"Bad Press" theory

Danny

Ok...the recently posted (and even more recently removed) thread about Axl beating his new girlfriend got me thinking about something that I had never considered before. Has anyone ever considered that maybe the reason why Axl has been so silent for so long might have something to do with all the bad press he received in the past. Like, maybe he was waiting for all the news about women beating allegations, racism, molestation in his childhood, and making girlfriend's crap in a catbox blow over before he made his big return. Like, maybe he wanted people to forget about all that stuff (and I think, for the most part they have) before he put anything new out. That would even be a better explanation for why he was so persistant on basically getting rid of the "old band" and hiring a bunch of people who have tons of other projects.

Just an idea.

Interesting thoughts man but I think the time taken was because he was/is trying to construct an album, which is worthy of the title Guns N' Roses. This process has taken so long because music changed dramatically over the 90's and only now is it beginning to settle. Every time Axl had an album ready to go, which was relevant he waited just too long and it was irrelevant again.

Now Axl finally has found the modern sound he is happy with and is ready to unleash his masterpiece on the world. No matter how good or bad it turns out to be it's just good to have Axl back. :)

Sorry I've officially hijacked your topic.

I think that many people have been jealous of Axl. Not that he has been a quiet boy, but that doesn't give to the bad press any excuse. I always laugh when I read bad press about Axl because I realize how great he is, original, always speaking his mind. Not many people do that..

Get in the Ring Double Talkin' Jive M&^F677778ssssssss :fuckyou:

An awful lot of the 'bad press', remember, was knowingly generated by Axl himself. He obviously knew he'd be in for it with One in a Million and the Manson track, but he released them anyway (over lots of objections). I think he wanted to be controversial, he was asking for bad press.

The really gossipy things (that so many complain invaded his privacy <_< ) like his childhood abuse, regression therapy, etc, were served up by Axl in interviews (he wasn't even responding to questions when he opened up), and he also discusses personal issues in rants from the stage. He has no problem with the press covering that stuff, he just wants to control it.

The really evil allegations out of his control were from pubic court records and interviews quoting Erin and I think Stephanie. Can't blame the press for covering that, but Axl could have done a better job responding. I didn't see the 'abuse' thread, but I personally believe that Erin and Axl's mutually abusive relationship was with the cooperation and enhancement of both parties. And I've seen no evidence that Stephanie was ever a 'victim' at all, the only allegation of abuse was over the alteration at a New Year's Party that witnesses said was a bit of kicking (Stephanie kicked Axl) shoving (Axl shoved Stephanie) and maybe some sloppy bitch slapping (both parties). I saw some of the docs and IMO Axl's weak-ass defense of himself at court and in the press was the only thing criminal.

He also did what he could to rile the press (eg: Get in the Ring). Although he was a good target for quips and jokes, he's been treated pretty well. Considering.

The tone seems to be nastier lately. He doesn't seem to have a team of apologists anymore. There was always a quote in the paper from the manager, the publicist or a label rep saying, 'what Axl really meant was... ' Or they'd throw in jokes of their own, or they'd say, 'I can't comment about ___, but I can tell you ___.' Now we're not seeing any comments at all other than the one from Merck in RS that he tried to 'recall' even though it was actually cool -- it said nothing but still said something.

Interesting thoughts man but I think the time taken was because he was/is trying to construct an album, which is worthy of the title Guns N' Roses. This process has taken so long because music changed dramatically over the 90's and only now is it beginning to settle. Every time Axl had an album ready to go, which was relevant he waited just too long and it was irrelevant again.

Now Axl finally has found the modern sound he is happy with and is ready to unleash his masterpiece on the world. No matter how good or bad it turns out to be it's just good to have Axl back. :)

A post astute enough to make up for the hijacking. :)

I don't think Axl ever had an album 'ready to go', but he had music to put lyrics and vocals on.

And in the early days of the 'delay', it wasn't so much the press about the events but the events themselves -- he was spending 90% of his concentration on his many court cases.