Slash no longer my favorite guitarist

DCGNR

Was gonna post in VR section, but I think this goes here too

Slash is no longer my #1 guitartist I enjoy listening to. His GNR work, yes. Some of his Contraband stuff yes, but this Fucking LIbertad pisses me off more and more as I listen to it. How can this be the same guy I grew up listening to. He does not even make his presence felt on it.

Never thought I'd say this, but nowadays, but when I want to hear some beautiful guitar work and just get lost in an album of good riffs and great playing, I am

throwing in The Chili Peppers Stadium Arcadium and listening to Frusciante just play and play.

Never thought I'd see a day where The Peppers make a better guitar-oriented album than my man Slash, but it has arrived.

Was gonna post in VR section, but I think this goes here too

Slash is no longer my #1 guitartist I enjoy listening to. His GNR work, yes. Some of his Contraband stuff yes, but this Fucking LIbertad pisses me off more and more as I listen to it. How can this be the same guy I grew up listening to. He does not even make his presence felt on it.

Never thought I'd say this, but nowadays, but when I want to hear some beautiful guitar work and just get lost in an album of good riffs and great playing, I am

throwing in The Chili Peppers Stadium Arcadium and listening to Frusciante just play and play.

Never thought I'd see a day where The Peppers make a better guitar-oriented album than my man Slash, but it has arrived.

The prospect of hearing some more great Slash solos was the only reason I even bought Libertad. I was definitely disappointed when I heard it. I can say that I think the songwriting is more consistent than Contraband-it's growing on me and I fully expected it to suck.

I wouldn't say Frusciante is my favorite guitarist out there, but he's definitely in the top 5.

The fact is though, we all know Slash can fire out a wanky guitar solo and killer riffs... why should he have to do it all the time?

While Libertad may seem quite subduied compaired to his other work, you can guarantee that the live performances will not be carbon copies of the album, he always adds a little something. Pretty much all of his live solos and guitar work are better than whats on the cds.

You cannot argue that Frusciante's guitar playing is mind-blowing. His work on Stadium Arcadium is incredible and especially his solo stuff.

Slash is a great Rock guitarist but John Frusciante is a better guitar player.

The second half of his first solo album alone is better than anything Slash has done.

You cannot argue that Frusciante's guitar playing is mind-blowing. His work on Stadium Arcadium is incredible and especially his solo stuff.

The second half of his first solo album alone is better than anything Slash has done.

The only thing that Slash has over Frusciante is guitar solos. But if you really think that JF is your new favorite guitar player, you shoul dnot blame that on Slash putting out a record that's not up to your standards. It should be because JF impressed you that much more. I love JF's playing. It's a toss up for me on who's my favorite.

Edited by da_illest_in_402

Frusciante's awesome, for sure...but remind me again how that takes anything away from Slash? Just weird how some people here can only like 1 band...or 1 guitarist. :xmassrudolph:

BTW, does anybody else think Robin directly copies Frusciante's look, expressions and some of his moves?

Edited by Turn_It_Up

The only thing that Slash has over Frusciante is guitar solos. But if you really think that JF is your new favorite guitar player, you shoul dnot blame that on Slash putting out a record that's not up to your standards. It should be because JF impressed you that much more. I love JF's playing. It's a toss up for me on who's my favorite.

It wasn't a cause-and-effect thing my friend. What I was saying was that in recent years, Slash has slid down the mountain some, and Frusciante has slid up.

That is all that I meant

Perhaps it comes with age. You lose your creativity when you get older?? When was the last time Eddie or Jimmy wrote something monstrous?? :huh:

Now that , is a very good point. I always wondered, how on God's green earth, Jimmy Page could belt out about 50 of the most classic rock riffs in history over a period of 10 years, and then basically nothing besides that Coverdale/Page riff from the early 90's.

Or......could it be.........the lack of heavy drug use that causes an actual DECREASE in musical creativity?

Perhaps it comes with age. You lose your creativity when you get older?? When was the last time Eddie or Jimmy wrote something monstrous?? :huh:

Now that , is a very good point. I always wondered, how on God's green earth, Jimmy Page could belt out about 50 of the most classic rock riffs in history over a period of 10 years, and then basically nothing besides that Coverdale/Page riff from the early 90's.

