Neckties, yay or nay?

arnold layne

And now that the weather is cooling down, I might give this look a go myself.

108ahyv.jpg

this look is pure anti-sex and tie is the least of her problems :lol:

Agreed, that looks awful. She probably has the body of a 12 year old boy too.

Edited by Lithium

And now that the weather is cooling down, I might give this look a go myself.108ahyv.jpg

That's why I like it. I don't see why women have to dress all girly all the time? I love the fact that there is traditional 'conservatism' in the specific clothes themselves, but the fact that its being worn by a female makes it the opposite. I love that, the I love the contrast, the unexpectedness of it, the challenge to traditional ideals of beauty.

Tradition bores the crap out of me. Probably why I can't stand the tie and suit look unless there's something original about it, or cheeky or unique about it. :shrugs:

That's why I like it. I don't see why women have to dress all girly all the time? I love the fact that there is traditional 'conservatism' in the specific clothes themselves, but the fact that its being worn by a female makes it the opposite. I love that, the I love the contrast, the unexpectedness of it, the challenge to traditional ideals of beauty.

Tradition bores the crap out of me. Probably why I can't stand the tie and suit look unless there's something original about it, or cheeky or unique about it. :shrugs:

I actually like the way women look in "women's" suits.

I understand you're a designer....but I just think the girl in that pic just doesn't match....4 different colors....with the corduroy jacket...not my style....but to each, their own.

Something along these lines is a lot easier on the eyes, imo....

article-1168548-045AF39D000005DC-226_233

Or slightly more casual....

212443307391978218_5PhqD6p5_c1.jpg

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

yes i was talking about the clothes, the girl would probably look great in a proper dress

I don't think clothes can define a persons gender, these forms and modes of dress that we equate to whatever thing like masculinity or effeminacy or authority or vagrancy, they're a result of conditioning and not a lot besides, i don't think you need to necessarily be obvious or garish in your accentuation of femininity or masculinity, it's there already and it's a lot more powerful than anything a jacket or pants can have that great an effect upon.

That kinda clothing accentuates her femininity to me even as it is, only it does it by way of contrast instead of the aforementioned accentuation by way of the archetypal form of dress would.

Glad someone with a brain around here gets it. :thumbsup:

And yes, I agree that a persons gender cannot be defined by modes of dress and the traditional ideals that are carried with them. Last time I had my hair cut, just before my appointment the hairdresser calls me while I was walking my dog along the beach to say that my usual hairdresser wasn't available today and would he mind if he cut my hair instead, or I could reschedule. I said no, it's fine and that I'm sure he would do a great job and that I would see him in an hour. At the end of the convo I also said my hair is pretty easy to cut, the style is like a boy's cut. I hung up the call and there was a woman standing about 15 metres away who heard what I said and she called out to me "you sooo don't look like a boy!". I laughed and said thanks and she said "no really, you don't".

So yes Len, masculinity and femininity are not defined by the way we adorn ourselves. And I think we are really lucky that we live in a time where we are not expected to conform to any particular ideal of what is masculine and what is feminine.

Going to go tie shopping today. I saw a gorgeous knitted tie in town last week. :awesomeface:

I actually like the way women look in "women's" suits.

I understand you're a designer....but I just think the girl in that pic just doesn't match....4 different colors....with the corduroy jacket...not my style....but to each, their own.

Something along these lines is a lot easier on the eyes, imo....

article-1168548-045AF39D000005DC-226_233

I hear what you're saying. I actually love the look on that pic I posted for the reasons you say you don't like it. :lol: I love the look of each individual item of clothing being a different colour to all the others, I love to combine so called 'clashing' colours or unexpected colour combinations. Something that makes one look twice and which isn't normally worn. Again, non traditional.

The thing with women's suits is that they MUST be tailored properly to their shape. A masculine cut on a woman's body just looks awful. And I think the corduroy jacket fits her shape really well. As does the black suit in the pic you posted, except her trousers are too short for the shoes she's wearing. :P

Edited by Redhead74

I hear what you're saying. I actually love the look on that pic I posted for the reasons you say you don't like it. :lol: I love the look of each individual item of clothing being a different colour to all the others, I love to combine so called 'clashing' colours or unexpected colour combinations. Something that makes one look twice and which isn't normally worn. Again, non traditional.

The thing with women's suits is that they MUST be tailored properly to their shape. A masculine cut on a woman's body just looks awful. And I think the corduroy jacket fits her shape really well. As does the black suit in the pic you posted, except her trousers are too short for the shoes she's wearing. :P

I'm sure the right woman could wear it well....just a little different looking at first....

As for the trousers....I've always liked that "bell bottom" or "floods" look on a woman....something about it is very attractive. :shrugs:

I'm sure the right woman could wear it well....just a little different looking at first....

