So much makes sense now

Estranged Reality

I am not an "Axlite."

Far from it, actually. But I try to remain objective, as I have said before, and when something like this happens - I am not going to sit there and attack Axl. I'm absolutely ecstatic that he's done this.

So many things make sense. Just a few, for example:

Back when the VMAs aired I thought it was really strange how Axl was almost avoiding the question about the album coming out. It was like he didn't want to discuss it.

I thought, Why if you're trying to promote an album - and you have everyone on MTV watching you - would you shy away from a question like that?

And then, during this tour, he has never mentioned the album. At all. Never any promotion for it. And he hasn't been doing interviews or anything for it. He never introduces the new songs. It's like he's ashamed of talking about it.

Now it makes sense. He's known for the past four or five months that Merck was up to this shit, and he probably knew Merck was doing nothing to help advance the release of the album. He knew he had been deceived into lying to fans - Merck himself probably put those leaks on the Internet to fill his own pocket. He gains profit from every show GN'R plays, you know? Touring on the strength of the leaks - it was the surge Axl needed to get back on the road. And he probably convinced Axl to go out and start touring again. (This is just speculation, of course, but who didn't think prior to this evening that the tour had turned into a money grab?)

I'm not saying Axl Rose is totally innocent of misleading fans, but I honestly believe he's being truthful here, simply for the reasons above: why wouldn't he have taken advantage of the situation to promote the album otherwise?

You people know I'm not an Axl ball-licker, but for once I really feel good about being an Axl Rose fan. I honestly believe that Axl has been struggling to get this thing together and that also explains why he has distanced himself from Merck recently.

And the cancellations? They make more sense now. He and Merck have probably been at odds for ages. Fresno cancellation - seeing how this came out now, it probably was because Axl and Merck came to a stopping point and Axl basically cut off ties with him flat out and refused to cooperate any further.

And if this is true, then it proves Axl DOES have respect for his fans and true integrity after all. I think there are a lot of legal things going on within the band, and that's the reason sometimes Axl's silence comes across as being ignorant when in fact it's simply because he can't speak out.

So this is kind of a closure of my other thread, "Respect for the fans." Axl has finally stepped up and taken initiative and shown his true colors. I'm glad to call myself a Guns N' Roses fan again, and I'm hoping very much that this isn't just another excuse.

But for once I actually believe Axl and I get the feeling he's being completely open.

I hope he continues to be more open. What a relief it is when he takes the time to clarify matters for us.

Edited by Estranged Reality

I agree for the most part, except for the fact that Merck was purposely doing all of these things just to fill his own pockets. I mean, yeah, they're all in it for the money, but I don't think the leaks, etc., were all just a ploy to piss Axl off and get as much money for him as possible. What I do think is that Merck was not nearly desperate enough to get the album out and wanted to tour w/o an album while convincing Axl that the album was coming, while all along trying to slowly push a release date further and further back. Axl obviously had enough of this and smartly gave him the axe. Other than this, though, your opinion was a good read.

Was Axl unaware of the statements that merck made at the time they were made? He was aware of what was going on and knew that the statements were not true, but yet he didn't do anything to correct the situation. At worst he was complicit in bullshitting his fans, which in light of a tentative release date is something that we can forgive.

Was Axl unaware of the statements that merck made at the time they were made? He was aware of what was going on and knew that the statements were not true, but yet he didn't do anything to correct the situation. At worst he was complicit in bullshitting his fans, which in light of a tentative release date is something that we can forgive.

I agree that he should have spoken out, BUT (and I think this is very important in regards to the issue) I believe - based on the implications from his open letter - that there are certain legal issues. If Merck announces a release date for the end of the year and Axl doesn't think it's possible, he would first confront Merck. Merck probably tried to convince him they could get it done in three weeks, and Axl held on as long as possible before finally confronting Merck and firing him. But you can't just fire a band manager - especially in the middle of the tour - and if Axl had spoken out right after Merck made the announcement about the "13 Tuesdays" just imagine how much of a fuss it would have made. The entire tour could have been canceled by promoters who would have accused the band of lying to them and would have feared another 2002.

Keep in mind Axl has that in the back of his mind - if this tour fails again he's fucked forever. 2002 almost ended him apparently and I think he knows this is his last chance.

I think that's probably why we're only hearing from him now.

Based on what he wrote, it seems that he went straight to the label (Universal) with his concerns and they both agreed that Merck's behavior was deceitful and arranged his termination from the management.

I am not an "Axlite."

Far from it, actually. But I try to remain objective, as I have said before, and when something like this happens - I am not going to sit there and attack Axl. I'm absolutely ecstatic that he's done this.

