grunge

bumblebucket

alright i know alot of you on this forum think grunge is awsome. and i know i am probly making enemies by saying this but thats alright i have plenty of enemies. so i don't give a flying fuck how pissed off everyone gets. so here it goes.

seems this board has been talking alot about grunge and how great it supposidly was. well let me tell you something it wasn't it sucked. the trend started in 1991 then ended in 1994. simply because it got boring. i was not very exciting music. and alot of people did not get into it. pantera ended up exploding into the early 90's and was very successful dispite the whole grunge movement. and another thing grunge did not destroy everything else in the music industry that is 100% grade A bull fucking shit. grunge ended up taking the spotlight away from pop stars like modanna and micheal jackson. while heavy metal was getting their asses kicked by rap music. guns n roses and pantera were on their own. and in 94 pantera released far beyond driven and saved heavy metal. and before kurt blew his brains out. the pop stars ended up coming back and took the spotlight away from those grunge bands. then kurt commited suicide then grunge went downhill more. pretty soon grunge was dead. that is what really happend. so that proves that grunge was overrated. the media makes it sound like it was something that took over the music industry but it didn't. and in about 10 years grunge will be long forgotten then i wont have to waste my life thinking about the past.

alright i know alot of you on this forum think grunge is awsome. and i know i am probly making enemies by saying this but thats alright i have plenty of enemies. so i don't give a flying fuck how pissed off everyone gets. so here it goes.

seems this board has been talking alot about grunge and how great it supposidly was. well let me tell you something it wasn't it sucked. the trend started in 1991 then ended in 1994. simply because it got boring. i was not very exciting music. and alot of people did not get into it. pantera ended up exploding into the early 90's and was very successful dispite the whole grunge movement. and another thing grunge did not destroy everything else in the music industry that is 100% grade A bull fucking shit. grunge ended up taking the spotlight away from pop stars like modanna and micheal jackson. while heavy metal was getting their asses kicked by rap music. guns n roses and pantera were on their own. and in 94 pantera released far beyond driven and saved heavy metal. and before kurt blew his brains out. the pop stars ended up coming back and took the spotlight away from those grunge bands. then kurt commited suicide then grunge went downhill more. pretty soon grunge was dead. that is what really happend. so that proves that grunge was overrated. the media makes it sound like it was something that took over the music industry but it didn't. and in about 10 years grunge will be long forgotten then i wont have to waste my life thinking about the past.

that was just embaressing

but I agree that grunge suck and is overrated

that was just embaressing

but I agree that grunge suck and is overrated

the only reason i said that was because there is alot of grunge lovers on this forum and i just wanted to let them know i don't care what they think.

You can't say that a whole genre just wasn't worth it or anything. Fact is out of grunge we got some kickass bands like Nirvana, AiC, STP and Pearl Jam. There's shit in every single genre of music. Grunge has its big highs and lows like every other genre.

(I'm not looking for an argument about which of those bands weren't grunge)

this is what happens when you have labels.

nirvana was great. so too was stp. it didnt matter if they were grunge or not. the fact is, they made great music. thats all that matters.

that being said, the grunge sound did have its high back in the 90s. just because it was a flash in the pan doesnt make it less deserving of praise.

No way

Alice in Chains were an amazing band.

Nirvana, I always thought were a little over-rated, but the effect they had on millions of people can't be denied

Pearl Jam, Soundgarden ? Cmon dude, we were blessed to have that period in music

My god how dumb some people are....lemme put this together for you people....

mother love bone-late 80's

soundgarden-83 to 97

nirvana-89 to 94

pj-mother love bone to today

aic-89 to today

Clearly out of the timeline, so the starter needs to shut the fuck up.....

so, what I gotta say is, music tastes are subjective, you don't have to say anything about a particular genreand put it down

for example, lets put in Thrash Metal

Overused virtrouso solos with pointless screaming without depth to the words that lasted a few years before it sucked as grunge came in, and is slowly getting a revival just like grunge, ir it would be if metallica and slayer stopped putting out shitty albums

Edited by Bucketslash

No way

Alice in Chains were an amazing band.

Nirvana, I always thought were a little over-rated, but the effect they had on millions of people can't be denied

Pearl Jam, Soundgarden ? Cmon dude, we were blessed to have that period in music

I agree. It's just because young pelple, who were babies during that era can't get in the spirit of this music.

1991? try 1960/70s With Neil Young, The Godfather of grunge.

1994? Pearl Jam not mean anything anymore? Alice In Chains? Soundgarden? Hole?

Nirvana werent the only grunge band but it seems thats all you know so thats what your basing your lame argument on.

Good Lord what a shit post. Pantera saved heavy metal? No.

Any idiot can make a thread saying anything is overrated, and that's fine.

However, no one can deny that the grunge movement was a very significant chapter in rock music history and it's not the kind of thing that is gonna be forgotten in 10 years, or even 50 years. You don't like it? Whatever, buddy, but making those bold assumptions about its lasting appeal just makes you look like a complete moron. The mere fact that almost everybody - even the bands that got their asses handed to them - has spoken positively about the musical shift at that point indicates that its impact will be indelibly etched in the annals of time.

The only thing that pisses me off about grunge is the army of imitators that it spawned. The four core bands of the movement - Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam - were very honest bands with musical integrity. Then you have the carbon copies like STP, Bush, Silverchair, etc., who pumped out some quality tunes in their own right, but marked a period of down-turn where the whole style was being manipulated and pounced on as a marketing opportunity for the big industry. The new bands looked like Nirvana, sounded like Nirvana, but they had no individuality or soul, which pretty much makes them less genuine, or even poseurs.

You also had a completely original band in The Smashing Pumpkins, who weren't a part of the Seatle Grunge Revolution, but fit the alternative music mold that started to freshen things up. Those five bands were afforded an opportunity to really take the power back and change the direction of everything music-related, but they didn't take full advantage of their cirumstance. It was something they all talked about, but it never materialized. Instead, it was the corporate powers who took advantage of the massive success by exploiting the individuality and soul of those bands by turning the genuine spirit of the movement into a marketable fad. Suddenly, there were knock-offs everywhere you turned and fashion magazines were advertising the "grunge clothing style".

You really have to look at things in a historical context. I find that a lot of people just pass things by on the music alone, and while I understand that not everyone is as obsessed with music as I am, it's kind of naive to assume things about an entire era and its product without taking full account of what was really going on at the time. Yes, in a way, the whole "grunge" label is over-exposed to a sickening degree these days, but that doesn't take away from the fact that these guys were pretty fucking relevant and their presence is still strongly felt today, although it is questionable whether that is a good thing. But that's music, you take the good with the bad. Whenever something genuine comes along, The Man will try to fuck you, and he will win. But every so often, something else comes along, and even though that special something doesn't last forever, it's still something that has heart and soul, and can be remembered.

Soundgarden and Pearl Jam most definitely do not suck (didn't Soundgarden impress the allmighty Axl enough to include them on TSI???) Cornell is one of the great modern vocalists, and Pearl Jam is only trashed for not wanting to be in the spotlight, not having a traditional/wailing screamer of a singer, and being political once in a while. They didn't even promote Vs. and it kicked ass, and they fought Ticketmaster, which took major balls. They are great live and just because Euro's don't tend to like them doesn't mean they aren't good. Euro's don't like football either, but I'm not going to stop watching it.

Eh, doesn't this discussion happen every few weeks here? IMO Grunge or what ever you want to label these bands as, produced two good bands, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. Never found anything too interesting in the rest of the genre or what ever. And I will for ever refuse to recognise Nirvana and Kirk Cocaine as nothing more then the Mc Fly of that era…