Recycled music...

*ParadiseCityGirl*

I was in the car with my sister yesterday and she was in control of the radio (booooo) so of course she's listening to her mainstream r&b/ hip hop shit and two songs in a row...were each renditions of older rock songs.

First there's Sean Kingston (he sings that annoying Beautiful Girl song that's on the radio every 5 and a half seconds) and I wasn't really listening until the chorus..."oh oh oh oh oh ohhh, you don't have to go- oh...." and i'm like THATS ZEPPELIN wtf! I got kindof pissed off, not exactly sure why.

Then the next song that came on was this crazy mix of Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama and Nelly's Country Grammar. I have to admit it sounded pretty cool.

Anyway...does it bother you that mainstream rap artists take other music and re-do it?

On one hand I think it can open up these narrow-minded teens to other great areas of music....but on the other hand I think it's just sad to hear such amazing music being dimmed down to such a meaningless state. And plus, whenever a song like that comes out on the radio, sure people listen to it and love it, but a matter of weeks later it's forgotten. Just like that Lil' Jon/ Eastside Boyz "Crazy Train" song....It was interesting but I strongly doubt that one paid any justice to Ozzy Osbourne.

Sorry this post is so scatter-brained but I felt the need to vent :tongue2:

I was in the car with my sister yesterday and she was in control of the radio (booooo) so of course she's listening to her mainstream r&b/ hip hop shit and two songs in a row...were each renditions of older rock songs.

First there's Sean Kingston (he sings that annoying Beautiful Girl song that's on the radio every 5 and a half seconds) and I wasn't really listening until the chorus..."oh oh oh oh oh ohhh, you don't have to go- oh...." and i'm like THATS ZEPPELIN wtf! I got kindof pissed off, not exactly sure why.

Then the next song that came on was this crazy mix of Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama and Nelly's Country Grammar. I have to admit it sounded pretty cool.

Anyway...does it bother you that mainstream rap artists take other music and re-do it?

On one hand I think it can open up these narrow-minded teens to other great areas of music....but on the other hand I think it's just sad to hear such amazing music being dimmed down to such a meaningless state. And plus, whenever a song like that comes out on the radio, sure people listen to it and love it, but a matter of weeks later it's forgotten. Just like that Lil' Jon/ Eastside Boyz "Crazy Train" song....It was interesting but I strongly doubt that one paid any justice to Ozzy Osbourne.

thats basically how hip hop began, mixing two tracks, making something new out of the old, i think its incredible as long as you dont like just butcher it and dont add anything of your own on it, its fucking cool, go for it!!! i dont like how people like Puffy just kind of engage in forgery but people like Flash and shit, they do it really well, put their own stamp over it, hip hop is really the first post modernist genre of music though its moved away from that in some respects its still well rooted in it in other aspects.

i love how you say the hip hop kids are narrow minded when it seems to be them embracing 2 (or at least effectively 1 and a half genres by virtue of the mixing) and theres you just propagating your own shit. maybe both sides are narrow minded?

Edited by ffrankwhite

i love how you say the hip hop kids are narrow minded when it seems to be them embracing 2 (or at least effectively 1 and a half genres by virtue of the mixing) and theres you just propagating your own shit. maybe both sides are narrow minded?

I guess that does make sense... :unsure:

I knew when I was making this post i'd accidently leave out some points and word things wrong...but you guys get the main thing i'm trying to get at here hopefully?

I hate that Gym Class Heroes use the "Take A Look At My Girlfriend" part in their Cupid In A Chokehold or whatever it is, I've seen lots of people going "they're excellent lyrics"

and I'm like DUDE IT'S SUPERTRAMP!!

No fucker in my whole goddamn shit hole town seems to know its a cover :anger:

I loved the original; now its ruined!

xDSGx

I hate that Gym Class Heroes use the "Take A Look At My Girlfriend" part in their Cupid In A Chokehold or whatever it is, I've seen lots of people going "they're excellent lyrics"

xDSGx

i didnt :confused: but i mean is authorship really the issue? music is music, you should be happy however its spread. i mean sure, artists deserve their dues but believe me, they're getting them in the greens, im sure they're happy. they're accredited...you cant fault people for not caring to know though.

Edited by ffrankwhite

All music is recycled. It does not matter if hip hop artists do it "all the time" :rolleyes: you see techno dudes do it all the time as well but they don't take as much heat as hip hop does. i prefer the lost art of turntablism though.

All music is recycled. It does not matter if hip hop artists do it "all the time" :rolleyes: you see techno dudes do it all the time as well but they don't take as much heat as hip hop does. i prefer the lost art of turntablism though.

yyyeeeeaaaaahhhhh!!!! man after my own fucking heart, bring that shit back!!! and hey a lot of that House music, Hardcore, Rave and shit, i really dig it, its kind of the bridge between hip hop and disco and no wave kinda art punk. people underestimate dance music and its importance to musics history. i mean, before all pop music got hip hoppised, it was all kinda dance inflected, that kinda music gets more credit in england although House music came out of chicago as is generally the case with music, we need england to show us how to do it right. cept when it came to hip hop, then we got to schooling em.