As for the trousers....I've always liked that "bell bottom" or "floods" look on a woman....something about it is very attractive. :shrugs:

I like that look in trousers too, but I'm very fussy about how long they need to be if you're going to wear heels with them. In fact, they always look best with heels but the hem of the trousers need to be just above the ground but mostly covering the shoe. Makes your legs look longer. ;)

• Like 1

And now that the weather is cooling down, I might give this look a go myself.108ahyv.jpg

funny thing. i read your post and im all for it, the contrast, the unexpectedness, the challenge. but then i look at the image and it's so grotesque i just can't help myself :shrugs:

but i know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, im just more or less conservative in terms of fashion

this one looks great

Edited by netcat

Guest Len B'stard

I think high fashion has a duty to be challenging, everyone always looks and goes 'oh nobody could wear that off the catwalk and they just do that on purpose just to be weird' but thats the fuckin' point, its supposed to be challenging, its leading the way, you cant look at it and go 'but this cardy from Bon Marche is so much more practical!' :lol:

One aint better than the other, its just like music, you got your challenging forward thinking stuff thats gonna have a bearing on the sounds 20 years from now...then you got your Bon Marche music :lol:

They serve a different purpose. Clothes are an art in the same way painting or music or whatever other thing is, its a means of human expression (as well as a way to keep your nipples warm, yes :lol:)

Whether you like it or not every last one of you is saying something with the clothes they wear...wilfully.

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1

funny thing. i read your post and im all for it, the contrast, the unexpectedness, the challenge. but then i look at the image and it's so grotesque i just can't help myself :shrugs:

but i know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, im just more or less conservative in terms of fashion

I understand where you're coming from. It's actually incredibly difficult to remove preconceived ideas of beauty from your mind unless there's a reason for you to do so, or a particular experience does it for you. I work with aesthetics day in, day out and so I question everything and also tend to get incredibly bored by the same image, the same ideal all the time. Don't get me wrong, I love a dress, a good pair of legs and a great pair of high heels, but I also have days where that expectation of feminine beauty needs to be challenged and another form of expression is more appropriate for the mood I'm in at that point in time. :)

this one looks great

She does look great, I love the colour combinations especially. But she's still very feminine, just with a tie added. It's not adventurous enough for me. :P

I think high fashion has a duty to be challenging, everyone always looks and goes 'oh nobody could wear that off the catwalk and they just do that on purpose just to be weird' but thats the fuckin' point, its supposed to be challenging, its leading the way, you cant look at it and go 'but this cardy from Bon Marche is so much more practical!' :lol:

One aint better than the other, its just like music, you got your challenging forward thinking stuff thats gonna have a bearing on the sounds 20 years from now...then you got your Bon Marche music :lol:

They serve a different purpose. Clothes are an art in the same way painting or music or whatever other thing is, its a means of human expression (as well as a way to keep your nipples warm, yes :lol:)

Whether you like it or not every last one of you is saying something with the clothes they wear...wilfully.

Why the fuck do I bother typing a response to anything when Len does it so much more succinctly and always a few minutes before I do? :lol:

• Like 1

Agree 100%, Len My wardrobe is blacks, greys, navys but always with a burst of colour in a scarf, hat, or pin or something. It is me- conservative with bursts of WOW. And it is how I put myself out there to be seen as professional but not too serious.

Edited by Orsys

Guest Len B'stard

I wasn't talking about that my dear, it was a general comment regarding comments that were made in previous clothing threads a number of time. But even in that case of that ensemble its at any rate something of a departure from commonly accepted standards.

Its interesting you made the anti-sex comment also. Do you feel it is an important function of clothing to project a level of sexuality? And if clothes dont is that a bad thing? And if so why is it a bad thing?

• Like 1

sorry guys, i just didn't realize this is high fashion :P

There's actually no such thing as 'high' fashion. There are trends and they appeal to certain people for various reasons, but in terms of what is SO 'in' right now is total bullshit. That is completely subjective. I'm someone who wears things for a reason, not just to keep warm. The great thing about the time we live in is that we (all of us) can wear whatever we want. People will have opinions, sure, but there really are no limits. :)

The true definition of 'high fashion' is the French version: haute couture. It's an industry that is on its last legs. It's facing a long, slow, but undeniable death because the world is now different, so different that this industry is unsustainable. Globalisation has played a part but also the fact that there is greater equilibrium between rich and poor than was the reality 60 or more years ago.

I wasn't talking about that my dear, it was a general comment regarding comments that were made in previous clothing threads a number of time. But even in that case of that ensemble its at any rate something of a departure from commonly accepted standards.

Its interesting you made the anti-sex comment also. Do you feel it is an important function of clothing to project a level of sexuality? And if clothes dont is that a bad thing? And if so why is it a bad thing?

:wub:

No, but i do feel that if someone's goal was to create a signature look of androgynous hipster Ziggy Stardust, then trying to dress like the girl in a picture above would be moving in the right direction.

i mean, how many people out there intentionally dress to look unattractive?

Guest Len B'stard

No, but i do feel that if someone's goal was to create a signature look of androgynous hipster Ziggy Stardust, then trying to dress like the girl in a picture above would be moving in the right direction.

i mean, how many people out there intentionally dress to look unattractive?

See, you say no but then you make reference to androgyny again...coupled with a reference to being unattractive. Your assesment is tied intrinsically to sexuality.

Tell me, in your estimation, is a beautiful women still beautiful when dressed in a way in which the primary function of the clothing at hand is not the accentuating of her sexuality?

That girl couldn't be unattractive if she tried, she's beautiful, she has amazing eyes and face shape and cheekbones and gorgeous hair, she's slim and statuesque, I can't fathom exactly what your criticism is getting at other than the fact that there ain't a massive pair of tits bustin' out of her front.

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1