Motley Crue

adnan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love what they stand/stood for and that they became such a huge band. I used to really like them, but now they kind of just sound really dated. When you stick on AFD it still sounds fresh, but when I listen to early Motley Crue it is a bit cringeworthy....

Obviously there will always be times when you just need to throw on Girls Girls Girls or Dr Feelgood though!

I always liked them somewhat, but re-listening to some of the albums, it becomes apparent that I definitely underrated them. Vince was a good vocalist, Mick's guitar is great, Tommy is a great drummer (that I never denied), and the rest of the band is also really good (especially Nikki).

That made me laugh :laugh:

As it don't make sense... Motley has 4 members, you already named 3, and then said the rest of the band is good (espescially the 4th member) :laugh:

I'm not a Motley Crue fan, I thought there might be a rythm guitarist.

Red1: From what I've heard, the heavier stuff (NOT GGG/Dr. Feelgood) is better. Stuff like "Live Wire" and "Wild Side" are great.

Edited by adnan

Motley Crue [1994] is their best album and their modern stuff is musically miles ahead of their old '80s hair metal trash. They had some good rock-out songs like Kickstart and Dr. and Girls back then but the majority of their albums was complete repetitive filler. The stuff from '94 - '01 was excellent and underrated.

L. Ron Hubbard!!!

:fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou:

I always liked them somewhat, but re-listening to some of the albums, it becomes apparent that I definitely underrated them. Vince was a good vocalist, Mick's guitar is great, Tommy is a great drummer (that I never denied), and the rest of the band is also really good (especially Nikki).

As it don't make sense... Motley has 4 members, you already named 3, and then said the rest of the band is good (espescially the 4th member) :laugh:

Red1: From what I've heard, the heavier stuff (NOT GGG/Dr. Feelgood) is better. Stuff like "Live Wire" and "Wild Side" are great.

Wild Side is from Girls Girls Girls though. Try some of the Shout At The Devil Stuff. Thats good

Wild Side is from Girls Girls Girls though. Try some of the Shout At The Devil Stuff. Thats good

I meant the songs. I guess Red1 meant the albums, not the songs....

Another thing I don't understand, is that everyone hate Crüe with John Corabi. He is really a great songwriter and he is a much better singer than Neil. I like Vince better than Corabi, but Corabi is underrated.

Yeah, Corabi's underrated. His voice gave a nice twist to the Motley music, and it was a nice venture they took when he was in the band.

Guest cherry_bomb

ive never really like the crue. they have a cool image and reputation, i like that. but really, i think vince neil is one of the worst vocalists ever. there are a few songs i can listen to, then i just wanna put a pillow of vince's face. awful.

I've never really got into Motley Crue, or any other American 'hair metal' group. Exactly the type of band that was shown for what they were when AFD came out. . . .

LA

that's BS. Motley's next album was their biggest ever, "Dr. Feelgood". you're lumping the Crue in with all the Vinnie Vincent Invasion's and Keel's of the world. Motley were an original, influential and important band in the realm of hard rock. some of you dopes are so frickin' clueless. any of you who call them hair metal are getting it all wrong. just like the Led-clones of the '70's, Motley produced alot of uninspiring wannabes that the record labels used to cash in on Motley's success. these bands were the cheese, not Motley. sure, the Crue had a glam look for one album, but to call them hair metal is missing the point and disrespectfully minimalizing a really good band that wrote alot of good songs. Van Halen with Roth "looked" like a hair band, too. however, they clearly were not. neither were Motley.

Edited by artfromtex

I've never really got into Motley Crue, or any other American 'hair metal' group. Exactly the type of band that was shown for what they were when AFD came out. . . .

LA

that's BS. Motley's next album was their biggest ever, "Dr. Feelgood". you're lumping the Crue in with all the Vinnie Vincent Invasion's and Keel's of the world. Motley were an original, influential and important band in the realm of hard rock. some of you dopes are so frickin' clueless. any of you who call them hair metal are getting it all wrong. just like the Led-clones of the '70's, Motley produced alot of uninspiring wannabes that the record labels used to cash in on Motley's success. these bands were the cheese, not Motley. sure, the Crue had a glam look for one album, but to call them hair metal is missing the point and disrespectfully minimalizing a really good band that wrote alot of good songs. Van Halen with Roth "looked" like a hair band, too. however, they clearly were not. neither were Motley.

