still think the music was great, I could probably listen to it and enjoy it, but I'm not very anxious to do so.

The way I see it, there's Pop and Folk. Inbetween music, such as Guns N' Roses, seems less pure to me. Even groups like Van Halen seem more pure to me, because you know they were in it for the money. You can say all kinds of lovely things about Guns N' Roses and how they came from the streets and all that, but they could never match the honesty involved in Blues or other Folk musics.

If you asked me who my favorite Rock band was, I would probably say The Smiths at this point, I still enjoy their music a whole lot. But Rock is just a small part of the picture.

I don't listen to much "Heavy" music at all anymore, but when I did, they were my undisputed favorite.

Same here. I used to be way into metal and harder rock... almost exclusively. After hearing GNR, they had that special intangible quality that a lot of other "heavy" bands lacked - After becoming a fan, I started to find bands and artists that would top GNR in my eyes, but nothing in the rock or metal genres.

I'm not as interested as I used to be because the band's lifespan was so short (only 3 full length original albums to their credit), and the mystique around Chinese Democracy is starting to disipate. Still love the band, but they aren't my undisputable favorite group these days.

Edited by EccoTides

Definatly. I hardly ever listen to any studio GnR any more. I'm starting to listen to the 2002 band a lot more though, and I listen to their live recordings a lot more.

But apart from that seemingly everything i am listening to is just getting heavier, like....Im listening to Cannibal Corpse as i type this....

The new band still interests me...but a lot less now without Buckethead.

Yeah I don't listen to them as much as used to but occasionally. The problem is that I have pretty much heard everything from GnR like most of us here and their discography isn't that big compared to some other megabands. If only they had stick together, there would be so much more music but no. If CD is released this year, I think I listen to that 24/7. But if not, I am not gonna slice my wrists open, because there are so much more music out there that I haven't even discovered yet. :krider:

All the bands i listen to have different periods.I listen to a few bands for a few months day in and day out.Now it`s been alot of Queen,London Cowboys and Blind Melon.

Then it changes all of a sudden.

I haven`t lost any interest in Gn`r,that`s for sure.Still as interested as i always have been.

At this point I definitely listen to them less, although I still love the music. For some strange reason, I am still drawn to the forums every day checking for news and downloading every available bootleg. I think I am more obsessed with the idea of Chinese Democracy and the peculiar cult that has built up around it than the actual music.

I listen to a wide spectrum of music, and if I am in the mood for something loud and bluesy, it's going to be old GN'R. The only times I listen to the new stuff is when I am trying in vain to proove that they are still a great band to a friend or sometimes to myself.

I sure haven't become less interested in GN'R. Maybe because I saw them live (and also because of the mystique surrounding the band) they became something untouchable for me at the moment. Listening to GN'R for me is incredible, every time I hear their songs, I notice something new... It hasn't faded away and I don't think it will in the near future. That doesn't mean I don't listen to anything else, but for me, they are #1 undisputed, way ahead of my second favourite artist, Bob Dylan.

Yes I dont listen to them that much anymore, but they're still my favorite of course.

It isn't the same as 3years ago, in those 3years you really do get bored of the material, especially because theres so little of it.

You hit the nail on the head there Rosey. If you overplay it all the time every time it just gets bored. And if you combine it with a lot of the other great music out there you keep having that enjoyment of hearing a gnr song or album again every now and then. It all goes with ups and downs, but that's natural.

Same here. I stopped listening to the leaks about a month ago. I'm gonna wait until the new album comes out, hopefully within the next 2 months. (fingers crossed)

To be perfectly honest,I find myself wondering what the hell some people are doing at this forum.

Threads that talk about how cool the Spice Girls are,what an amazing talent Shakira is etc. alongside comments about how crappy Zeppelin is or how Hendrix is just a bunch of noise etc.

It makes me wonder how the hell certain people ever got into GnR at all!

But on topic,I haven't lost interest in GnR at all.I first joined this board in '02 and became an active participant and actually enjoyed it...but when the tour crashed and burned eveything became a trash Axl fest and it got tedious and boring so I moved on.The reason I am back is because Axl is back...the first time I saw that guy live on stage in '91 I witnessed one of the greatest front men I have ever seen live.I have heard it stated in a few biography shows about GnR,that,if you saw Axl Rose on stage on a night where everything was clicking...you saw the best front man to ever grace a concert stage...and I truly believe that...I've witnessed it.

I firmly believed that GnR were poised to take the crown from the Stones,they could have easily been playing stadiums in to their 60's.

To me...what made them unique WAS their honesty...it was their honest approach that made them volatile,unpredictable and explosive.And it's that energy that keeps me fascinated to this day,even with the new line up.

I don't listen to the leaks much I must confess...haven't given them more than a couple of run throughs...I prefer to wait for the finished product.

I had a 5 hour roadtrip yesterday and Spaghetti Incident got played among other cd's going and returning.

Nah...I haven't lost interest at all,but,at this forum..I find MY World far more entertaining than the main GnR board at the moment,all the speculation threads have been played out and things seem to be going in circles.

Anyhoo...as long as Axl Rose is around in the rock and roll world,I'll be interested in what he's up to.

Edited by zint61

I went through my obsessive Guns N' Roses stage for about a year. Now when I listen to the songs, of course they are great, but it's not as cool as before. I always kill my favourites through overplaying...but hopefully in a few months it will sound fresh again.

It's just hard to recapture that same excitement you have when you first "discover" a band or an album that blows your mind.

Edited by Roses

I still listen to them probably more than any other band...i'm not as obsessive as how I was in the beginning but i'm still pretty crazy about 'em! Motley Crue and aerosmith took over for a while, but Guns will always be my favorite band of all time.

It seems like my interest with them comes in like, shifts. Like I'll get bored of them for awhile and then in like a month I start lusting for the music again :lol:

I went through my obsessive Guns N' Roses stage for about a year. Now when I listen to the songs, of course they are great, but it's not as cool as before. I always kill my favourites through overplaying...but hopefully in a few months it will sound fresh again.

It's just hard to recapture that same excitement you have when you first "discover" a band or an album that blows your mind.

Right on.

The Old GnR were the 'most dangerous band in the world' and so kept you interested all the time.

The New GnR don't have that element of danger, so they're less interesting. Not alot has happened concerning them-only Axl has been in the press for things he's done like biting a guard. They don't even mention the other guys.

Fuck, even VR are more 'dangerous' these days than the other GnR band members :lol:

I don't think I'll ever lose interest in Old GnR as they are like my favourite band of all time, but I don't know about the New GnR..it all depends on whether CD is released or not.