Nov. Rain should be taken out of the setlist

GOLDEN

November Rain is perfect with the new band except for one thing.

Axl sounds great.

Fortus' solo is great.

Ron's outro solo is AMAZING - the best thing he does in the band.

Can you guess what brings it down yet? Yep - Finck's shitty solo.

You are absolutely right man. I heard a bootleg on newgnr.com with bucket doing it a few years back and it was much better.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink:

Playing your own song at your own concert does not make you a sellout.

Finck sounds amazing during that solo. wub.gif

You realize that you are in the minority on that one, right? And you always blame it on fans wanting Slash back, as if it's not possible to just dislike Robin's playing. :rolleyes: I've praised the guy for the new stuff he's written and played, and even for some of the old stuff he plays (he does the Patience solo really well for example). But other stuff just sounds so, soooo bad. It almost sounds like a bunch of random choppy notes put together, with no flow whatsoever. This is what puts people off about the guy. And yeah, it probably does have something to do with Slash. Fans will expect Slash's replacement to play Slash's solos up to Slash's standards. There is nothing wrong with that. Amazing solos are a big part of what made GN'R, so that needs to be preserved. I have lots of faith in Robin's abilities on new material, but the old? Well, not so much.

I dont think I was in the minority for the people who were actually at the show, and those are the ones who actually matter. Like I said, from standing right on the middle rail on the floor (almost dead in the middle), the loudest applause for the guitarists was most certainly for Finck, on both nights.

Many have mentioned the demolition of Slash's solos in the song live, but I must comment on Axl's voice for this song in 2006. Nov. Rain was never really a good song to play live because Axl's voice is so perfect in the studio. Now it just blows.

Why would they play a song that sound so terrible live in the first place vocally...(not b/c Axl sucks but because he has to match such a beautiful voice in the studio version) and make it worse?

To make the fans happy, not the true fans but the fans that only know the classics? Is that why? That is called a sellout.

The song should of never been played live in the first place, but please remove it from the set and include another song that sounds better.

Also remove Out To Get Me....but thats another story

Just wanted to rant about how much Nov. Rain hurts my ears live now...sorry for wasting your time...

i know i know...ill just save everyone the trouble and put it in NOW......." :sleeper: "

You need to get your ears checked.. :monkey:

We all know that Finck is a quality guitarist.

... :huh:

---------------------

I dont think they'll be dropping November Rain anytime soon..

just like WTTJ, SCOM, and PC..

I think its expected to be played...

so, as far as I can see..

its stayin'...

If he wasn't, Axl wouldn't have had him in this band for almost 10 years, and even took him back after he left to go tour with Trent. Axl is no fool.

In Glasgow anyway November Rain was the emotional high point of the night, it was actually amazing how good it sounded. The emotion that the band fired into it touched every audience member and when the song went quet before the outro you could hear a pin drop as everyone waited in suspense. Richard's Solo was incredible as usual (made me imagine it was him in the desert instead of Slash so that's gotta be a good thing) he brings all the raw emotion to the solo that Slash had however he pulls it of with more consistand finesse. Finck's solo is an abomination, that second solo was in my humble opinion the most beautiful part of november rain because of that piercing, wonderful high note..... now lost amongst a screechy mess :( However Bumblefoot's outtro owns both slash's and bucketheads for raw power and sheer skill on the fretboard. The last thing they need to do is drop the song.... Just remove Finck's solo or get him to change it.

I saw GnR three times over the summer and while i love watching Finck play when he plays his solo its just not good enough, feeling yes but the song loses something special that i can't help feeling wouldn't be lost if BF or Richard handled it.

I don't see it as a big problem and i don't see Finck as a problem but the band might want to mix things up regarding solo's, maybe he could do a better solo if they just mixed it up a bit?

Many have mentioned the demolition of Slash's solos in the song live, but I must comment on Axl's voice for this song in 2006. Nov. Rain was never really a good song to play live because Axl's voice is so perfect in the studio. Now it just blows.

Why would they play a song that sound so terrible live in the first place vocally...(not b/c Axl sucks but because he has to match such a beautiful voice in the studio version) and make it worse?

To make the fans happy, not the true fans but the fans that only know the classics? Is that why? That is called a sellout.

The song should of never been played live in the first place, but please remove it from the set and include another song that sounds better.

