VIDEOGAME Thread...

Hey folks. I recently acquired an old Dell + put 4gig (the max) ram into it and got a new video card. This baby is a HOSS now. I just got a subscription to World of Warcraft. It honestly bores the hell out of me. I can't enjoy a game I have to study for. I'm currently searching for the newst, most popular online shooter now. I played the hell out of Soldier of Fortune II a few years ago and half-life. What's the new first-person shooter for '08? Also, where is the best place to order this game from? I'd appreciate any help. I wanna get to blastin on my upgraded PC pronto!

thanks.

Hey folks. I recently acquired an old Dell + put 4gig (the max) ram into it and got a new video card. This baby is a HOSS now. I just got a subscription to World of Warcraft. It honestly bores the hell out of me. I can't enjoy a game I have to study for. I'm currently searching for the newst, most popular online shooter now. I played the hell out of Soldier of Fortune II a few years ago and half-life. What's the new first-person shooter for '08? Also, where is the best place to order this game from? I'd appreciate any help. I wanna get to blastin on my upgraded PC pronto!

thanks.

call of duty 4 has a big online following and its brilliant as a FPS, even single player. its easy to get used to aswell.

Oh my god. Group A in OSL (a major Starcraft progaming league) is probably the most extreme Group of Death I have ever seen. It includes the last winner, July, the winner before that, Flash, the two time winner of MSL (the other big individual progaming tournament), Bisu, as well as Much, who is ranked as the 12th best player on the official ranking at the moment. It will be very intruiging to watch the outcome. It's just impossible to call who will advance.

For you Sony fanboiz, plus just an interesting ready in itself:

Dean Takahashi, one of the most respected tech journos around, spent years putting together this mind-blowing expose that reveals the truly epic scale of the problems that lead to millions of dead Xbox 360s. It really is one of the most stunning flustercucks in gaming history. According to his account, Microsoft willfully ignored deep, systemic problems in the console's production that reached from chipmakers—initially, only 16 out of every 100 of its IBM-made processors worked—to production lines, where just before launch, an unbelievable 68 percent of consoles made were clunkers.

Here are a couple of the more jaw-dropping excerpts:

Most of the problems pointed to as the cause of the epidemic of Red Rings of Death showed up way before launch, naturally:

In an Aug. 30, 2005 memo, the team reported overheating graphics chip, cracking heat sinks, cosmetic issues with the hard disk drive and the front of the box, under-performing graphics memory chips from Infineon (now Qimonda), a problem with the DVD drive, and other things.

The test machines were not properly debugged, due to an ill-advised cost-cutting initiative that shaved $2 million from $25 million paid to Cimtek, a test machine maker in Canada. The Microsoft team decided not to pay the consulting fee to Cimtek to build, manage and debug the test machines. Sources familiar with the matter said there were only about 500 test machines at the time of launch, a third of the 1,500 needed.

“There were so many problems, you didn’t know what was wrong,” said one source of the machines. “The [test engineers] didn’t have enough time to get up and running.”

The shortages at launch were in fact largely a product of the Xbox 360's low yields—in Spring 2006, this was the situation:

Microsoft had more than 500,000 defective consoles that sat in warehouses. They were either duds coming out of the factory or they were returned boxes, according to inside sources. The yield was climbing, but far too slowly. The company stood by its statement that returns were within “normal rates for consumer electronics products.”

At that time, the yield rate was still only "an abysmal 50 percent on the first pass. When the bad machines were reworked within the factory, the yield went up to 75 percent –- hardly acceptable." It's gotten better now, but still not amazing. As of the beginning of 2008, it's still only 85 percent—meaning for every 100 Xbox 360s produced, 15 don't work.

The Falcon revision, which used smaller 65nm chips and had a bunch of other tweaks, like more expensive, better quality heatsinks, alleviated some of the problems, as well as made them cheaper to produce—as many had suspected with their introduction. The latest, the Jasper board, takes that a step further, which Takahashi reports is what allowed them to steeply cut console prices last week.

All of this is just a small cut of Takahashi's dense, extremely well-reported feature. If you own an Xbox 360, you owe it to yourself to read. [Venture Beat]

http://gizmodo.com/5046314/the-shocking-in...ns-of-xbox-360s

I got the Red Ring of Death, and even aside from that, I wish I could have got a PS3. Fuck my brother and Halo.

