Live Shows or Album

wasted

Was reading Bob Dylan interview where he said that playing live or having a working band was what he was interested in, it is whats important. He said he had written songs and had recorded a lot of albums but he never felt he'd been recorded well. So to him live shows are what its all about. But I was thinking that in GNR world it's the record that's all important - well to me, but since so many people go to the shows without a new record then they might just think GNR as a live band is more important?

Obviously both are important. One may be more important than the other at different times depending on the artist and thousands of other variables. In 'Guns' case they are getting people to shows, but they'll need to release the album to get to the next level and continue.

Sure we need an album but does it need to be that good? That's closer to the real question. GNR fill a massive void for some band who can truly rock a stadium in 21st Century. Dylan's words made me think about what it is to be in a band and how it is for it to be good. Sure the album needs to be good but for the band on tour they need to be...I don't know what it is cos I'm not a musician...but there needs to be something if they are going to be successful as a band. I don't even know if the record buying public know the difference from shit to shiznit, but I think they recognize it even if they don't know why. I think GNR would have no chance if they werent pulling off these shows and to me if they are pulling off the shows they must be a good band who could make a great record but will they have been recorded well? It's a lottery. AFD was a one off and then people would say that UYI didnt get it that right but still pretty good, now has Chinese D been touched by midas or is just another average record?

Sure we need an album but does it need to be that good? That's closer to the real question. GNR fill a massive void for some band who can truly rock a stadium in 21st Century. Dylan's words made me think about what it is to be in a band and how it is for it to be good. Sure the album needs to be good but for the band on tour they need to be...I don't know what it is cos I'm not a musician...but there needs to be something if they are going to be successful as a band. I don't even know if the record buying public know the difference from shit to shiznit, but I think they recognize it even if they don't know why. I think GNR would have no chance if they werent pulling off these shows and to me if they are pulling off the shows they must be a good band who could make a great record but will they have been recorded well? It's a lottery. AFD was a one off and then people would say that UYI didnt get it that right but still pretty good, now has Chinese D been touched by midas or is just another average record?
Obviously both are important. One may be more important than the other at different times depending on the artist and thousands of other variables. In 'Guns' case they are getting people to shows, but they'll need to release the album to get to the next level and continue.

The point is that they are doing the shows now, but they won't be able to tour on 'Appetite' forever.

Edited by Ions

The point is that they are doing the shows now, but they won't be able to tour on 'Appetite' forever.

Agreed.

Someone once said that he wants to bury ''Appetite''. :unsure:

Now I don't know what he meant saying that...

Edited by cold_as_ice

As an artist it's a healthy attitude to have to want to move on. UYI does bury AFD technically in analysis and the critics believe Axl's best work to be on UYI - Nov Rain, UYI II great song writing. But the public love the myth of GNR from the AFD era. Rocket Queen is a flat out classic without being a single. Whereas not much on UYI has that place in people's hearts. Axl is now trying to bury AFD and UYI with CD hence the 15 year gap between records, the split and the rest of the BS or disinformation we have recieved. Who's betting that even after CD is out AFD will the staple live material?

Face it they're gonna milk AFD til cows are called something different.

Agreed.

Someone once said that he wants to bury ''Appetite''. :unsure:

Now I don't know what he meant saying that...

LOL! Yeah - I think that's the same person who said that playing mostly tracks from 'Appetite' live would be kinda like 'jerking off'. Anyway - I'm sure he still feels the same on both counts and will do the right thing.

What's wrong with jerking off if you get paid a million bucks a night to do it. I'd jerk off every night! But seriously, he has a point that he needs to have an album of material so that he can justify touring the old songs to promote the new album. That didn't come out right, you know what I mean. But who's to say people wouldn't have turned out to see the old band play AFD for nostalgia reasons. I wouldve been there let me tell you.

What's wrong with jerking off if you get paid a million bucks a night to do it. I'd jerk off every night! But seriously, he has a point that he needs to have an album of material so that he can justify touring the old songs to promote the new album. That didn't come out right, you know what I mean. But who's to say people wouldn't have turned out to see the old band play AFD for nostalgia reasons. I wouldve been there let me tell you.

AFD rocks but he cant over do it. Cmon...

