Is It Possible the CD Material--Including Leaks--

Vincent Vega

Hey

As I read some old GN'R articles going back almost a decade, a thought occurred to me. Is it possible that the leaks, and perhaps the other songs that have been performed live (and that haven't been heard) are ten years old? Perhaps some of the licks, riffs, melodies or even possibly the vocals of some of the leaks go back a decade.

Here's a little snippet from some GN'R articles from '96 and '97

''Addicted To Noise Toronto correspondent Peter Howell (who is rock critic for the Toronto Star) reports: Guns N' Roses is back working together again, according to bassist Duff McKagan. The multi-million-selling Los Angeles hard rock act had been rumored to have broken up, a casualty of bandmember lifestyle problems and changing musical tastes. But the group members recently reconvened after a long time apart, and they're back in the studio, recording their first album of original material in five years. "We've been in for two weeks as a full band with Slash and Axl (Rose) and me, and we go from midnight to five in the morning," McKagan said from L.A. "With Guns, there's no problems with material. The problem has always been getting us in the same room. So now that we're in there, it's rockin'."

The record will be all up-tempo rock songs ("No ballads," McKagan said firmly) and it will be just 12 songs, with a release planned for next spring. A summer tour would likely follow.

The Gunners were among the biggest rock acts in the world in the early '90s, selling millions of copies of their double-album 1991 disc, Use Your Illusion, and filling stadiums worldwide. But lawsuits arising from singer Rose's penchant for confronting obnoxious audience members, and various drug and health problems for the others, kept the band off the road and out of the studio since 1993, the year the band released a collection of cover tunes titled The Spaghetti Incident?

Part of getting his life back in gear was joining new band Neurotic Outsiders with fellow Gunner Matt Sorum, Sex Pistols' guitarist Steve Jones and Duran Duran bassist John Taylor. The four Hollywood buddies originally started the group last September as a charity fund-raiser lark, but it's grown into a serious side project. which McKagan is juggling with his Guns 'N Roses duties. "On this tour we're doing, Matt and I fly back from Toronto and then we do four days with Guns (recording) and then we go back out, so Matt and I are playing every single night with one or the other (bands) in September," McKagan said.

Keyboard player Dizzy Reed is also back in the GN'R lineup, but there's been a big change up front: Rose is now playing rhythm guitar. "For the last couple of years, he started to go, 'Okay, I'm going to play guitar and actually learn what these notes are.' It's an innocent guitar, not unlike Izzy (Stradlin, ex-GN'R guitarist) was, but Axl's got a lot more musically than Izzy ever did.''

McKagan said he feels great from his time off and his work with Neurotic Outsiders, and there's a good feeling in GN'R, too - but also some problems. "There's a certain tension with this band and there always has been, and there's some issues that haven't quite been cleared," McKagan said. "Just little things. We've been together 10 years. We're not unlike brothers. So there's tensions, but that's how we thrive." -END

MyGNR News, 11/96

''The band, who are reportedly in the midst of recording an album set for a summer '97 release, have not named a replacement [for Slash], and no word yet on whether any work Slash laid down on the album will appear on the final product. Although the split was reportedly by "mutual agreement" between Slash and singer Axl Rose, it seems safe to assume that this band, which stopped mattering sometime around "November Rain," is now free to stumble off into the heavy metal aria direction the frequently court-bound singer was last seen pushing it uphill. Slash is reportedly ready to start auditioning singers for his equally inconsequential solo project, Slash's Snakepit, since Eric Dover is busy with his band, Imperial Drag.''

MyGNR news Article, January 1997

''Addicted To Noise Orange County correspondent Mark Brown reports: Guns N' Roses leader Axl Rose has bought the rights to the name "Guns N' Roses," and can put out any music he wants under that moniker, played by anyone he chooses, according to (ex) Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash. If Axl gets the notion--and who's to say he won't?--he can dump the entire band and replace them with Debbie Boone, Vanilla Ice and Meatloaf singing the songs of Dexy's Midnight Runners and STILL call the whole thing Guns N' Roses.

"That's something that happened, Slash said this week from his L.A. home. "I was blindsided by it, more or less a legal faux pas. I don't know what he's gonna do, as far as that goes. But I'd be lying to say I wasn't a little bit peeved at that. It'd be one thing if I quit altogether. But I haven't, and the fact that he can actually go and do that without the consent of the other members of the band ..."

