'Give the fucking album out!' Meth-Tical on Wu secret release

Len Cnut

Perhaps The Abbott is like, using it as like some kinda weird time capsule thing, i dunno :lol:

I would be cool with something like this. Add to the Wu legend. But to hear Meth talk not everybody was on board with what's going on now.

I dunno, i was kinda being flippant there, i think that sounds like some Saved by the Bell bullshit :lol:

Hey I'm trying to help RZA out. He's getting killed here.

Does it to himself tho really. He's so pretentious. Give your fans wat they want, ykno? Naw instead we will just bring a live band in for the beats on the newest release and spit some lousy birth of a prince rhymes.

Meanwhile we will put out a classic sounding wu album and not let the fans that have been around since the beginning hear it. Fuckin dick move, esp when he knows what we want from wu, that's one thing, but to go against the rest of the group... Wtf rza..

Hey I'm trying to help RZA out. He's getting killed here.

Does it to himself tho really. He's so pretentious. Give your fans wat they want, ykno? Naw instead we will just bring a live band in for the beats on the newest release and spit some lousy birth of a prince rhymes.

Meanwhile we will put out a classic sounding wu album and not let the fans that have been around since the beginning hear it. Fuckin dick move, esp when he knows what we want from wu, that's one thing, but to go against the rest of the group... Wtf rza..

I'm with you on the new album, making it so we will never hear it, doing stuff with the other guys not on board, if that's whats going on, that's bad business.

Musically, I want the same thing you do, the classic Wu sound, a return to form. It's just hard for me to knock someone like RZA 20 years into his career. He has done way too much for rap and has given me way too much great music for me to start tearing him down at age 40 something. So he's not producing exactly the way I want him to, I look at it like he's earned the right to play around with his sound if he wants to.

Exactly! There was a time when people listened to the 36 Chambers sound and the whole Wu Tang idea and was calling it bullshit but The Abbott had the will and the strength of his convictions to see shit through. And now with this whole live band thing, honestly it ain't to my fuckin' taste, or it weren't, i weren't really having it, I'm a total total fuckin' purist fundamentalist about hip hop. The way you make shit work with hip hop is to slip a new thing in based on some kind of point of reference and the shit works, the live band things works, Ghost-deini had that shit on his last two albums and they were sick, least i think so. It's finding its place is my point but it works in the hands of people who understand that it's kinda like the evolution of the soul/funk sample aspect, an accentuation of that, instead of turning hip hop into fuckin' horrible stadium rock bullshit (which is kinda the way it comes across in the hands of many others). The people that are chosen under the Wu banner to do that shit are very a very specific kind of people with a very specific sound, Al Greens band and these guys BADBADNOTGOOD who I'd never heard of before but within that context they sound exactly the fuckin' ticket.

RZA would suck if he kept making that 36 Chambers sound, i would rather he try something different and fuck up than commit to that other shit cuz it's easy, that ain't the spirit of the whole thing. I don't mind the people i like fucking up, i mind them not trying. I don't think the audience has a right to demand that an artist make like 'x' kind of sound, thats up to them, you're the artists passenger and it's their job to take you some place, not yours to tell em where they should be going.

I don't think A Better Tommorow suffers because of it's production, i don't think it suffers cuz of the sound, i think it suffers because it's a bunch of artists coming together as a form of compromise and they're artists that don't work well under compromise. I love the respect that they have for each other and the love they have for each other as brothers but...they're seperate and it shows. Those early Wu albums sounded good because they sounded like what they were, a bunch of guys in very close quarters that actually WERE pretty much best mates and always around each other and that vibe shows up on the albums. Now it's like a bunch of old friends that still really love and respect each other but they've pushed on and it shows.

I think a Wu album would work if they all left their fuckin' familys for a couple of months, all camped out together, all hung out, commited to that living in close quarters and got in that spirit of friendly competitiveness and pull it off like that...THEN you would have a Wu album, fuck it, sharpen your swords against each other, if you get what i mean. But thing is what 40 year old guy wants to put themselves out there like that, even if it is just among your mates.

All in all though, hip hop is a young mans game and it's getting really interesting watching what happens as the first crop of really mainstream rappers settle into middle age. Y'know what i think? This age is when the rubber hits the road and you can't just ride off your schtick, be it hardcore or...i dunno, some kinda dancey shit or whatever and like...you either prove your worth as an artist in that you do things that are interesting enough to sustain your career...or you'll expose yourself as a one trick pony.

It's a really interesting gestative state though, you have these artists that have no pre-determined niche, no template for what happens and they're kinda feeling around and making something work for them, sort of like Ghost is with these new conceptey comic-bookey things he's doing.

Also, to go back to the point i was making, don't we have enough albums of that classic Wu sound? Thats how you make yourself irrelevant, like living like it's the fuckin' 90s still, it's just not and quite frankly i don't want the 90s either, it was good, i loved it, i still listen to the music but wouldn't life suck if tommorow never came? People love Dr Dre and rate him up and down but y'know I'm kinda sceptical about him and part of it is precisely that he's been doing the same shit his whole career and like...quite frankly the cannonizing of Dre tends to ignore the fact that...he hasn't done much in a great while and i always get the feeling with these mad scientist types like Axl who spend 500 years in the studio, I'm sceptical about their talent levels, i think they make a lot of shit and weed like...1 good beat out of 80 shit ones or something like that. Dre kinda tests the waters with shit, lets out a song like I Need A Doctor or Kush and it's a piece of shit really but everyone ignores that cuz it's Dre, fuck that.

