Windows Media Player 11

Maddergascar

How awful is this new version? Loading all this album art all the time makes everything take twice as long as it used to. I've been trying for half an hour to work out how to add a song i just downloaded to the library. It was so much easier when i could just expand the lists of albums/artist on the left, quickly type something in to jump to it, and view the current selection in the main view without having to exit just to select another album. It sounds really petty but this interface is seriously annoying and as far as i can see there is no way to revert or speed the process up.

I already did that, that only half solves the problem. You still can't look at the contents of an album on the right at the same time as the list of albums on the left. When you select the "songs" screen and arrange them alpahbetically, you can't just type in the first few letters of the name and jump to it, you've got to scroll all the way down. And you've got to switch back to the "now playing" section to view what's going on at the moment rather than having it on the right automatically. You can't right click on a song to edit all the information for it. God knows how you do that now.

Edited by Maddergascar

I already did that, that only half solves the problem. You still can't look at the contents of an album on the right at the same time as the list of albums on the left. When you select the "songs" screen and arrange them alpahbetically, you can't just type in the first few letters of the name and jump to it, you've got to scroll all the way down. And you've got to switch back to the "now playing" section to view what's going on at the moment rather than having it on the right automatically. You can't right click on a song to edit all the information for it. God knows how you do that now.

I can do all of that :unsure:

I can do all of that :unsure:

How? When on the library screen you can't expand the albums into a nice simple text list on the left, you have to open it up in the main window. You can open the Advanced Tag Editor from the library, but you can't it up by right clicking on a now playing song, which is how i used to add it to the library. Are you sure you've got wmp 11?

11 is leagues ahead of 10. I haven't experienced any of the issues you speak of there.

You need to use Artist view if you want to see the list of albums and songs in the same window.

I don't. I wanna expand "artist" on the left, then have a list of albums by the selected artist appear in the middle, but still have the artist list on the left.

11 is leagues ahead of 10. I haven't experienced any of the issues you speak of there.

You need to use Artist view if you want to see the list of albums and songs in the same window.

I don't. I wanna expand "artist" on the left, then have a list of albums by the selected artist appear in the middle, but still have the artist list on the left.

Oh.

Why? :unsure:

Is there a way to get tracks from My Music file automatically transfered to the 'all songs' list after its downloaded from Lime wire?

You have to set it up so that WMP monitors the folder that your Limewire downloads are contained in.

File ---> Add To Library, then it should be straightforward from there.

As for iTunes vs WMP - iTunes uses just over double the memory that WMP does on my computer, and takes about 5 times longer to start. If I had an iPod then i'd use it, but for now i'll stick with WMP, thanks.

That does look rather good; i do miss the MSN now playing feature with winamp.

EDIT: Anyone know how to get media to actually appear in the main window? The columns are there but there's nothing in them. Yet when i go on Library >> Album List they're all there?

Edited by Maddergascar

VLC was handy - but screwed up my PC. I just use iTunes.

Just curious...how did it screw up your pc? :unsure:

Probably using a beta/developer's version?

More importantly, how did you use it as your primary player? It doesn't support libraries... :unsure:

i don't use libraries. i just open a folder(usually an album) and click "play all" or just a song. i use wimamp but i'm just not bothered to set up a library ;)