In Through the Out Door

Vincent Vega

Hey

As many of you know, the last album of new material by Led Zeppelinw as 1979's ''In Through the Out Door.'' Due to Jimmy Page being in throes of Heroin addiction at the time, a big chunk of the album's material was composed by Robert Plant and John Paul Jones, and is very sythensizer heavy. The guitar takes a back seat on a lot of the album's tracks, which is unusual for a Led Zeppelin record. It is my opinion that In Through the Out Door is generally a sub-par release by a great band, and if they had stayed together through the 80's, this album would've stood as both a showcase of a band in transition, from a guitar based sound in the '70s to a more artificial sound in the '80s and also as one of their weakest albums.

What's your opinion?

It may not fall in line with people's idea of what Zeppelin should sound like. But as an album it's pretty kick ass, good work from a band not affraid to try anything.

Standouts:

- In The Evening

- Carousembala

- Fool In The Rain

- I'm Gonna Crawl (for an album without too many Page solos, this song has one of his best ever)

It may not fall in line with people's idea of what Zeppelin should sound like. But as an album it's pretty kick ass, good work from a band not affraid to try anything.

Standouts:

- Carousembala

A great song that shows all the members talents, and I agree with your first statement.

honest to god i love it!, and i dont really care if jimmy was on heroin at the time from listening to songs such as carouselambra and hot dog its apparent they were all on something!

I love the album i really do, one of my fav's of all time actually. With all Zep album's though there were differences and this one was the use of synths, i personally think it worked superb

Standouts:

- In The Evening

- Carousembala

- Fool In The Rain

- I'm Gonna Crawl (for an album without too many Page solos, this song has one of his best ever)

yeah i agree... i love this album and i think it's easier to swallow if you take it as any album and not a "zeppelin" album. i'm a HUGE JPJ fan, so it's cool to see that side of the band.

i would compare it to 'by the way' by the chili peppers... it's a really good album IMO, but not a great "chili peppers" album, you know what i'm saying? the same way that 'sea change' isn't a typical "beck" album, those are still great albums, just a different flavor.

Edited by bass71player

Standouts:

- In The Evening

- Carousembala

- Fool In The Rain

Took the words right out of my mouth. That solo on I'm Gonna Crawl is amazing. There are a couple songs on it that aren't the best, but it's still a strong album with many standout moments if you really listen to it. And finally, someone recognizes Carouselambra. I think I've said this before, but the middle parts are jaw-dropping.

Another unpredictable release from Zeppelin, and it shows their good character, as well as great musicianship from everyone.

P.S. Hot Dog is still a great song to dance to. Not that I ever do or anything.

I remember the first time I heard a live show from Page & Plant from the 95 tour, they played In The Evening, and there's that part on it where the guitar solo ends and it goes all mellow and slow, well instead of the In The Evening middle section, they did the whole Carousembala middle section and it sounded amazing. I thought "About time that song gets some props!".