Pink Floyd

frankwhite

i've heard a very limited amount. one album where theres a song that keeps goin all in all ur just another brick in the wall and "momma will i be the president" etc and i didnt think much of it. then i heard this song yesterday called comfortably numb and it just felt like the most generic, boring, designed for highs corniest song i've EVER heard. their output from what limited amounts i've heard is just appallingly crap yet people (on here and off) laud them like they're the shit, whats with that, what am i missing?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're a strange band. I was brought up on a strict diet of Baby Bells, Pineapple juice and Pink Floyd amungst other things. So when I first got into them it was a lot of Nostalgia, remebering fragments of a riff from being really small.

One reason that I think I love them so much is that im a sucker for a good story - and thats exactly what their music is in my opinion. Ever album tells a story from start to finish, with different songs adding different bits. thats why there are no stand out single songs that you can play people to get them into the band - you have to take each song as being very much part of the album that sounds great in the context of the other songs, but weak on its own.

you need a lot of patience to get into them, but its very much worth it in my opinion. its hard to describe. my opinion is wait for what username will say.

I've got the same problem with the Velvet Underground

Same here. I've got The Velvet Underground & Nico....and it is such a snore :sleeper: . It's so lame and soft...and I just don't find much of it at all appealing. Just bland and boring.

i've heard a very limited amount. one album where theres a song that keeps goin all in all ur just another brick in the wall and "momma will i be the president" etc and i didnt think much of it. then i heard this song yesterday called comfortably numb and it just felt like the most generic, boring, designed for highs corniest song i've EVER heard. their output from what limited amounts i've heard is just appallingly crap yet people (on here and off) laud them like they're the shit, whats with that, what am i missing?

I didn't expect this from you, Frank - I always tend to agree with your views on music, but not this time.

I love to listen to Pink Floyd when I'm relaxing.

:shocked:

Like Frank said, one of the best bands ever.

Edited by Lithium

Same here. I've got The Velvet Underground & Nico....and it is such a snore :sleeper: . It's so lame and soft...and I just don't find much of it at all appealing. Just bland and boring.

*gasp* whaaaaaaatttt?????

lame and soft?!?!?! *dies* are we talkin about the same album? tell me, what is soft about waiting for my man? that grinding jangling guitar, the lyrics about being a hurtin junkie? or black angels death song. soft? its fuckin atonal, how is it soft?!?! and there she goes again (y'bettter hit her!) comin out of flower power & the 60s, this atonal cold band were the mirror opposite of soft. venus in furs...u call that soft? its fuckin screeching with bondagey lyrics...like doped poetry. detached and brutal. and heroin, thats noise crescendo...how is this soft? all tommorows parties, its so fucking bleak and hopeless sounding. ur entitled to not like it but soft?!?!! that i do not see.

Are you guys kidding? You can't see whats the big deal with Pink Floyd.

Seriously.. on this board its 1000 threads about how much a creppy band rocks, but a thread about the best

band ever is about you can't understand what's so great about it?

Why don't you try to listen to it? It's amazing. I can't put words on how much I love Pink Floyd.

The Dark Side of The Moon, Animals, Whish You Were Here, The Piper At The Gates of Dawn, Ummgagumma .. EVERYTHING. <3

I thought of writing a really long essay-type answer of Floyd's greatness here, but I'll leave it to Ron. :P

One of my favorite bands of all time, top 3.

The problem with Pink Floyd nowadays is that it isn't that special as it was back then. DSOTM was a revolutionizing album, I mean, it had the first techno song ever. My father says that when it came out, he hadn't heard anything like it before, they're the pioneers of progressive rock, they pretty much wrote the book on it. You can hear the influence in everything nowadays, so if you pop in Wish You Were Here you'll probably find it dull and boring and nowhere near special.

When a band pretty much makes prog rock, one of the cornerstone genres of popmusic, I think that itself should give a band a spot in the greatest bands of all time -list.

I thought of writing a really long essay-type answer of Floyd's greatness here, but I'll leave it to Ron. :P

One of my favorite bands of all time, top 3.

The problem with Pink Floyd nowadays is that it isn't that special as it was back then. DSOTM was a revolutionizing album, I mean, it had the first techno song ever. My father says that when it came out, he hadn't heard anything like it before, they're the pioneers of progressive rock, they pretty much wrote the book on it. You can hear the influence in everything nowadays, so if you pop in Wish You Were Here you'll probably find it dull and boring and nowhere near special.

When a band pretty much makes prog rock, one of the cornerstone genres of popmusic, I think that itself should give a band a spot in the greatest bands of all time -list.

see now i dont really see what was percieved as Prog Rock as being all that progressive. just self indulgent and...bloated with no punch/direction. the no wave scene, art-punk was a lot more progressive to my mind than ELP, Pink Floyd etc (from what i've heard). Reggae as a genre was HUGELY progressive, more so than any prog' rock i ever heard.i quite like Kraftwerk and Can but that just mind be Johnny Rotten residue on my part :)

Edited by frankwhite

Guest knerken

Pink Floyd is by far one of the most overrated bands in history. They are OK, but nowhere near how good people say they are.

I have never liked prog-rock. Bands like Yes, Rush, Zappa and Pink Floyd bore me.

I've never really gotten into them, I've heard the most famous songs: Money, Comfortably Numb, Another Brick In The Wall and they are decent, but not like the best ever, a little boring but still good. Although I've decided to listen through Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall and give them a chance.

The Gilmour-led era was not as great as the two previous ones, but it wasn't bad either. The Barret-led and Waters-led eras were definitely the greatest and few bands match their quality. Everything abou them is great, I seriously don't understand how anyone can say they're boring. The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, they're all part of the 20-30 best albums of all time.

Pink Floyd are decent.They have a huge variety of music so there are masterpieces and there is some crap aswell.

Still the masterpieces are such huge masterpieces that they make up for the "crap" as you call it. So they're far more than "decent", Pink Floyd's just freakin' awesome.

Pink Floyd is by far one of the most overrated bands in history. They are OK, but nowhere near how good people say they are.

I have never liked prog-rock. Bands like Yes, Rush, Zappa and Pink Floyd bore me.

How in the shit can Rush and Yes bore you? Both probably have some of the best prog-rock imaginable. I can see how the long songs may drone on for some people, but I really don't see how they get boring.

Oh well, that's you then. Personally, I find Yes to be one of the most interesting bands I've ever discovered. Close to the Edge has it all.

As for Pink Floyd, I don't think they're overrated, but I do believe that there are much better artists out there.

I love Pink Floyd but I see why somebody would be bored by them, they waste a lot of time on their albums. The best example I can think of right now is Time, awsome song but the intro is so boring and unessesarily long.

You didnt like Comfortably Numb? Yeah, its about as basic as it gets but you gotta love the bass line and guitar solos, those are among some of the greatest guitar solos of all time.

It's not my favourite band either, some of their songs are similar and boring but some others are just perfect. And comfortably numb, wish you were here and the wall are some of their best.

''The child is grown, the dream is gone.

I have become comfortably numb.''

I love this song and when I saw them playing it again all together after so many years at the live 8 I got very touched.

Edited by gina9

Pink Floyd are decent.They have a huge variety of music so there are masterpieces and there is some crap aswell.

Still the masterpieces are such huge masterpieces that they make up for the "crap" as you call it. So they're far more than "decent", Pink Floyd's just freakin' awesome.

I have to remember that the next time that I have to listen to the second CD of Ummagumma :)