Is the record company pissed at Axl? Is that why there is no promotion?

Kaneda

Gunners,

Let's say November 21 is the release date...that's just a little over a month away and still there is ZERO real promotion going on for Chinese Democracy. No add buys have been placed in any magazines, no video is on MTV, no single is on the airways, no banners up in Times Square, no magazine has even heard finished tracks, nothing.

Since the album HAS to come out in 2006 since so many camps have said it will, Axl included, this can only mean one thing. That the record company will make this a soft launch and won't but tons of money behind it. Considering all of the money Geffen/Interscope has given Axl over the past 15 years, it's likely that they are pissed at how many years he has dicked them over and thus, this album will have to promote itself, supported only by the tour.

While there's no doubt that the album, the tour, and the media frenzy around the album will garner lots of exposure to the band, I for one am very disappointed that we haven't gotten the sort of promotion or hype we deserve for this legendary band.

I think their new website showed all of us that corners are being cut, that a lot of cheap alternatives are being taken. It's sort of sad that I have friends in garage bands that have a nicer website that the official Guns N Roses website.

Everyday I walk to work in New York City, the media capital of the world, and I see posters and adds for tons of albums coming out this November. But nothing on Chinese D. Shouldn't buzz be building the moment the release date is set? And you have to set a release date at least a month before launch...this whole 11th hour thing is so backwards. Why the cryptic statement in the press release about 13 tuesdays between now and the end of the year?

I just hope the album promotion picks up VERY SOON, or else Axl could be in for a rude awakening when album sales numbers roll in.

He's got A LOT more competition today when it comes to moving records, and everyone else is playing the game right. Axl needs to deliver a statement asap and the promotion needs to begin now. And don't tell me that this tour is promotion, it's not. They've toured before and nothing happened, so people don't care as much about a tour, they want an album.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

madison why is this guy still here? no really.

Kaneda i'm sure axl and co know what there doing, why do you care so much anyway? as long as you get cd in you're hands, does it really matter.

Edited by aussie_axl

madison why is this guy still here? no really.

i been thinking that but at one point he was Read Only. and how come he's not now?

well i'm thinking someone must like him, or it's someone else just with a second username.

Guest cherry_bomb

i doubt that theyre doing this to spite axl, they wanna make money just as much as anyone else.

still, the lack of promotion is seriously worrying. firstly because IF they album is coming out next month for example, it just wont sell well without promotion (touring isnt enough, the word needs to be spread and reach the people outside of the gnr fan community), and secondly because they may be no promotion because it's bit ready to come out yet...either way, its worrying.

Edited by cherry_bomb

i doubt that theyre doing this to spite axl, they wanna make money just as much as anyone else.

still, the lack of promotion is seriously worrying. firstly because IF they album is coming out next month for example, it just wont sell well without promotion (touring isnt enough, the word needs to be spread and reach the people outside of the gnr fan community), and secondly because they may be no promotion because it's bit ready to come out yet...either way, its worrying.

I agree with everything you said. :)

Well it's either Axl has been touring just to make cash and bang models OR the record won't need much promotion. I don't actually remember an ad in a magazine for UYI. But there would be reviews...not many bands hype their album too far in advance...it has to be avialable to buy right? I mean if I see an ad for Audioslave and its not out I think whats the point. Most mags are monthlies. Its always been the press and fans that get bent out of shape about everything, Axl just seems to be laidback about it, almost mystified that anyone really caresa that much. And oh, wasn't Infamous really Warchild? Just a note from the underground.

Guest cherry_bomb
Well it's either Axl has been touring just to make cash and bang models OR the record won't need much promotion. I don't actually remember an ad in a magazine for UYI. But there would be reviews...not many bands hype their album too far in advance...it has to be avialable to buy right? I mean if I see an ad for Audioslave and its not out I think whats the point. Most mags are monthlies. Its always been the press and fans that get bent out of shape about everything, Axl just seems to be laidback about it, almost mystified that anyone really caresa that much. And oh, wasn't Infamous really Warchild? Just a note from the underground.

this isnt just any album though. audioslave and every other band releasing another album have an established fan base. this is a new band, new sound, new album. of course they'll be taking the majority of the old gnr fans with them; but they need to appeal to the newer market if they want commercial success - and considering how many years it has been in the making, just letting it slip by as if it were any other album would be stupid. it deserves the hype and interest around it, this after all is the most anticipated album ever, releasing it descreetly would be a mistake.

Edited by cherry_bomb

this isnt just any album though. audioslave and every other band releasing another album have an established fan base. this is a new band, new sound, new album. of course they'll be taking the majority of the old gnr fans with them; but they need to appeal to the newer market if they want commercial success - and considering how many years it has been in the making, just letting it slip by as if it were any other album would be stupid. it deserves the hype and interest around it, this after all is the most anticipated album ever, releasing it descreetly would be a mistake.

Does anyone ever stop to think that W. Axl Rose does not give one blistering fuck about album sales, profit or anything that really has to do with capitalism? I do. I can't remember which one, but some magazine named him the #1 artist not motivated by money. Axl doesn't give a shit about what mainstream rock lovers think. It's just him in a band doing what they love, which is making music and touring around the globe. I doubt Axl is the least bit concerned about promoting the album and your to a bunch of dicks that like Bink 182, Hansen, the Moffats and other gay rock acts like sum 41.