Also remove Out To Get Me....but thats another story

Just wanted to rant about how much Nov. Rain hurts my ears live now...sorry for wasting your time...

i know i know...ill just save everyone the trouble and put it in NOW......." :sleeper: "

your a joke, but everyone has their own oppinion.

I thought NR was amazing when I saw them at Wembley. Finck may not be like we expect him to be on this song but he has his own style and the solos from BBF and Fortus more than make up for some messy playing on his part.. Gotta love his look on stage though!

Definitely should not be removed from the setlist!

KK x

If thats the definition of selling out, then GNR would sell out if they played any of the old classic material, because for a lot of fans, thats what they came to hear. So with that said, even if they did take November Rain out of the setlist, by your definition they would still be sellouts.

Although I have never heard of a band being sellouts because they played their own material (actually Axls material, because November Rain was written by him, and yadda yadda). Your arguement is full of holes all around though.

the loudest applause for the guitarists was most certainly for Finck

not true

Fortus' reception was just as loud, if not louder. And considering Dizzy clearly got the loudest applause should clue you into the fact that not everyone even applauded the guitarists. Pretty sad really. Just because people didn't actually boo doesn't mean they enjoyed it either.

not true

Fortus' reception was just as loud, if not louder. And considering Dizzy clearly got the loudest applause should clue you into the fact that not everyone even applauded the guitarists. Pretty sad really. Just because people didn't actually boo doesn't mean they enjoyed it either.

Finck seemed to get more cheers out of the guitarists where I was standing at Wembley. :book:

not true

Finck seemed to get more cheers out of the guitarists where I was standing at Wembley. :book:

I'm sure he did. I wasn't there, so I can't disagree. :)

I'm talking about the show Jim Bob and I were at. He makes it sound like people were hanging from the rafters chanting for Finck. That's just not the case. The applause the guitarists received were polite at best. I saw people standing there with hands down at their sides, and these were people standing right in front of the stage. Not everyone was clapping, which I personally think is a real let down. People absolutely loved Dizzy's piano solo, not sure if it was because it was Dizzy, or because it wasn't a guitar solo.

OK I'm going to bypass the guitarist part of this topic and state that......

I honestly think Axl sounds absolutely atrocious during this song. I know it's just my opinion and I know everyone thinks I am a "joke" (as someone put it nicely) but I'm sorry. I can't stand Axl's voice on the song, whether I'm listening to a bootleg from 1992 or a bottleg from 2006. The live version just cannot match the studio vocally, but it is so far behind that I just can't bear to listen. The song is completely butchered by Axl...always has been butchered and always will be butchered

Sorry, it's just my opinion. :(

Ron's outro solo is great especially the first 2. The first solo he plays just like Slash and the second solo he shreds it real nice but within context. But then he starts sweeping which IMO dosent sound as awesome but he lands on his feet towards the end real nice.

Richard plays it with real passion and does it well. I have no complains against him actually in any department.

Unfortunately, Fincks solo used to make me want to pull my hair out but MAYBE I've gotten used to it. Honestly, after seeing RIR 3 where he played both the 1st and 2nd solo and completely butchering them, I'm just thankful he plays the 2nd one now.

I'm actually still surprised at Ron's playing because he can play absolutely mind blowing guitar and dosent even play 10% of what he's capable of in GNR.

I wouldn´t like November Rain not to be played. That song is a classic and this band plays it very well. Stop comparing Slash with Ron! Slash is not in the band anymore and yes, we all know Slash´s solo was awesome but he isn´t there anymore. Ron isn´t going to play like Slash or the way you want!!!

I wouldn´t like November Rain not to be played. That song is a classic and this band plays it very well. Stop comparing Slash with Ron! Slash is not in the band anymore and yes, we all know Slash´s solo was awesome but he isn´t there anymore. Ron isn´t going to play like Slash or the way you want!!!

I never mentioned Slash or Ron...if it was me you were talking to anyways.

I disagree with that wholly, were you at either of the vegas shows? I was there Sunday and November Rain was perfectly fine. Axl sounded great, the band was tight, etc. etc. etc. (and of course we can't forget the pyro 'rain' at the start of the outro *cough* *cough* :unsure: yummm, sulfur!)

As a vocalist myself I know one can have 'off' nights/days, even 'off' songs. even the most well-trained voice can be unpredictable at moments.

maybe you experienced/heard Axl having one of those, but it doesn't mean that they need to take a freaking song off of the setlist! sheesh.