Advice

Guest RonMexico82

Hey I am looking for a bit of advice as regards learning to play electric guitar. I have seen a lot of instructional books and DVDs for sale and was wondering if they are any good or would I be better off just getting lessons from scratch.

I have two guitars a Westbury Deluxe which is about 25 years old and a new Gibson Les Paul Special. Not bad for a guy who can't play a note :rofl-lol: Its a long story.

I have a crappy practice amp at the moment so I was also wondering what would be a decent amp to do the Gibson justice. A friend of mine recommended a Marshall 30DFX.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome. My Gibson is begging me to learn haha.

Thanks.

If you're going to buy instructional books and videos, try and get the most basic ones available. Start at the absolute bottom and work your way up. In my opinion, the best route would be to go with lessons, either from a paid instructor or from a friend that knows how to play. The videos are good to have, but you can't ask a question to a DVD.

I have a crappy practice amp at the moment so I was also wondering what would be a decent amp to do the Gibson justice. A friend of mine recommended a Marshall 30DFX.

Thanks.

ARGH! The DFX amps are horrible. Sure I'd even get a Roland Microcube over one. (Microcubes rock by the way)

take ur guitar to a store, hook it up to as many amps as u can..and pick the amp u think sounds better...make sure u tweak the knobs on the amps for different sounds etc...

if u have a really good ear u can learn without lessons...i just learned from guitar books for the first 3 years

It's nice to have someone around to show u something u have an immediate question for...however there is the internet, which didn't exist when i first started.

Do learn scale basics...it will help u a lot.

don't know if this helps but learn to play different kind of music. practice GnR,Metallica,Johnny Cash etc...even some pop songs...find some easy songs to play...

a friend who plays guitar is handy. find other people who play instruments and communicate with them.

learn some music theory...

and remember that playing guitar is sometimes annoying...you may feel that it sucks...if you do, stop for a while..

don't force youself to play if you don't feel like it....

and buy some instructional book. it is very HANDY.

i have had a few drinks so that text above may not make much sense.

Guest RonMexico82

Thanks everybody...have been looking at a Roland Cube 60 my friend has one, sounds about the best for the money. Another friend recommended this guy Danny Vaughn who is giving lessons. Apparently he has over 20 years experience touring in the US.

Edited by RonMexico82

Guest RonMexico82
Marshall 30DFX is a good amp

and wow.. a les paul? :drevil:

Take one extremely drunk and stoned Irishman and let him loose with a credit card. :rofl-lol: It cost me $600 which is pretty cheap considering that they normally cost $1000 plus. I can spot a bargain even when I'm totally fucked up. :xmasssanta:

Here's a pic of a similar one

gibsonlespaul05.jpg

The finish is done in a way that makes the guitar look old. It actually looks pretty cool the pic doesn't do it justice. Mine is gold in colour.

Edited by RonMexico82