Who would you pick . . . velvet or the new gnr?

Guest Apollo

OK, here is a question for some fun! Since everybody is so freaked out by the letters, and some people on here do nothing but rip apart Axl . . . . let's lighten things up a bit with a fun and hypothetical question.

Please keep your responses intelligent . . . but feel free to throw in humor! (meaning, if your gonna rip one side, please do it with facts and not just 'he sucks')

Here's the situation.

Your a producer and you have one contract you can give out before 2006 ends. Your career rides on your decision. It's a 10-year deal, for $25 million dollars, and you have two bands that your bosses want you to choose from.

THERE HAS BEEN NOOOOOOOOOOO GUNS N ROSES. GUNS N ROSES DOESN'T OR HAS NEVER EXISTED. THERE IS NO APPETITE, NO ILLUSIONS, NO GUNS N ROSES. THERE HAS BEEN NO VELVET REVOLVER IN THE PAST. YOU ARE LOOKING AT TWO COMPLETELY BRAND NEW BANDS.

Manager A brings you a copy of an album that he calls Contraband. You hear Weedland's voice, Slash's guitar, Matt's drumming and Duff's bass pounding away. He says that they have almost an albums worth of new material ready to go by March of 2007.

Manager B brings you a CD that contains songs called Better, IRS, Catcher in The Rye, TWAT, The Blues, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, Ryadd, Checkmate and Oh My God. You hear Axl's voice, Fink, Fortus and the rest of the boys playing the music. He says that they have these songs, plus 10 more finished songs and will have an ablum complete by March of 2007.

After hearing BOTH albums . . . . . . which band would you invest your money and career into??????

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would, without any hesitation, invest my money into Axl's band.

Band A is tight and has a couple catchy songs. Their singer is OK, but sounds the same - as do a lot of the songs. Fall To Pieces sounds dated to me and would have been a better fit in 1991. Basically this is an updated version of LA Guns. I've already got Buckcherry and Lit signed to contracts - why do I need this band? If I signed them, it would be in the hopes of being a band that sold a couple hundred thousand copies of their CDS, would be fairly popular in the hard rock genre. They might be a solid opening band for some bigger rock acts. I'd expect them to have a shelf life of 3-4 albums.

Band B has the potential to be EPIC. Their lead singer is heads and shoulders above band A's lead singer. Better - TWAT - Catcher In The Rye - Chinese Democracy - these songs are better than any song on band A's album. They have a sound that could produce number one hits, number one albums and be one of the biggest rock bands out there. Put them and Nickleback (arguably the most popular hard rock band out there right now - I DIDNT say I liked them - but going by album sales, they are it) and I think people will choose this new band every time. Their music is smart, lyrics are great. Comparing lyrics of the songs between the two bands is ridiculously funny - Band A is basic and forumulated - fall to peices only has like 3 different lines in the entire song - whereas Band B has fantastic lyrics.

Band B blows away Band A.

(I REALIZE THE BIG THING WOULD BE DEPENDABILITY - AXL TENDS TO CANCEL MORE SHOWS THAN MOST DO. BUT WE'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT OLD STUFF)

Thanks for playing! I look forward to hearing your comments.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a stupid thread.

And all your credibility flew out the window when you referred to Weiland as "Weedland."

And surely this isn't the appropriate forum to post this in, anyway. :rolleyes:

We don't need more people trying to compare and "pick or choose" between GN'R and VR.

They're different bands, they put out different music.

((((((HAHAHAHA - I JUST WENT BACK AND LOOKED AT YOUR PAST TOPICS, AND YOU ACTUALLY STARTED A TOPIC THAT ASKED WHICH ALBUM WERE PEOPLE LOOKING MORE FORWARD TO: CHINESE DEMOCRACY OR LIBERATED!!!!!!! Apparently it's OK for you to ask people to decide . . . but not for others to do so as well!!! Brilliant.)))))

A stupid thread . . . .but yet, you responded to it!!!

My credibility?? This is a rock and roll message board, sir. And it's not my fault that Weedland has a problem with drugs! Does me making fun of his name give me less credibility than a drug addict has????

And people compare the two bands because they are both made up of members from the original Guns N Roses. It's certainly not a stretch to compare the two bands that were produced after their break up. When you go to a Van Halen forum, you talk and compare the hagar and roth versions, as well as the solo careers of roth and hagar after they left VH.

What topics would you like me to present?

Whats your favorite color?

How much do you love Slash's hat?

Do you prefer Axl with braids or with straight hair?

Isn't Duff the greatest? He's soooo cool.

Whats your favorite ice cream?

Edited by Apollo

did anyone else notice that he began with "manager a" and "manager b" and then (without ever mentionind manager a and b again) switches to "band a" and "band b"

talk about weedland!

now go back and dig up some of my old posts so you can berate me, fool

I'm not trying to validate Merck's comments. This post has nothing to do with that. I'm just asking - if these were two unknown entities - which band would you think had more potential???

