Pearl Jam - Ten

Moop

Okay, well... I've heard a lot of people going on how great the album, Ten, is by Pearl Jam. So I'm up for trying out new music so I went out and bought it, expecting it to be pretty good at least. But wow, I've listened to it quite a few times and don't really like it at all. It's not bad or anything... just very mediocre. Are there supposed to be better PJ albums or is this their best? Or do I just not get it or something?

Like DF, I got off PJ, mainly when they got all sidetracked many years ago with taking on Ticketmaster, politics, etc. and the music seemed to take a distant backseat. Became way too self-important for my liking. But "Ten" is a killer album, a definite classic.

Got some great material on other albums, but much more hit 'n miss, IMO. Ten by far the band's best complete album...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Ten and Appetite are the only albums in the world that I could give a 10/10

It's absolutely breath taking, I went 3 months listening to it every day without getting over it. From straight out rock like Alive, Why Go and Even Flow, to Heart wrenching ballads like Release and Black and the weird and the wonderful tracks like Once and Oceans. I'm sure you'll grow to love it in time, and if you don't, you're missing out.

Pearl Jam's my favourite band right now (going to see 'em in 5 days :D ), but I prefer Vs. Ten is a fuckin great album, but somehow it takes me always a few listens to get into it, when I browse through the albums. That's not the case with the others.

After listening to this album again today for quite a few times I just have to say that "Release" is one of the very best songs ever written. So simple, yet so beautiful.

This is actually the one song on here that I've never been crazy about - I find it a little dull - the rest I love with the exception of Deep, which is ok.

After listening to this album again today for quite a few times I just have to say that "Release" is one of the very best songs ever written. So simple, yet so beautiful.

This is actually the one song on here that I've never been crazy about - I find it a little dull - the rest I love with the exception of Deep, which is ok.

I get shivers when Eddie belts out "I'll wait up in the dark, for you to speak to me"

best album to come out of that genre.

Second best. Superunknown.

Ten shits on Superunknown on about every level, lyrically, vocally and instrumentally Ten is perfect. Soundgarden's music is so stark and boring, where as Ten is devinely diverse and has so many different sounds. The way Eddie just used his voice (Alive mid Solo, Porch Outtro, Jeremy Outtro), that is a vocal feat that has never been paralleled and probably never will...Unless that weird European guy (forget his name - does all those high notes) joins a rock group :confused:

Fuck thanks to whoever made this topic, I'm listening to this album for the first time in months. TEN FUCKING RULES! rock4

Edited by pain cake

I think Pearl Jam are one of the worse bands to .......

KIDDING! Sorry had a Lithium flashback there for a minute.

I like the album that has Daughter , I think it's the first , I think TEN is their 2nd

and I have always thought Alive was pretty annoying IMO.

Try the 1st album , I think it's their best and agree with you on the Ten.

I like the album that has Daughter , I think it's the first , I think TEN is their 2nd

and I have always thought Alive was pretty annoying IMO.

Try the 1st album , I think it's their best and agree with you on the Ten.

:question:

"Ten" IS the first album. "Daughter" is on "Vs", which is their second.

Why do you keep bringing me up everytime you post?

Ten is a great album, you can't deny the awesomeness of such songs as "Black" or "Release", but in my opinion, Ten doesn't even come close to Alice in Chains' Facelift, Dirt or Nirvana's Bleach.

I like Dirt better than either Ten or Superunknown personally, but Ten is definitely one of the best albums of the 90's and of the grunge scene.

That said, how can anyone say Superunknown is boring? The gorgeous musical textures, the masterful guitar work, the crazy time signatures, the howling vocals of Chris Cornell in his prime...I'll be honest I didn't really like Soundgarden when I first heard stuff like Spoonman on the radio...I mean it's a neat song but I thought meh. Then I heard Jesus Christ Pose, and listened to Badmotorfinger in it's entirety along with Superunknown on my dad's killer stereo setup, and now I can say "get it," in regards to Soundgarden :).

Edited by Ant