He won't play UYI I or UYI II songs for his own reasons. OK!

So, bring on CD...

They do rely on AFD for the core of the show. Nov Rain is great centre piece in the three piece suite which is Jungle, Nov Rain and Paradise City - can we get that in mauve? And half of UYI is AFD era - Don't Cry, Live n Let Die, Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch and I think Nov Rain was worked on for many years. Heavens Door is AFD era as well. You Could be Mine has the the line in the liner notes of AFD so thats AFD era too. Not sure about Civil War but I remember as a track which we heard as we waited 5 years for UYI.

Isnt it Izzy's showing up on tour sort of bumped Civil W and Dont Cry for Think About You and whatever they play when Izzy does his cameo - Where's Izzy? btw.

Ask Axl. He said it.

Wait let me just text him. Axl's one of my close personal friends along with Jack Nickholson and that chick off Seinfeld. In contrext what he said made sense at the time, in the moment. In retrospect everything is a lie.

So true. In one way I think this tour is a way to gel as a band and to introduce to a whole new generation of fans to just how powerful a GNR show is.

I think for this band there needs to be an album that seperates them from the past. They will need a strong album to shake the designation of being a cover/replacement band. Its been almost 20 years since AFD hit the scene and most of those songs are instant recognizable classics but this isn't a nostaglic act.

They are both important, but right now I would have to say the album is the most important. Touring is supposed to support an album(if there ever is one), not vice-versa. Once the album is out and doing fairly well, then the live show will regain its importance as a promotional tool.

That's what I'm saying it's not a promotional tool it's the be end and end all of the whole thing - the record should be a by product of the band being kick ass, so kick ass that a great record just comes flying out on giant toxic fireball.

The thing, which not many of you seem to realize is that when a band releases a new album, their tours still contains mostly classics(talking about old/big bands, which has a big stack of great songs). People WANT to hear the old songs too you know, most of the people go there to see songs like WTTJ, November Rain,Paradise city, Patience, KOHD, SCOM and all the 80-90s hits. Playing just(or mainly) new stuff would make even more dislike Axl and the new Guns, cause then they don't even recognize the songs. If they'd go on stage hitting whole CD and just like WTTJ and PC everyone would be like "what the hell is this crap? I wanted to see GNR"..

The thing, which not many of you seem to realize is that when a band releases a new album, their tours still contains mostly classics(talking about old/big bands, which has a big stack of great songs). People WANT to hear the old songs too you know, most of the people go there to see songs like WTTJ, November Rain,Paradise city, Patience, KOHD, SCOM and all the 80-90s hits. Playing just(or mainly) new stuff would make even more dislike Axl and the new Guns, cause then they don't even recognize the songs. If they'd go on stage hitting whole CD and just like WTTJ and PC everyone would be like "what the hell is this crap? I wanted to see GNR"..

the common exeption would probably be iron maiden who are playing their entire new album on their current tour with a few classics thrown in

the common exeption would probably be iron maiden who are playing their entire new album on their current tour with a few classics thrown in

Yeah well, despite the fact that they're not very good they have A LOT of fans, and(don't hate me), not many classics(comparing to GNR, ofcourse). I think Dylans tour this summer was mainly new songs, he played a few classics too though(saw him at Roskilde denmark), anyway, if you gonna play a new song with success on a concert it needs to be GOOD.

PS. Going from camp to concert area to see Dylan was the biggest waste of energy in my entire life. I'd rather see a vocal performance of Pittman than that shit.

Was reading Bob Dylan interview where he said that playing live or having a working band was what he was interested in, it is whats important. He said he had written songs and had recorded a lot of albums but he never felt he'd been recorded well. So to him live shows are what its all about. But I was thinking that in GNR world it's the record that's all important - well to me, but since so many people go to the shows without a new record then they might just think GNR as a live band is more important?

To be successful an artist needs both, BUT CD will put music on the radio and interest into the public.

Rainman rock3

i think the album is more important RIGHT NOW. the live shows are rallying the troops, so to speak. but a new album has the potential to increase the number of fans who will buy tickets for the live shows. this would include people who are newly exposed to gnr through the new album..and i think in some respects, a new album would get more of the old guns fans to the shows because it would make the new band seem more legitimate.