MyGNR News--Finck Enters GN'R--May 1997

''Rockers GUNS N' ROSES have recruited NINE INCH NAILS guitarist ROBIN FINCK to replace ousted axeman SLASH. Finck has been playing with singer AXL ROSE for several weeks after taking a break from TRENT REZNOR's grunge-techno group. He is a former member of theatrical drag queen band the IMPOTENT SEA SNAKES, for whom he played the chain saw. Rose has been writing songs for the long-awaited comeback album with his guitarist pal PAUL HUGE, but Huge will not appear on the album. Slash quit the group last year after creative differences with Rose. According to drummer MATT SORUM, the PARADISE CITY rockers have recorded "4,800 hours of music" over the past couple of years.''

Where did that ''4,800 hours'' of music go? You can't say Axl got rid of all of it. He'd be foolish not to keep at least some ideas or even parts of the music around. I just find it odd that there was tons of songs apparently, from what Matt said, and yet Axl in Jan. said they were working on only 32 songs. And what about that 12 song album? Again, is it possible that the music on CD (when and if it's released) won't be very new at all, perhaps going back a decade or more, and that the only thing new about it would be the production and lineup on the songs?

We know from accounts of many artists including Brian May and Moby, that their "sessions" were completed five and eight years ago respectively. So there is a huge "liniage" of material. And I am sure there is some GREAT material that will never ever be heard by anyone.

they are still improving the songs the play live. Like The Blues, changing the arrangement, lyrics etc. You wonder what they will release if it will be old stuff. I think an album sounds better if it has one producer or sound. If its a patch work of Youth, Moby and Thomas Baker and then Axl...it could sound it bit...Suppose you could redo do stuff. When was Better recorded? Written?

Even if the 4800 hours of music is vaguely correct, it probably means including individual musician tracks.

As for songs being 10 years old, i might believe that, but, with continual changes.

That is like 70,000 songs! But maby it´s individual tracks and several versions of same songs..

Still I don´t think this material is going to be on CD, or at least not songs that the former members had a writing part in.

Even if the 4800 hours of music is vaguely correct, it probably means including individual musician tracks.

As for songs being 10 years old, i might believe that, but, with continual changes.

That is like 70,000 songs! But maby it´s individual tracks and several versions of same songs..

Still I don´t think this material is going to be on CD, or at least not songs that the former members had a writing part in.

the old guys wont be on CD i can almost guarentee it

Ok here is the plan. I need 5 volunteers to break in in Axl's mansion. We steal all the music out of his vault and put it on the net (it's better to share it for free with all the fans who are eagerly waiting for some new music) It could'nt be that hard now that he is on tour isn't it? :unsure:

:D

We know from accounts of many artists including Brian May and Moby, that their "sessions" were completed five and eight years ago respectively. So there is a huge "liniage" of material. And I am sure there is some GREAT material that will never ever be heard by anyone.

Of course it'll be heard. In 50 years or so, after Axl's dead, the record company will raid that vault and milk it for all it's worth.

SG

If I recall correctly, Duff has somewhat recently stated that he has the demos from many of these sessions. We got a better chance with Duff saying "fuck it, take them," than we do Axl. Take that with a grain of salt though.

• 1 year later...

I meant individual tracks, for example, if you take one 4 minute song and split up all the recordings, then it is a multiple of that 4 minute song (or solo or whatever noise they've added).

Say there are 30 tracks on a 4 minute song (and that's probably being conservative) then that equals 2 hours. If you think of all the musicians jamming, licks, riffs, farting in their sleep and raps :rolleyes: that have probably been recorded, then it is believable.

I don't know, Axl's voice seem to be the same in all versions of the leaks (except for Chi Dem which has overdubs on top). Catcher, for instance, is a very old leak and his voice seem to still sound like the 2001-era voice (probably it is even the same recording). The same with IRS, If the World and Rhyad. For some reason, Madagascar, Better, Blues, TWAT, etc. has the '06 tour voice. It's kind of weird that everyone talks about Axl tinkering in the studio and putting finishing touches, but it seems that most changes are done by the rest of the band (probably on Axl's request?) and not on his vocals.

Rose is now playing rhythm guitar. "For the last couple of years, he started to go, 'Okay, I'm going to play guitar and actually learn what these notes are.' It's an innocent guitar, not unlike Izzy (Stradlin, ex-GN'R guitarist) was, but Axl's got a lot more musically than Izzy ever did.''

It's a miracle that Izz talks to any of his former bandmates.