Who would you pick . . . velvet or the new gnr?

Guest Apollo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who'd sign a band with a high pitched screamer in the year 2006?

Bach's finding it easy to get labels

Was he finding it easy before he got back in touch with Axl?

I seem to recall he was doing a reality show with other musicians past their sell-by date, and singing Hollaback Girl on Gilmore Girls.

Thank you for responding though! And I agree with you. I'd take CD over Contraband any day of the year!!!! As would 99% of all record companies.

You don't know that. Only reason New GNR AND VR have a chance in an industry that is now dominated by hip-hop and r&b is BECAUSE of their history. Without that, who knows if either would get a second look.

Thank you for responding though! And I agree with you. I'd take CD over Contraband any day of the year!!!! As would 99% of all record companies.

You don't know that. Only reason New GNR AND VR have a chance in an industry that is now dominated by hip-hop and r&b is BECAUSE of their history. Without that, who knows if either would get a second look.

Sweety, but I do know it. And deep inside that heart of yours . . .you know it too.

Songs like Better, IRS, CITR, TWAT, The Blues, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy BLOW away anything that Velvet Revolver has put out.

Sweety, but I do know it. And deep inside that heart of yours . . .you know it too.

Songs like Better, IRS, CITR, TWAT, The Blues, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy BLOW away anything that Velvet Revolver has put out.

You are right in saying the music is better but you have to think in terms of a record company that wants to sell records. VR makes records, GNR has yet to release one with the new band.

Your logic is flawed. I love GNR as much as you do and I think the leaks are 1000 times better than anything VR has come up with but it still doesn't change the fact that they aren't selling any albums at the moment.

Next year I think your logic will make more sense once CD is actually released.

Are you a record producer? NONE of us know that; and those songs really aren't mind-blowing; not that VR's record was either. Again, its their history that gives them a chance.

"Are you a record producer? NONE of us know that; and those songs really aren't mind-blowing; not that VR's record was either. Again, its their history that gives them a chance."

If your love for Slash soooooo diminishes your ability to reason and use common sense . . . then we shouldn't be having this debate!!!

If you took every major record producer in the WORLD and handed them Contraband and a CD-Rom with Better, IRS, TWAT, Chinese Democracy, The Blues, Madagascar and Catcher In The Rye on it . . . and asked them "which band would you rather have" . . . 9 out of 10 would take the second one. Contraband sounds like every other rock album done in the past five years. Buckcherry does it better than Velvet Revolver. Nobody else sounds like the new GnR.

Show me a 1-thru-7 song selection that is as high quality music as Better-thru-CITR and I'll fly to your home town, make sweet love to you for hours, clean your house, cook you dinner and change the oil in your car!!!

And if there are actually songs that are better than the ones I've listed . . . then Merck is 100% correct. This could be one of the biggest rock albums of all time.

i drove 9 hours to see velvet revolver and was front row on the floor and i gotta say that it was an amazing showand that scott surprised me as a frontman (but he definitely cant sing live, you couldnt hear a word he sang)...and now 2 years later i finally got to see new GNR and again i was front row on the floor and i gotta say that GNR was a million times better live than VR, VR just didnt give everything we got from the guys in GNR, axl kicked ass but it was also the band giving it their all for 2 and a half hours, velvet revolver isnt even in new GNR's league....with that said, everyone will think im an axlite and i am, but slash is my favorite guitarist of all time and hes awesome but he just doesnt put on a show like robin finck and the boys, i just think the people who want slash back in GNR just think slash=GNR cause of the image...

If I got the GN'R demos and new live songs and the studio album "Contraband" to pick between I'd have to go with Velvet Revolver. I don't think people who choose GN'R are really putting aside that the guy who started the thread said there would be no AFD or UYI records in this equation. (you didn't say anything about STP though) :D

By the way, the only way "band B" has the potential to be epic is if in fact AFD and UYI do exist. ;)

Edited by Lukinx

I don't know what the purpose or what this question would prove.

If I was a record exec, I probably would sign Axl's band because the music would probably appeal to the general public more. And my job would be to sign who would make my company the most money.

With that being said, I would pick Justin Timberlake or Christina Aguilera over Axl's band because they would make me more money.

You get my point???

Now.....if you ask me who the better band is chemistry-wise, talent-wise, and artistically, I would tell you Velvet Revolver.

Unfortunatley, good art does not sale these days.

Edited by da_illest_in_402

"Are you a record producer? NONE of us know that; and those songs really aren't mind-blowing; not that VR's record was either. Again, its their history that gives them a chance."

If your love for Slash soooooo diminishes your ability to reason and use common sense . . . then we shouldn't be having this debate!!!

If you took every major record producer in the WORLD and handed them Contraband and a CD-Rom with Better, IRS, TWAT, Chinese Democracy, The Blues, Madagascar and Catcher In The Rye on it . . . and asked them "which band would you rather have" . . . 9 out of 10 would take the second one. Contraband sounds like every other rock album done in the past five years. Buckcherry does it better than Velvet Revolver. Nobody else sounds like the new GnR.

Show me a 1-thru-7 song selection that is as high quality music as Better-thru-CITR and I'll fly to your home town, make sweet love to you for hours, clean your house, cook you dinner and change the oil in your car!!!

And if there are actually songs that are better than the ones I've listed . . . then Merck is 100% correct. This could be one of the biggest rock albums of all time.

You mean of all time? Well, for starters, there is AFD. ;)

And it has nothing to do with my love for Slash--I even said Contraband wasn't mind-blowing. But I also think it depends on what you're looking for in your music. I really am not blown away by the "new" songs. I like the Blues, I like IRS, and Better is ok. I can't stand CITR at all and TWAT is barely listenable to me at this point, but I'll hold out final judgement until I hear the album.

I love Axl, I love Slash. I just think they are far better together than they are apart. New GNR=VR to me. I don't think one is better than the other. Each has the best parts of what Guns N' Roses used to be about.

I think you know where I'm going with this. The question is inherently flawed. GN'R wouldn't even have songs like CITR, TWAT, Better, IRS, The Blues, and Maddy if Axl was an unknown. Where would he get $13,000,000 to hire an 8 member band (including a guitar virtuoso and two keyboard players no less), Brian May, Shaq, Moby, several producers, and composers like Buckmaster and Beltrami (I probably spelled those wrong). Etc!!

I prefer Axl's music too. It's why I am a lot more interested in Chi Dem than I am in Contraband or Libertad. But I am interested in those as well. As luvaxl4ever said, each band has the best parts of what GN'R used to be. I don't really need to choose between either. I will have them both. Some days I feel like listening to Better and CITR. Other days I am more interested in hearing You Got No Right and Loving the Alien. Why do fans think they have to choose one or the other? Contrary to what some of you might think, Axl isn't going to invite you to his hot tub naked at his Malibu mansion if you praise him all day long on the forums and reject VR. :rolleyes:

Edited by KBear

And how am I supposed to compare them...?

Based on live shows? Well that one easily goes to VR since they are the better live act

so should I base it on albums well let's see a multi platinum album vs a oh wait..... :rolleyes:

Guess that one is gonna go to VR aswell

Edited by grouse

Its almost like all the years of waiting hearing this and that keeps all of us die hard fans just wondering when its really going to happen despite so many disappointments....Even though the mainstream and all of my friends keep telling me its never going to come out.I never predicted when its going to come out until this year....So I feel somewhat like a dumbass saying the album will be out for sure this year...Oh well I still believe in Axl and the new GUNS!Fuck the naysayers.