Kaneda, your a moron. You know nothing and never will know anything. Not even the difference between your ass and a hole in the ground. Dig your head out of your ass so you can see, clean the shit out of your ears so you can hear and maybe you will realize that Axl is doing this for his hordcore fans that stuck with him, through all the fucking shit.

Look what VR did. They advertised and promoted the fuck out of Contraband. At first it sold great and so did their tours...but when people realized they simply sold out into mainstram rock and the music was good, but nothing close to great, they dropped. Crashed and burned. Thay can't even sell out a show these days.

Axl knows what he is doing. you'll get your single soon enough, but even then, i'm sure you still won't shut you mouth. And as usual, nobody will be surprised...or really care.

A8R

Guest cherry_bomb

Does anyone ever stop to think that W. Axl Rose does not give one blistering fuck about album sales, profit or anything that really has to do with capitalism? I do. I can't remember which one, but some magazine named him the #1 artist not motivated by money. Axl doesn't give a shit about what mainstream rock lovers think. It's just him in a band doing what they love, which is making music and touring around the globe. I doubt Axl is the least bit concerned about promoting the album and your to a bunch of dicks that like Bink 182, Hansen, the Moffats and other gay rock acts like sum 41.

Kaneda, your a moron. You know nothing and never will know anything. Not even the difference between your ass and a hole in the ground. Dig your head out of your ass so you can see, clean the shit out of your ears so you can hear and maybe you will realize that Axl is doing this for his hordcore fans that stuck with him, through all the fucking shit.

Look what VR did. They advertised and promoted the fuck out of Contraband. At first it sold great and so did their tours...but when people realized they simply sold out into mainstram rock and the music was good, but nothing close to great, they dropped. Crashed and burned. Thay can't even sell out a show these days.

Axl knows what he is doing. you'll get your single soon enough, but even then, i'm sure you still won't shut you mouth. And as usual, nobody will be surprised...or really care.

A8R

well it wouldve been an ok thread if you didnt feel the need to insult everybody.

anyway i see your point, my point is i think this album deserves success. simple as.

This is a ridiculous post - - Only for the fact that who would give up millions of dollars so that they can prove a point to Axl? Come on Kaneda, Mr Big Apple - You should know that GNR (just like the record company) is a business... What business person, whether it be Axl or the label, woudl want to put out a product to only get SOME of their deserved profit.

It doesnt make sense.

You know, I generally disagree with the posts you make Kaneda, but I cant always say that they arent all rooted in some sort of a reality - - This one is just retarded. It doesnt make any sense and it seems like you are just looking for things to write about...

I didn't insult anyone.

except kaneda, but he must expect that by now.

And I don't think you got my point at all, becasue i'm saying an album doesn't need to go mainstream and put a capital "C" on capitalism in order to be successful.

A8R

Are you serious? You think Axl doesn't care about album sales? He's just a rock n roller in a band and doing what he loves? Ok, perhaps it is not the money but for fucks sake it's taken this long because he CARES TOO MUCH! He hasn't been able to release the fucking thing because he wants everything to be so perfect to the point where it's psychotic. He's determined to put out an album that will launch him to the heights he was at with UYI, he wants that power and fame once again and he's trying desparately to achieve that which has made him look like a fool. He can't fathom the idea of mediocrity or failure. Kaneda is dead on once again, there is something seriously wrong here with the promotion of "the most anticipated rock album in history." The web site is absolutely horrible and there is NOTHING in the way of advertising going on. It's absolutely laughable. I seriously think the label has heard the final tracks and they are not impressed and are not going to throw a ton of money behind this thing. It's just a complete fucking nightmare.

Are you serious? You think Axl doesn't care about album sales? He's just a rock n roller in a band and doing what he loves? Ok, perhaps it is not the money but for fucks sake it's taken this long because he CARES TOO MUCH! He hasn't been able to release the fucking thing because he wants everything to be so perfect to the point where it's psychotic. He's determined to put out an album that will launch him to the heights he was at with UYI, he wants that power and fame once again and he's trying desparately to achieve that which has made him look like a fool. He can't fathom the idea of mediocrity or failure. Kaneda is dead on once again, there is something seriously wrong here with the promotion of "the most anticipated rock album in history." The web site is absolutely horrible and there is NOTHING in the way of advertising going on. It's absolutely laughable. I seriously think the label has heard the final tracks and they are not impressed and are not going to throw a ton of money behind this thing. It's just a complete fucking nightmare.

No, actually I think your just as much of an idiot as he is. Thats whats going on here. Axl is a perfectionist, not a capitalist.

A8R

Are you serious? You think Axl doesn't care about album sales? He's just a rock n roller in a band and doing what he loves? Ok, perhaps it is not the money but for fucks sake it's taken this long because he CARES TOO MUCH! He hasn't been able to release the fucking thing because he wants everything to be so perfect to the point where it's psychotic. He's determined to put out an album that will launch him to the heights he was at with UYI, he wants that power and fame once again and he's trying desparately to achieve that which has made him look like a fool. He can't fathom the idea of mediocrity or failure...

I have to agree.

Of course he cares how the album is received. Axl has a lot to prove to himself, to the label and to his former bandmates. He's spent years recording and re-recording it to make sure it's perfect in his eyes so that there's no regrets, and many believe the long delay is related to fear - fear of failure. As long as nothing is out there, he can't be judged and he can't fail. Once it's out there, he opens himself up to either great success or failure. And like it or not - album sales often determine an artist's success or failure.