So many things make sense. Just a few, for example:

Back when the VMAs aired I thought it was really strange how Axl was almost avoiding the question about the album coming out. It was like he didn't want to discuss it.

I thought, Why if you're trying to promote an album - and you have everyone on MTV watching you - would you shy away from a question like that?

And then, during this tour, he has never mentioned the album. At all. Never any promotion for it. And he hasn't been doing interviews or anything for it. He never introduces the new songs. It's like he's ashamed of talking about it.

Now it makes sense. He's known for the past four or five months that Merck was up to this shit, and he probably knew Merck was doing nothing to help advance the release of the album. He knew he had been deceived into lying to fans - Merck himself probably put those leaks on the Internet to fill his own pocket. He gains profit from every show GN'R plays, you know? Touring on the strength of the leaks - it was the surge Axl needed to get back on the road. And he probably convinced Axl to go out and start touring again. (This is just speculation, of course, but who didn't think prior to this evening that the tour had turned into a money grab?)

I'm not saying Axl Rose is totally innocent of misleading fans, but I honestly believe he's being truthful here, simply for the reasons above: why wouldn't he have taken advantage of the situation to promote the album otherwise?

You people know I'm not an Axl ball-licker, but for once I really feel good about being an Axl Rose fan. I honestly believe that Axl has been struggling to get this thing together and that also explains why he has distanced himself from Merck recently.

And the cancellations? They make more sense now. He and Merck have probably been at odds for ages. Fresno cancellation - seeing how this came out now, it probably was because Axl and Merck came to a stopping point and Axl basically cut off ties with him flat out and refused to cooperate any further.

And if this is true, then it proves Axl DOES have respect for his fans and true integrity after all. I think there are a lot of legal things going on within the band, and that's the reason sometimes Axl's silence comes across as being ignorant when in fact it's simply because he can't speak out.

So this is kind of a closure of my other thread, "Respect for the fans." Axl has finally stepped up and taken initiative and shown his true colors. I'm glad to call myself a Guns N' Roses fan again, and I'm hoping very much that this isn't just another excuse.

But for once I actually believe Axl and I get the feeling he's being completely open.

I hope he continues to be more open. What a relief it is when he takes the time to clarify matters for us.

Great post, I'm completely with you on it. It also explains why the Harley ad vanished.

Edited by Elnombre

The only thing I don't like/understand is why does he have to cancel the last shows? You know he will get SOOOOOOOOOO much shit for that, and with another delay (even though I feel he WILL deliver) it just looks bad. Wasn't there a way to fire Merk but also finish the tour??

because as he said in his letter that he doesn't want to delay CD anymore

and he probably has to cancel those shows to get things prepared for a release.

And to make a video

i beleave when slash said axl is all about axl that the truth if he really thought merck was fucking around he would have stopped this tour a while ago it was just another master plan from Mr Rose to take all our money and make an aging 40 something rocker rich yet again and a march 6 date buys him 2 1/2 months to come up with a new excuse sorry rip me if u want but everyone in here know this is the truth :anger:

The only thing I don't like/understand is why does he have to cancel the last shows? You know he will get SOOOOOOOOOO much shit for that, and with another delay (even though I feel he WILL deliver) it just looks bad. Wasn't there a way to fire Merk but also finish the tour??

Didn't he explain that in the statement. He needed that time to either finish up chinese democracy or shoot videos for the album. And they are planning a asian tour in march. So it makes sense. (it might start erlier etc)

I think Axl is stressing to get this album of his hands. Guess it feels kinda like a course for him. So I guess he will ble glad just to get it out.

Boys and girls, I'm very sorry......but I can't help it:

I love GNR, I love music, I love bands, I love Axl (damn, that must have been the gayest thing I ever said), and I deffinately love my fellow board members and GNR fans.

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing but love today!!!!!!!

Boys and girls, I'm very sorry......but I can't help it:

I love GNR, I love music, I love bands, I love Axl (damn, that must have been the gayest thing I ever said), and I deffinately love my fellow board members and GNR fans.

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing but love today!!!!!!!

Thank you.

But this has nothing to do with this thread.

I'm not saying Axl Rose is totally innocent of misleading fans

I honestly believe that Axl has been struggling to get this thing together

True, however i believe it was never his intention to mislead fans, i really think he loves his fans, because they are those who understands the message of his music.

Well said ER, I feel the same way..

I feel bad for Axl, but Im happy that he did thought of the Fans in a time like this.

i think it shows that GN'R isnt one man show, couse they all together in it.

I belive in a better future now that things are alittle bit clearer to us, and Axl doing his best.

Axl gained his fans trust thats for sure.