Colbert to replace Letterman.

Damn_Smooth

I remember hearing a few years ago that is was heavily rumoured that Craig Ferguson would be taking over when letterman decides to retire. Guess something fell through. Personally, I love Ferguson's show.

Ferguson is great, but he's not for everyone. After the debacle of Pierce Morgan on CNN, I think America has likely had enough of British Late Night talk show hosts. Colbert is the triple threat: he can act, sing, and do comedy (very well).

I really don't think there was a better choice out there. Some were suggesting Chelsea Handler, but I think CBS gives up a lot of its male audience if it went with her (no offence, but men, myself included, generally don't find women funny - though i say this knowing there are notable exceptions).

If you watch what Fallon is doing on the Tonight Show, you can see where the format is going. It has to be more versatile. Hosts have to be willing to take more chances. Leno and Letterman have been playing it safe for decades. That's fine for an older audience, but if the networks are going to appeal to a younger generation that isn't familiar with the late night tradition started with Johnny Carson, they're going to shed off more viewers than they already have.

I wouldn't be surprised if Colbert is the ratings champ in a year or two after his launch.

Edited by downzy
  • Like 1

Chelsea Handler makes me want to cut my dick off and hang myself with it.

I've tried to watch her show, but it reminds me of every time I overhear girlfriends talking about how many guys they've fucked.

That said, I did enjoy her take down of Pierce Morgan to his face a few weeks ago. She gets credit for that.

• Like 1

Chelsea Handler makes me want to cut my dick off and hang myself with it.

I've tried to watch her show, but it reminds me of every time I overhear girlfriends talking about how many guys they've fucked.

I totally see what you mean, but I do think she's like, the second funniest woman. Ellen takes 1st place.

Yeah, there's no way he could keep up the schtick and hope to compete in the ratings. The Colbert Report is meant to be watched by the converted. He'll have to appeal to a much broader audience, something Fallon has been doing a very good job at.