I'm speaking from my own personal experience dude. Maybe you saw Motley Crue differently. I'm sure a lot of people in the US saw Motley Crue as a decent band, but those unfamiliar with them in the UK, or indeed those who were familiar with them, bracketed them in the 'hair metal' category.

GNR escaped this, because they were different. Sure Motley had the attitude, but they didn't have the songs, or weren't too different to a lot of the guitar bands of the 80's. Unlike GNR. JMO...

LA

LA

I'm speaking from my own personal experience dude. Maybe you saw Motley Crue differently. I'm sure a lot of people in the US saw Motley Crue as a decent band, but those unfamiliar with them in the UK, or indeed those who were familiar with them, bracketed them in the 'hair metal' category.

GNR escaped this, because they were different. Sure Motley had the attitude, but they didn't have the songs, or weren't too different to a lot of the guitar bands of the 80's. Unlike GNR. JMO...

LA

i've got no problem with you anyone simply not liking them. everyone's entitled to their opinion. i just think they get lumped in with some bands that they are obviously superior to. if you wanna lump Motley in with Def Leppard or Van Halen, that's fine. but when i hear the Poison and Warrant comparisons i want to cut off my balls with a rusty spoon!!!!

peace.....

LA

Crue weren't the hair metal cliche per say, that was Bon Jovi or Cinderella, if we're being super-specific, I would group them with Sleaze rock bands.

LA

LA

i've got no problem with you anyone simply not liking them. everyone's entitled to their opinion. i just think they get lumped in with some bands that they are obviously superior to. if you wanna lump Motley in with Def Leppard or Van Halen, that's fine. but when i hear the Poison and Warrant comparisons i want to cut off my balls with a rusty spoon!!!!

peace.....

I hear ya :)

LA

Sixx would be a bassist for a band created by God.

satan.

as far as my comment before goes - i think his bass playing is OK just not amazing. i think his song writing and attitude more than make up for any technical deficiencies. i still love the guy...

Another thing I don't understand, is that everyone hate Crüe with John Corabi. He is really a great songwriter and he is a much better singer than Neil. I like Vince better than Corabi, but Corabi is underrated.

Yeah, Corabi's underrated. His voice gave a nice twist to the Motley music, and it was a nice venture they took when he was in the band.

the self titled album is awesome, i really never understood why it doesn't get the recognition it deserves... corabi is the man on that album

Edited by bass71player

I think that Mötley's versions of both Helter Skelter and Anarchy are awesome, maybe even better than the originals, at least Anarchy.

Street Fighting Man, however, sucks bigtime!

i totally fogot they did streetfighting man... i actually really like that cover

it also reminded me of the 'smokin in the boys room' cover, which was IMO atrocious and yet some people absolutely love it.

they've done a tone of covers apparently, i never sat down and thought about it

Edited by bass71player

LA

Crue weren't the hair metal cliche per say, that was Bon Jovi or Cinderella, if we're being super-specific, I would group them with Sleaze rock bands.

Yeah, Crue wern't "Hair Metal". If you listen to their first album it's kind of glam rock with an element of pop (well the majority of the album). The Dirt explains all the stages visually and musically they went through. I think if people read that, no matter how fabricated or un fabricated it is, people would understand Motley a lot more. For example Girls Girls Girls is a result of Vince Neil (trying to) becoming the next Hugh Heffner!

I love Motley Crue. One of my favourite bands. I don't know why people don't like them. Vince back in the day was a fucking awsome frontman, Mick is a totally underrated guitarist and the other 2 are just legends anyway. Too Fast For Love is probably my favourite Crue album. It's quite Glam and pop as well as rock. It's a fucking cool album.

Most people hate Vince Neil. Why? Fuck knows. He's fucking awsome. Considering all the shit he went through aswell. If you read the chapter in The Dirt about Skylar his daughter i'm sure most people would understand why he went off the rails a bit. Thats really sad. But hey he bounced back!

Yeah some of the stuff they did was pretty shit. Theatre of Pain and Girls Girls Girls could have been so much better. But on the whole, fucking brilliant songs!

Check out the 83 American festival they did. They fuckin won that thing hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0N-YnQNno - Shout At The Devil 1st time they ever played it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYHr1Y_U7E0 - Knock 'em Dead Kid

- Bastard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4jFgR57-_s...ted&search= - Take Me To The Top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXNQq_vkxWE...ted&search= - Merry Go Round

Despite microphone problems...Brilliant!!!

in that Shout at the Devil video Vince really sucked... you could see how the guitarist (can't remember the name right now) was pissed becouse of Neil's voice in the end of the song