Or......could it be.........the lack of heavy drug use that causes an actual DECREASE in musical creativity?

If you follow John Frusciante's career, you know that he is spiritually involved in his guitar playing. He's a word dude. But it will be interesting to see if those "lifeforms" that are in his head when he plays guitar are still around when he's in his 40's.

Not denying anyone's guitar skills,but...Stadium Arcadium bores the shit out of me.

Slash's playing still makes me want to crack open a beer and have fun.

Edited by zint61

Not denying anyone's guitar skills,but...Stadium Arcadium bores the shit out of me.

Slash's playing still makes me want a crack open a beer and have fun.

Stadium Arcadium is the best album to come out in many years and is one of my, if not, THE favorite album.

Zint, let me ask you the same question that you have asked me, have you seen the Peppers live?? If not, I highly recommend them....even though they are almost done touring and probably won't be back to this continent. You can at least check out the Live at Slane Castle dvd.

Edited by da_illest_in_402

Stadium Arcadium is the best album to come out in many years and is one of my, if not, THE favorite album.

Zint, let me ask you the same question that you have asked me, have you seen the Peppers live?? If not, I highly recommend them....even though they are almost done touring and probably won't be back to this continent. You can at least check out the Live at Slane Castle dvd.

No I haven't,however,when I asked you if you'd seen VR live,I meant this year.The reason I asked you that was.. you were commenting about the band's lack of chemistry...it's improved ten fold since 04.They really gel now and it shows live...immensely.

I'm sure the energy is massive at a live Peppers show,no denying that.

I was just commenting on the Stadium Arcadium vs Slash scenario.

I'll take Slash any day of the week.

Slash's playing used to do this for me, but outside of a few solos and that Slither Riff, I find these moments few and far between.

Believe me, it hurts to admit all of this, but I had to be honest.

Slash's playing used to do this for me, but outside of a few solos and that Slither Riff, I find these moments few and far between.

Believe me, it hurts to admit all of this, but I had to be honest.

Hmmm........i never felt like cracking a beer or partying when hearing Slash's solo's. I was more into the emotions that came out of his guitar during the solos.

definately, frusciante just kicks ass at the moment. stadium arcadium is one of their finest achievement to date comparable to the illusions.

having said that, i dont have a favourrite guitarist. if anyone plays a mean tune with a guitar ill give them props for it regardless of who they are.

I guess I need to bust out my stadium arcadium again. When I put it away, I was left with the feeling, they should have narrowed the material down to one album, and there weren't too many standout songs. You guys praise it so highly though, so I will give it another chance, by all means it wasn't bad...just tad on the dissapointing side.

I love libertad, so I have no complaints with anything on that album, I also think there is some damn fine guitar playing on it as well.

I love Chili Peppers, I really do....but Stadium Arcadium was just shit. Frusciante was admitably awesome on it, and his solos were really nice, but they couldn't save the shitty songs on it. Therefor, I can never listen to it because I will most likely fall asleep.

ummm not at all

Frusciante's awesome, for sure...but remind me again how that takes anything away from Slash? Just weird how some people here can only like 1 band...or 1 guitarist. :xmassrudolph:

BTW, does anybody else think Robin directly copies Frusciante's look, espressions and some of his moves?

ummmm no

and again: no

BTW, does anybody else think Robin directly copies Frusciante's look, espressions and some of his moves?

hmm...

I can sorta see it, they both go for that dirty hippy, feet one meter apart stance, with the low slung guitar and really spastic playing style with lots of "dissonant" notes...

hmm...

I can sorta see it, they both go for that dirty hippy, feet one meter apart stance, with the low slung guitar and really spastic playing style with lots of "dissonant" notes...

Exactly, just check out this smokin' hot performance by Frusciante snd you'll see what we're talkin' about:

BTW, any RHCP fans who don't have the Slane Castle DVD are missing out huge. Is there a drummer more cool to watch than Chad Smith(aka, Will Ferrell)? Dude's unreal how hard he pounds the skins....

Edited by Turn_It_Up