General opinion has changed so much in 2006

Montrealer

I remember in 2002 when I was saying to my friends I was going to see GN'R they tought I was crazy, that this was not GN'R, that it was a real joke...

But in 2006, everything has changed. General opinion has changed a lot about Axl and Guns N' Roses.

Eveytime I saw them this year, people were telling me how lucky I was. They read critics and heard about these guys are good and how the show is amazing.

There a HUGE difference about people on the forums and people that are not. Here people analyse everything and sometimes a little too much. People out there just care about the music and the quality of the shows.

I have been to a lot of party during christmas time and you were sure that when GN'R was playing, the dance floor was packed. People were talking about the band a lot.. you see more and more kids out there wearing their GN'R shirts.

Do you know a lot of bands that can create a hype like that in only one year of touring? Without no new album... it simply amazed me.

What surprised me a lot too was that people were accepting that Slash was not there anymore. In 2002 people were screaming for Slash at concerts, but now, they talked about the new guys with a lot of positive comments...

Damn it makes you feel proud to be a GN'R fan !

i think it was good for no promtion i do think people are slowing coming around to the idea of new people in the band or at least thats just the way its going to be i had some friends tell me they heard the concerts were really good i was like they were more than good the best :)

Well if you beleive general opinion has changed so much, how can you account for relatively (comparing to how big a name they were) poor ticket sales?

Actually it's because of 2002.

Same here in Montreal and Quebec.. before the Quebec city show (that was sold out), people were negative about GN'R.. but after the great concert.. a lot of great press reviews on TV and newspapers, things have changed. I'm sure it's the same in other cities that concert went well.. wait for the next tour and check ticket sales, I'm sure it will be a lot better

i agree things are looking bright but axl still has much to prove. i think if the album is delayed more we will see serious backlash, just look at the way things were on here in november and you'll see ;)

my opinion has changed somewhat, i like the new band more :)

What surprised me a lot too was that people were accepting that Slash was not there anymore.

I know that yours is not a spin-free post, so I'll add my .02 - Do you think this is partially why attendance was down all over the U.S.? Because people know Slash is not in the band anymore, and don't want to go??

I agree. By far the biggest improvement in this band has been Robin Finck, not only is his playing a lot tighter than 2002, he has so much more charisma and stage presence. You can now honestly place him as a member of Guns N' Roses. Look at all the reviews that have been coming out, there's barely any which don't acknowledge the presence of Robin Finck in the band.

The critics and the general public are definetly coming round to the reworked entity known as Guns N' Roses.

Yeah, I agree.

People used to thing my GN'R obsession was weird, and people pretty much scoffed at me liking a band that wasn't going to do anything and hadn't for so long.

Then I told people I was going to the concert, and they got so excited and told me how lucky I was.

I disagree, Montrealer. I don't know for the other shows but at the one I attended, people booed all the guitar solos, mainly Finck's one.

People came to see Axl, that's it.

See I saw 4 shows this year and I never saw that happened.

In Toronto and Québec city, people were not even sitting down during the solos...

You know, this girl Amanda in my English class used to wear Nickelback shirts, she saw GN'R once in 2006, and now she has over 8 GN'R shirts. Liking GN'R is becoming cool again. This year, I've seen at least 50 more people at school in GN'R shirts than last year, when me, and two other guys were the only ones wearing GN'R shirts.

I disagree, Montrealer. I don't know for the other shows but at the one I attended, people booed all the guitar solos, mainly Finck's one.

I think that's accurate.

With no new product and people not even sure who is in the band, whatever tickets they moved this time around was on Axl and Axl alone.

I think it depends on where you live. Obviously Axl and company did great in Europe over the summer, and the ticket sales were great in Canada recently. However in the states(NY and LA the exceptions), they didn't do very well.

I could see Axl touring Europe again in 2007 without an album, he might as well give it a try, it worked last year. I hope I'm wrong, I want the album as much as you guys/gals.

But Axl still hasn't made an impact in the US, its a big market with a lot of money to be made. I hope things change for the better in 2007, but I still have my doubts.

Happy New Year!

Here's hoping - I think moreso than anywhere else, the presence of a new record/new exposure is critical to a successful tour in the 'States. The GNR flame still burns brightly in lots of places outside of the US as evidenced by the successful European tour, which is great to see.

Unfortunately, here in the U.S. the record-buying public has a very short attention span. The first leg of the tour was a success, no doubt, and I congratulate GNR on completing it successfully - But next time around, it will be significantly bigger in the U.S., in my estimation.

Edited by EccoTides

I don't know for the other shows but at the one I attended, people booed all the guitar solos, mainly Finck's one.

I agree with this statement, it was the same way in Worcester. You could tell who the fake GNR band supporters were cause all 8 of them attending the show were the only ones cheering the solos. Everyone else dummied up or went to take a wizz...and I was 3 rows up in the lower level, so I saw everything.

I don't know for the other shows but at the one I attended, people booed all the guitar solos, mainly Finck's one.

I agree with this statement, it was the same way in Worcester. You could tell who the fake GNR band supporters were cause all 8 of them attending the show were the only ones cheering the solos. Everyone else dummied up or went to take a wizz...and I was 3 rows up in the lower level, so I saw everything.

That's sorta what I saw. No booing, but definately boredom and a lot of looks that said 'we waited til midnight for THIS?'

The topic starter has a skewed view, or as Kevin Smith might say, a View Askew.

Unfortunately, public response to this has not been all smiles and roses, even if some fans would like to convince themselves that everyone who 'actually goes to the show' is loving what they're getting. A lot of people are angry and won't be going to see them again after being kept waiting that long only to sit thru a lot of rambling solos.

You know I enjoy the shows and the band, but realistically, they're not gaining many fans from their behavior.

The album could go either way, but don't expect a huge increase in ticket sales next time around. Out of the few thousand folks in attendance at every show, only 100 or so are die hard fans who understand that Axl goes on late and the solos are a part of the show. I'm quite certain several thousand people at all the shows I went to, though great shows, were turned off by that.

It's what I heard in the concourse and on the way out to the parking lot every time. People think these new guys are trying to distract from Slash's absence by showing off. Don't tell me I'm wrong, it's not my opinion. It's a fact that I heard this opinion stated numerous (dozens of) times after I left every show. It far outweighed any positive comments I heard.

Remember folks, the 'court of public opinion' in the end is unfortunately going to matter much more than the 'court of fan message board opinion'

I wrote great positive reviews for the shows. That doesn't mean that there weren't a shitload of people that were turned off by how the new band works. Sure, the old band went on late and played solos too. Problem is, people were ok with a Slash solo and not necessarily as excited to see a Robin Finck solo. Also, Axl has a lot more to prove now and his 'professional habits' are definately not helping. Maybe some hardcore fans here will say 'fuck you, Axl doesn't have to prove anything to anyone'. Well, if he wants to sell 100,000 instead of a few million records, I suppose that's true.

Yes, it's more positive than 2002. No, it's no where close to their prime, and now there's less of a chance of that happening. 2006 was not an amazing success, nor was it a total failure. For what it's worth, Axl completed a tour, worked hard and against the odds gave great performances. For that he gets my applause. That's that.

Edited by SterileEyes