You can't give them both half the contract! That's the easy way out.

Estranged . . . . opinions are what keeps people from being balanced! I'm not CNN or a reporter telling a story and presenting both sides. In my opinion . . . the big words there being "MY" and "OPINION" . . . . I don't care for weedland that much.

I'm not trying to lay out a fair and balanced presentation of both sides.

If you had contraband and the songs we've heard so far that make up the "maybe" chinese democracy in your hands . . . which band would you invest your money in????

And in case there is any doubt sir, I'm a huge Axl fan. And I think Weedland sucks.

I also find it hilarious that you've posted a couple poll questions where you ask people to pick which album they like better!

I also find it hilarious that you've posted a couple poll questions where you ask people to pick which album they like better!

Where?

From a financial standpoint I'd probably choose VR because they have a more reliable track record and I wouldn't fear album sales inflating past $15 million. Artistically I'd choose GN'R because I prefer their music from what I've heard so far. But I'd probably put in a contract denying Chris Pitman from being able to write any songs to prevent another Silkworms. He could only contribute his awesome synth.

i've give them each a 5 year contract for $12.5 million.

Well that would be another five years added to CD :rofl-lol:

:laugh:

Or, I'd take the best parts of each band (Axl, Slash, Matt, Duff) and offer them the contract; maybe one of them would have a childhood friend who can play rhythm....... :xmassrudolph:

did anyone else notice that he began with "manager a" and "manager b" and then (without ever mentionind manager a and b again) switches to "band a" and "band b"

talk about weedland!

now go back and dig up some of my old posts so you can berate me, fool

The fact that you chose to point out a continuity problem in my post rather than giving us YOUR opinion on the actual topic . . . . well, sir, it says a lot about you!!!!!

For those of you simple-minded folks out there . . . . band A and manager A are the SAME and band B and manager B are the same. I'm surprised that I have to spell that out to people. Course, if I'd have listed them the opposite way, Slash fans would be complaining that I was being biased by listing Axl first and Slash second!!! You people crack me up.

Nambis - your reply had enough interest in it to make me respond to it . . . but certainly wasn't interesting enough to compell me to go back and read any of your old posts. Sorry.

You just can't compare an album who has over 10years in the making, with Libertad which VR began to work with about a year ago, or with contraband which also took about a year to complete..

Let's see in ten years when VRs GH comes out, and then compare that album with Chinese Democracy.

Because, that's what Chinese Democracy is.. the "Best of GN'R 1996-2006"

But yes, I'd take CD over Contraband any day.

I don't like VR's music but I respect them for what they are doing. I never liked Scott from his STP days so I suppose that is what keeps me from liking them as a band. Maybe if they had a different singer I would feel differently, I dunno.

But I would still give the money to GNR even though getting them to release an album is a crapshoot, I grew up listening to Axl's voice and that is what I choose to support.

Very hard to actually take away what we really know and see these as two new bands with no history attached.....

I would also have to assume that the quality of the recordings were the same (productions-wise) and I wasn't looking at a finished album vs some rough demo recordings... as well as ignoring personalities etc....wow- very hard. <_<

I think with this lack of info, on a commercial basis, I would pick the 'new gnr'

the singers voice is more distinct with greater range, the songs seem to have more memorable hooks to me as well where I hear obvious filler material with contraband...... the attempt is not as even with some highs but some real lows.

Well, that's my take in pretend land anyway. :)

Estranged - thank you. Thats the type of answers I was hoping for.

(I was referring to old topics you've started - you have at least two polls where you ask people to choose which between two albums).

Vadin . . . .

Sir, the length of time it takes to make an album really has no bearing on how good said album will be. MOST people tend to think that the length of time has hurt the upcoming Chinese Democracy, becuz it probably means Axl keeps going in and changing and revising the songs. And, my friend, some of the GREATEST albums of all time were written in short amounts of time.

Thank you for responding though! And I agree with you. I'd take CD over Contraband any day of the year!!!! As would 99% of all record companies.

Who'd sign a band with a high pitched screamer in the year 2006?

Bach's finding it easy to get labels

or put it this way: "who'd sign Axl Rose in the year2006?" uhm, anyone?

4000 posts!

Finaly im "oh my god" (the song :D (

Edited by Chris Axl

Thank you for responding though! And I agree with you. I'd take CD over Contraband any day of the year!!!! As would 99% of all record companies.

Even as an Axlite I don't believe this to be true. VR has something that the new GNR incarnation doesn't. A track record. I know you said to compare as if neither had released an album but that just cannot be done realistically. Record companies want bands to release records otherwise they just don't make money.

I think that once GNR releases CD things will be different but for the time being VR has one up on them for actually releasing an album of new material with a second album on the way.