So now that he can sing again

Kobbeltvedt

People. give me a fuckin' break. :rolleyes:

Do you really think Axl couldn't sing with a rasp in 2002? You're probably thinking no, but listen to this from a singer with similar dynamics (me). When you sing with a rasp, you're using your throat in doing so. After long periods of time in doing this your throat can be easily damaged as it happened to Axl in late 1988 and mid 1991. With a clean voice, you can evade this problem. The more further down you go (in Axl's case - a cleaner sound) the less problems you will have with your voice when touring for a prolonged period of time.

For example, listen to any recording of You Could Be Mine from the '02 tour and you will hear Axl sing this with a clean voice. Although, when Axl got to singing the 'rapping' part his voice went to full on rasp. He sang that section in 2002 just like he did today with full power and rasp. After that section terminated he went back to that 'clean' voice. Do you really think that just happens? Umm...no! I do it all the time as well! When you use rasp with your singing voice your voice just gets tired in a quicker pace. This is a fact. I do this all the time. With a cleaner voice your voice can just last so much longer. I can go back and forth between clean and raspy as much as I want. Axl did the same exact thing. He did this so many times through out the tour.

In the song Chinese Democracy, Axl sang this with full rasp at every show. In the song, his voice alternates between raspy and nasaly sung verses (as it's supposed to). He does this to this day when performing the song. Also, just listen to Oh My God from Rock In Rio 3 or the House of Blues show. He sings this with rasp as well! Besides, do you really think he could hold those long and powerful 30 second long screams (that he doesn't do today) on Live and Let Die if his voice was truly shot? No! Just listen to this:

Now, in 2006 he doesn't hold these screams as long but overall his voice is much more 'consistent' through out concerts. With such a raspy voice as Axl's you either sing clearly with sprinkled moments of intense 'raspy' glory or you sing most of the concert with rasp but not to such an extent in the power as when it is done in alternation. That's the way it goes. Hear me when I say this. He chose to sing in a clean voice in 2002 on purpose. Besides, it is you guys equalizing a clean voice with 'badness'. Just because he sang clearly doesn't mean he sounded 'bad'. Just listen to The Blues. Most people on here prefer a cleaner sound of that song (instead of a raspier sound) because it suits the song better. Most people here are used to that intense rasp on Guns N' Roses songs so when they heard something different in 2002 they just said it was 'bad'.

Personally, I am in the 'raspy' camp. I prefer Axl's voice when it is raspy, but the whole point of the clean voice was to rest his vocal chords. He probably did this in order to save his voice for the record. C'mon' - listen to that long I.R.S scream over Buckethead's solo (on the demo). It's totally clean, but does it kick ass? Most would have to say yes. Besides, Axl's rasp didn't really start evolving until the Spring of 1986. Listen to this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5Uy8Fxu7uQk

Does that sound raspy to you? Umm...no...But does it sound good? Hell yes it does. Besides, Axl's voice was really at its worse in 1991:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ptwPHBZDdBs

After listening to that now do you see why Axl would choose to sing cleanly on the tour in order to save his voice for the C-Democracy album? Don't you see why he would do this? He has clearly learned from his mistakes. Listen to any May 12th, 2006 bootleg and you will hear Axl's voice like it was in the Appetite For Destruction days - full rasp! Guess what happened the next day - he could barely speak! In 2002 it had been 9 years since he last toured with any band. If had started to sing raspy since day 1 he would've fucked up his voice pretty badly. As the 2002 tour went on he got a better control of his voice and his voice kept getting stronger and raspier. He had to get used to the touring atmosphere. This is why Axl fucked up his throat in 1991. It had been 2 years since he last performed onstage and he just went all out on his rasp. Do you know what that did to his throat? It fucked it up. In the July of 1991 show in Dallas his voice sounded like shattered glass - just awful. Axl just wasn't going to repeat this again. Did his vocals in the "Spaghetti Incident?!" sound that good to you guys? It was recorded during the Use Your Illusion tour. They weren't that great.

Now, that the record is completely done - vocally - he can choose to let go. In 2002 - he couldn't. He had the responsiblity of giving the album his best vocals. He chose to take the safe route (vocally) in order to save his voice for the record. Now, in 2006, after his last vocal sessions...he can have a little more liberty with his voice as he really doesn't have to record again for a while.

Now do you guys understand more clearly how it was his choice to sing like that in the 2002 tour? Do you really think it's 'magic' that his voice sounds that way it does now? No, no, no...Axl knows what he's doing. Atleast, he has learned from the past.

Edited by IndiannaRose

People. give me a fuckin' break. :rolleyes:

Do you really think Axl couldn't sing with a rasp in 2002? You're probably thinking no, but listen to this from a singer with similar dynamics (me). When you sing with a rasp, you're using your throat in doing so. After long periods of time in doing this your throat can be easily damaged as it happened to Axl in late 1988 and mid 1991. With a clean voice, you can evade this problem. The more further down you go (in Axl's case - a cleaner sound) the less problems you will have with your voice when touring for a prolonged period of time.

For example, listen to any recording of You Could Be Mine from the '02 tour and you will hear Axl sing this with a clean voice. Although, when Axl got to singing the 'rapping' part his voice went to full on rasp. He sang that section in 2002 just like he did today with full power and rasp. After that section terminated he went back to that 'clean' voice. Do you really think that just happens? Umm...no! I do it all the time as well! When you use rasp with your singing voice your voice just gets tired in a quicker pace. This is a fact. I do this all the time. With a cleaner voice your voice can just last so much longer. I can go back and forth between clean and raspy as much as I want. Axl did the same exact thing. He did this so many times through out the tour.

