The Official MMA (Mixed martial arts) Thread

vulgar

Bunch of chinny tarts basically :lol:

Len the problem I have is that it seems to me that you're saying the only reason these people are in MMA is because they can't take a punch or make it boxing which for a start is ridiculous as boxing gloves have more padding than UFC gloves. Furthermore most MMA fighters have a foundation in a form of grappling rather than striking so they would always be playing catch up on that part of their game.

To say that the fighters do not excel at one art is also stupid and I will give some examples:

Benson Henderson - bronze medal in 2011 jiu-jitsu world championships, black belt in taekwondo

Anderson Silva - Black belt in muay Thai, black belt in Brazillian jiu-jitsu, black belt in judo, 5th dan black belt in taekwondo

Ronda Rousey - 5th dan judo black belt in judo and Olympic bronze medalist in judo

Cain Velasquez - NCAA Division 1 wrestling champion

Georges St-Pierre - 3rd dan black belt in Kyokoshin karate, black belt in brazilian jiu-jitsu, black belt in gaidojutsu, black belt in Shidokan karate

tl;dr Len you're ignorant about and the fact their foundations are in grappling rather than striking for the most part so it makes no sense why they would go into boxing rather than MMA, furthermore a large proportion of MMA fighters are highly skilled in several disciplines.

How does Silva compare to Fedor?

Silva is considered by most to be the greatest fighter in UFC/MMA history.

Ah, okay. Cool. As I said, I really don't know much of MMA above some names that stick in my mind for whatever reason - Gracie, Shamrock, CroCop, Fedor, Rutten and a few others.

I like boxing more then MMA.

The only way a pro boxer could beat a pro MMA fighter would be by KO. Pro MMA fighters are knock out artists and submission artists. They have way more of an edge.

Roy Jones Jr on his best day would get his clock cleaned by Silva in more ways then he could count, unless Roy landed a knock out punch first.

If ever the best professional, say,, middle weight MMA fighter ever fought the best boxer of the same class, Im bettin your house and my neighbors kids college fund on the MMA fighter.

How does Silva compare to Fedor?

Silva is considered by most to be the greatest fighter in UFC/MMA history.

Ah, okay. Cool. As I said, I really don't know much of MMA above some names that stick in my mind for whatever reason - Gracie, Shamrock, CroCop, Fedor, Rutten and a few others.

Yup, those are all bigtime names in MMA. Gracie would be the best out of that bunch and he is probably in the top five all time MMA greats. Back in the 90's Gracie would fight 3-4 times a night to win that particular tournament. He is one of the reasons MMA is where its at today. He's like a boa constrictor, gets you to the mat and submits you with some crazy ass manuever.

Edited by T.wa.T

Isn't there about 20 Gracies though? I'm thinking of....Royce Gracie, I think his name is. I think I remember him fighting a guy called Kimo who used to come in carrying a huge wooden cross across his back.

yeah I was thinking about Royce.

Royce fought Shamrock to a draw and then submitted him later on in another fight. Fedor Im not sure about. I know hes good just dont know if he fought Gracie, or who would win if they fought.

I dont think he's quite in their league. He was close but fucked his leg up real bad in a fight. He might have held a title breifly, cant remember, but overall I would say he's one of those sons o' bitches you dont wanna fight.

For both Cro Cop and Fedor it is hard to say really, yes their records are very good but the majority of their fights took place in Japan which has often been linked to corruption and doping which has led people to say many fights out there were fixed. Even if this wasn't the case both of them came to the US after their peaks and as a result suffered loses that take some gloss off their records and make people question how good they really were.

Prsonally I think both of them at their peaks could trouble and beat anybody in the UFC heavyweight division over the last 5-10 years.

Is CroCop in that league?

CroCop in Pride was one of the best in the world. The only problem is that's there's a good chance his record in Pride was inflated to create the legend he eventually became. A lot of reports that guys were paid to take dives against him in some of his earlier bouts. His fight against (now WWE wrestler) Alberto Del Rio was an obvious fix.

Isn't there about 20 Gracies though? I'm thinking of....Royce Gracie, I think his name is. I think I remember him fighting a guy called Kimo who used to come in carrying a huge wooden cross across his back.

Royce fought Shamrock to a draw and then submitted him later on in another fight. Fedor Im not sure about. I know hes good just dont know if he fought Gracie, or who would win if they fought.

Fedor would've smashed Royce because they're 3 weight divisions apart. Although he only fought 11 MMA bouts, Rickson is considered the best of the Gracie's.

The thing that made Fedor so great was that he was going in against these guys that were very clearly on roids and absolutely wiping the floor with them. It was fantastic to watch.

Is CroCop in that league?

CroCop in Pride was one of the best in the world. The only problem is that's there's a good chance his record in Pride was inflated to create the legend he eventually became. A lot of reports that guys were paid to take dives against him in some of his earlier bouts. His fight against (now WWE wrestler) Alberto Del Rio was an obvious fix.

Fedor would've smashed Royce because they're 3 weight divisions apart. Although he only fought 11 MMA bouts, Rickson is considered the best of the Gracie's.

The thing that made Fedor so great was that he was going in against these guys that were very clearly on roids and absolutely wiping the floor with them. It was fantastic to watch.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if they were in the same class. For sure he would have a huge advantage being so much bigger.

I know the general who's who of MMA, just not all the ins and outs.

The cool thing about the old UFC was no weight classes, so seeing a smaller fighter submit a big fighter was always cool.

Edited by T.wa.T

Shamrock's legacy has been seriously damaged by his comeback in 2005. The dude is a joke today but in his prime he was something special and would be more than a handful for most at his peak.

Bingo - people do really forget that.

Shamrock was a beast and was and still is one of my favorite fighters. Loved his earlier fights.

Yeah the injuries certainly took their toll.

In other news one of the judges gave Silva the first round on Saturday, I am stunned as to how this happened as Weidman took him down, punched him, and had a few sub attempts. All Silva did in round 1 was look the fool and prance around a little while getting a few shots.

MMA judging is completely whack - there are about two or three who are normally spot on, can't recall off the top of my head. Might be TJ and Nelson?

Was always amusing watching Fedor looking like he didn't give a shit with a bit of a beer gut against all those jacked guys.

Like me :shades:

• 1 month later...

Tommorow nights card is pretty stacked.

Shogun v Sonnen

Think this one's going to be either a Sonnen decision or a Shogun KO in the first couple of rounds. Have Shogun in my parlay because, at just above evens he's a bargain, and I'm not convinced Sonnen can hang at light heavy. He might be able to get on top of him but Rua has a killer sweep game from the bottom so I don't expect Sonnen to be able to hold him there.

Overeem vs Browne

Have no idea how this one is going to go. The Reem is looking a lot smaller(likely considering a cut to light heavy) and Browne aint no slouch. Think the only loss he has is when he tore his hamstring against Bigfoot. Still, I would LOVE to see the return of "The Demolition Man".

McGregor vs Holloway

Fight of the night right here. I like Holloway but McGregor is a beast. Expecting a round 2/3 KO.