Edited by AbominableHoman

i was thinking of buying a wii, just for some games like ghost squad (they should remake virtual cop), resident evil, no more heros and trauma centre.

is it possible to hook a wii up to a projector screen? because i think ghost squad would be much better on a huge screen

i was thinking of buying a wii, just for some games like ghost squad (they should remake virtual cop), resident evil, no more heros and trauma centre.

is it possible to hook a wii up to a projector screen? because i think ghost squad would be much better on a huge screen

Ghost Squad is a wicked game! I bought it brand new a few weeks ago for $15 bucks. One of the best games I've played for the Wii.

Don't bother man. You got a 360 or PS3? Just stick to them They don't feel like such a waste of 300 bucks. You'll get bored pretty straight away and then realise that with all the games you've bought that you've just spent 500 bucks on something you'll barely ever play.

IMO

Edited by FunkyMonk

Don't bother man. You got a 360 or PS3? Just stick to them They don't feel like such a waste of 300 bucks. You'll get bored pretty straight away and then realise that with all the games you've bought that you've just spent 500 bucks on something you'll barely ever play.

IMO

but isn't the wii easy to mod and play pirate games on? i hardly play my 360 so i may trade it in, most of its exclusives aren't as great as the hype in my opinion. especially gears of war and halo

I love video game music.

Some of the best music is in the Sonic games.

Nobuo Uematsu is the best video game composer ever.

He's done the music for the Final Fantasy-series (bar XII, and we all know how horrible music it had), Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, the main theme for Super Smash Bros Brawl...

rock4

I'd like to put forward the company whom I think was the greatest ever. Sierra On-Line, Inc (now known as Sierra Entertainment, Inc), founded in 1979, were pioneers of the computer game industry. They released the first PC game with graphics; they issued the first PC game which supported soundcards and thus introduced PC support for soundcards (which is why your computer has speakers, rather than making internal beeping noises). They released the first VGA and SVGA games and one of their games included the first 3D intro. They started off as a garage company created by a husband and wife team, and that same husband and wife team led the company for 18 years (1979-1997), and by the time they had left, the company employed some 1,500 employees around the country and across the world, and was the marketshare leader of PC gaming. They made games an artform. I want to show you an example of what they did for their fans:

http://sierra.gracenroark.net/interaction/...3_Fall_1992.pdf

I'd like to put forward the company whom I think was the greatest ever. Sierra On-Line, Inc (now known as Sierra Entertainment, Inc), founded in 1979, were pioneers of the computer game industry. They released the first PC game with graphics; they issued the first PC game which supported soundcards and thus introduced PC support for soundcards (which is why your computer has speakers, rather than making internal beeping noises). They released the first VGA and SVGA games and one of their games included the first 3D intro. They started off as a garage company created by a husband and wife team, and that same husband and wife team led the company for 18 years (1979-1997), and by the time they had left, the company employed some 1,500 employees around the country and across the world, and was the marketshare leader of PC gaming. They made games an artform. I want to show you an example of what they did for their fans:

http://sierra.gracenroark.net/interaction/...3_Fall_1992.pdf

:rofl-lol:

That was amusing, especially the part about the computer would still make beep bop sounds if it hadn't been for sierra. That is like saying that we wouldn't know that the american continent existed today, if it wasn't for Columbus.

Just becouse they where the first to embrace a new type of technology, doesn't make them pioneres on the subject. The real people who made the computere make real noise, where the people who made the soundcards in the first place. Same with VGA.

You just make something good sound stupid.

Guest Jack_the_ripper
I love video game music.

He's done the music for the Final Fantasy-series (bar XII, and we all know how horrible music it had), Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, the main theme for Super Smash Bros Brawl...

rock4

There's only 1 composer that I do like better than Uematsu. And it's Motoi Sakuraba, the guy who does the Tales music, and he did some of his best work in the game "Baten Kaitos"

I don't know much video game music that has some heavy guitar solos in it.

This is hands down my favorite video game theme ever.

People will perhaps understand why I'm so high on the tales series and baten kaitos after hearing this.

I love video game music.

rock4

There's only 1 composer that I do like better than Uematsu. And it's Motoi Sakuraba, the guy who does the Tales music, and he did some of his best work in the game "Baten Kaitos"

I don't know much video game music that has some heavy guitar solos in it.

This is hands down my favorite video game theme ever.

People will perhaps understand why I'm so high on the tales series and baten kaitos after hearing this.

He's second for me. The Tales games have absolutely amazing music.

Can't wait for Tales Of Vesperia, it's sadly not out in Europe until 2009.