In the song Chinese Democracy, Axl sang this with full rasp at every show. In the song, his voice alternates between raspy and nasaly sung verses (as it's supposed to). He does this to this day when performing the song. Also, just listen to Oh My God from Rock In Rio 3 or the House of Blues show. He sings this with rasp as well! Besides, do you really think he could hold those long and powerful 30 second long screams (that he doesn't do today) on Live and Let Die if his voice was truly shot? No! Just listen to this:

Now, in 2006 he doesn't hold these screams as long but overall his voice is much more 'consistent' through out concerts. With such a raspy voice as Axl's you either sing clearly with sprinkled moments of intense 'raspy' glory or you sing most of the concert with rasp but not to such an extent in the power as when it is done in alternation. That's the way it goes. Hear me when I say this. He chose to sing in a clean voice in 2002 on purpose. Besides, it is you guys equalizing a clean voice with 'badness'. Just because he sang clearly doesn't mean he sounded 'bad'. Just listen to The Blues. Most people on here prefer a cleaner sound of that song (instead of a raspier sound) because it suits the song better. Most people here are used to that intense rasp on Guns N' Roses songs so when they heard something different in 2002 they just said it was 'bad'.

Personally, I am in the 'raspy' camp. I prefer Axl's voice when it is raspy, but the whole point of the clean voice was to rest his vocal chords. He probably did this in order to save his voice for the record. C'mon' - listen to that long I.R.S scream over Buckethead's solo (on the demo). It's totally clean, but does it kick ass? Most would have to say yes. Besides, Axl's rasp didn't really start evolving until the Spring of 1986. Listen to this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5Uy8Fxu7uQk

Does that sound raspy to you? Umm...no...But does it sound good? Hell yes it does. Besides, Axl's voice was really at its worse in 1991:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ptwPHBZDdBs

After listening to that now do you see why Axl would choose to sing cleanly on the tour in order to save his voice for the C-Democracy album? Don't you see why he would do this? He has clearly learned from his mistakes. Listen to any May 12th, 2006 bootleg and you will hear Axl's voice like it was in the Appetite For Destruction days - full rasp! Guess what happened the next day - he could barely speak! In 2002 it had been 9 years since he last toured with any band. If had started to sing raspy since day 1 he would've fucked up his voice pretty badly. As the 2002 tour went on he got a better control of his voice and his voice kept getting stronger and raspier. He had to get used to the toruing atmosphere. This is why Axl fucked up his throat in 1991. It had been 2 years since he performed onstage and he just went all out on his rasp. Do you what that did to his throat? It fucked it up. In the July of 1991 shown in Dallas his voice sounded like shattered glass - just awful. Axl just wasn't going to repeat this again. Did his vocals in the "Spaghetti Incident?!" sound that good to you guys? It was recorded during the Use Your Illusion tour. They weren't that great.

Now, that the record is completely done - vocally - he can choose to let go. In 2002 - he couldn't. He had the responsiblity of giving the album his best vocals. He chose to take the safe route (vocally) in order to save his voice for the record. Now, in 2006, after his last vocal sessions...he can have a little more liberty with his voice as he really doesn't have to record again for a while.

Now do you guys understand more clearly how it was his choice to sing like that in the 2002 tour? Do you really think it's 'magic' that his voice sounds that way it does now? No, no, no...Axl knows what he's doing. Atleast, he has learned from the past.

fucking great post.

thats jsut what I thaught, but nice to get it clarified :)

I accually thought Axl sounded good in 02, not entirely at the VMA's but he himself said that was a disaster. I exeptionally enjoyed his performances of Madagascar during that period. BTW, has anyone seen the band in person this year? I have tickets to th 10/22 show in Nashville.

The vocals on IRS and TWAT from '99 are the same as the ones with bucket, they just added more effects and re-recorded some instruments... that's pretty clear

and better, it doesn't even appear on the '99 reviews, it wasn't a rumoured title, i guess it was written/recorded later

Man, I was at Albany 02... I challenge anyone who was actually at that show to say that Axl did not sound incredible. I have the boots, they do not do that show justice. Do I think overall he was hoping to save his voice, maybe yes, is that a bad thing? Or would you rather show up to a show, and have it canceled? and then say what an ass axl is? Can he win in that situation... no... sing with the rasp.. please the people, maybe lose the voice, and make people mad, sing without it,, and people say he can't sing.

Man, I was at Albany 02... I challenge anyone who was actually at that show to say that Axl did not sound incredible. I have the boots, they do not do that show justice. Do I think overall he was hoping to save his voice, maybe yes, is that a bad thing? Or would you rather show up to a show, and have it canceled? and then say what an ass axl is? Can he win in that situation... no... sing with the rasp.. please the people, maybe lose the voice, and make people mad, sing without it,, and people say he can't sing.

the man was out of breath....simpel as that..

Look at the shows today when the Mikey comes out of his mouth...Its after a run when

his out of breath.Invasion patience the end.

FFS he recorded the ILLUSIONS after singing in a raspy voice...Has nothing to do with saving voice.

The man was out of shape, everybody can be.

So u think he wanted to sing that way.

Then why the hell does the leaks sound that way (no not better)

Only Axl, god and the people really cloes to him knowes what he did from 96 for that sake 94 to 00/01 ca

He could been mental ill for what we know..Or have cancer.

Or maybe he wasent into making music thoose years. We all know he wasent into peforming.

The vocals on IRS and TWAT from '99 are the same as the ones with bucket, they just added more effects and re-recorded some instruments... that's pretty clear

No way... the vocals on TWAT are completely different. It's a different track... Axl sounds really flat in the '99 version, but in the latter recording, he sounds a lot fuller and hits higher notes.

No way... the vocals on TWAT are completely different. It's a different track... Axl sounds really flat in the '99 version, but in the latter recording, he sounds a lot fuller and hits higher notes.

99 TWAT has a better vocal imo