Just like that Lil' Jon/ Eastside Boyz "Crazy Train" song....It was interesting but I strongly doubt that one paid any justice to Ozzy Osbourne.

Lil' Jon sang the chorus..but, it was a Trick Daddy song..

just had to point that out.. :P

it was funny when that song was popular..it seemed like I was the only one who knew that that bass line was from crazy train.. :lol::huh:

I'm actually "against" covers, remixes and whatnot most of the time. There is pretty much only one reason to release an official cover of whatever genre (unlike, say, just playing it drunkenly with your mates in a bar, which I endorse :tongue2: ), and that is if you think you can interpret the song in a way that arguably adds to it. Otherwise, leave other people's work alone! :(

I'm actually "against" covers, remixes and whatnot most of the time. There is pretty much only one reason to release an official cover of whatever genre (unlike, say, just playing it drunkenly with your mates in a bar, which I endorse :tongue2: ), and that is if you think you can interpret the song in a way that arguably adds to it. Otherwise, leave other people's work alone! :(

you cant really toe those kinds of lines, there aint enough notes/chords/scales to music for it not repeat itself. wholesale forgery is wrong but other than that, why be such a snob? theres nothing i like more than to see a stape of classic music absolute mangled and desicrated. like when Devo did the stones satisfaction :) fuck em, fuck em good, destroy em thats what i say, life too short to make so much shit holy all the time :lol:

xDSGx

Ditto.

Cupids Chokehold and The Logical Song were both Supertramp ripoffs.

Eminem reused a Led Zep song I think it mightve been Lose Yourself. And he used Dream On for Sing for The Moment.

And of course the Faith Evans/Diddy version of Every Breathe You Take. But that was good so Ill let them off.

And Nelly doing a song (from the sweat/suit album cant remember the title) that used Spandau Ballet parts.

Edited by markyboy101

If these so called artists are sooo talented...let see them shine on their own.

There should be no need for them to dip into other cookie jars if they are oozing with such raw talent.

It makes them look unqualified,uninspired and lacking in originality.

There should be no need for them to dip into other cookie jars if they are oozing with such raw talent.

yeah but their take on it is original. everything is derived from something and shouldnt let things like that get in the way of making a 4 or so minute long piece of music that is good. at lot of early rock n roll sounds VERY similar, same with Blues, same with every genre, the same chords progressions are used in countless songs that are only reinterpreted through rhythmic difference, its not forgery or a rip off, its re-interpretation. by that rationale playing rock n roll in this day and age at all is lacking in originality, that music is hugely aged but a lot of the rock intelligensia look down on genres like techno and dub reggae and stuff even though they are HUGELY original. i dont think the shit should be taken that seriously. if you can make somethin from something, make it sound good to my ears then go for it.

yeah but their take on it is original. everything is derived from something and shouldnt let things like that get in the way of making a 4 or so minute long piece of music that is good. at lot of early rock n roll sounds VERY similar, same with Blues, same with every genre, the same chords progressions are used in countless songs that are only reinterpreted through rhythmic difference, its not forgery or a rip off, its re-interpretation. by that rationale playing rock n roll in this day and age at all is lacking in originality, that music is hugely aged but a lot of the rock intelligensia look down on genres like techno and dub reggae and stuff even though they are HUGELY original. i dont think the shit should be taken that seriously. if you can make somethin from something, make it sound good to my ears then go for it.

Of course their's simliarities and same chord progressions in every genre...Ramones a fine example of that.

At least the Ramones took the same three chords and rearranged them and managed to come with up new songs...they didn't sample Summertime Blues and write new lyrics over it.

Do your own shit...prove yourself.

Of course their's simliarities and same chord progressions in every genre...Ramones a fine example of that.

At least the Ramones took the same three chords and rearranged them and managed to come with up new songs...they didn't sample Summertime Blues and write new lyrics over it.

Ok, how about we give you a pair of decks and some vinyl and you make something original out of something old.

I've no time for this 'real music' bullshit. They used to say the same about rock and roll.

just as taking the same 3 chords and rearranging them gives so new songs, so does this sampling sections of multiple songs and rearranging them gives you new songs dude. that is your shit, the rearranged order in which you've now put them, the talent it takes to mix them, the reinterpretation that you apply is directly akin to what the ramones did.

AND you don't have to put up with blisters and calluses on your fingers or any wrist injuries from the repetitive stress of actually having to play the chords and the riffs. Just mix and master it once and you're done. Probably comes off a lot more flawless in concert too, since you don't have to actually play it.