Very few artists can make it without changing their sounds, without doing something different by that kind of age, unless you're like The Ramones and your whole thing exists in this kinda retro microcosm that is the whole heart and soul of what you do.

• Like 1

You talk about having enough of the same ol wu records. I love all those records. And they're different. The solo albums are different. Tical sounds different than linx. Linx sounds different than swords. Uncontrolled substance sounds different than all those.

Then look at forever. That doesn't sound like enter the wu. Reunited. It's yourz. Triumph. All a little more polished but still grimey as fuck. Rza even has some good rhymes. The w wasn't bAd either.

All those albums sound different and they still work. I was just really disappointed with 8 diagrams and a better tomorrow over all.

Almost wish they would get someone else to produce a one off last effort. Something their real fans are hungry for. Sorry for the rant. Rza just annoys me these last 10 years..

You talk about having enough of the same ol wu records. I love all those records. And they're different. The solo albums are different. Tical sounds different than linx. Linx sounds different than swords. Uncontrolled substance sounds different than all those.

Then look at forever. That doesn't sound like enter the wu. Reunited. It's yourz. Triumph. All a little more polished but still grimey as fuck. Rza even has some good rhymes. The w wasn't bAd either.

All those albums sound different and they still work. I was just really disappointed with 8 diagrams and a better tomorrow over all.

Almost wish they would get someone else to produce a one off last effort. Something their real fans are hungry for. Sorry for the rant. Rza just annoys me these last 10 years..

I wasn't saying I've had enough of them i was saying we've got enough of em. And yeah they're all different, totally agree but there is a common thread through them as well, minimalist old school beats, the Kung Fu samples and the whole kit and kaboodle of what entailed RZAs production of the time. Thats all i was getting at. Simply put the man doesn't wanna be RZA who does 'x', like a dog and pony act.

But hey, listen, i get what you're saying too and i wouldn't be complaining either if he'd've continued in that vein, far from it, that collective of albums might possibly be like...some of the most enduring ever. I never thought about it when they came out, i just bought em and they were the shit and i listened to em and that was that...but it's coming to pass now where like...if someone puts on All Eyez On Me i just can't listen to it no more, just based on how much i over-listened to em. Same with a lot of Biggie and LL and Run DMC and many many rappers. Then it occurs to me that I've been listening to Cuban Linx, Ironman, Tical, Return to the 36, Liquid Swords etc etc for just as long...and i still listen to em all the time. They might just be the sleeper collective of the best fuckin' hip hop albums of that era. I'm sitting here and I'm thinking and not a lot is coming up in my mind that beats em. The point of my saying all this shit is, hey, no fuckin' arguments here if that had been what The Abbott had tried to do.

Ya.. I too can listen to almost all of those albums all the time. Bobby digi and odbs first albums are an exception. And i love u god on the wu tang albums but could never get into golden arms. Len you ever hear heist of a century by la the darkman? One of my favorite wu affiliated releases. Grimey. Great word play.

Odb! Haha. That's one album I could never get into. He's too drunk and crazy. The pillage is great tho. And uncontrolled substance is great. Check out the track as the world turnz. It's from that la album and Rae is on it. Give ya a taste. You're gunna love it.

Edited by drtydane

Nah man, Dirt Dog was the absolute truth, one end to the other his two albums were fucking fantastic, Damage, Raw Hide, Hippa To Tha Hoppa, Shimmy Shimmy Ya...fuck, all of it, end to end, pure brilliance. On sheer originality alone it is almost unparralleled in hip hop. One of the rawest most original flows I've ever heard.

And y'know what else, you can hear Dirty in some of the others. Pay close attention to Meths flow, there's shades of Dirty in it. The rest too. They really did the each one teach one thing where GZA, OD', RZA, Ghost (Rae to a lesser extent for some reason) these guys all have shades of each other. I remember reading an early interview asking Meth' who his influences were and he basically said the older guys in the Wu.

But yeah, I'll check that album out...there's very little Wu i ain't heard but thats one.

I would say check out their first 2 albums first: Enter the 36 Chambers and Wu-Tang Forever. Both classics.

Then do like Mansin is saying, check out the early solo stuff.

GZA - Liquid Swords

Ghostface Killah - Ironman

Raekwon - Only Built for Cuban Lynx

Ol Dirty Bastard - Return to the 36 Chambers

Method Man - Tical

The solo albums have other Wu members featured all over them too.

• Like 1

Figure there's no better place to ask than in this thread...with all the hype and controversy around the Wu lately, it's reminded me that I've never sat down and listened to them, so what's THE album I should start with?

This:

I would say check out their first 2 albums first: Enter the 36 Chambers and Wu-Tang Forever. Both classics.

GZA - Liquid Swords

Method Man - Tical

There was a time when people listened to the 36 Chambers sound and the whole Wu Tang idea and was calling it bullshit

When? As far as I remember 36 was a classic pretty much the second it came out.

36 is great. But since that's your introduction I think I'd go to Cuban linx after. Then either ironman or liquid swords followed by tical. Personally I never cared for odbs first cd, so I'd save that one til later..

Cuban linx is my fav solo album, might even like it better than 36 chambers. At the very least its an EXTREMELY close second.

Figure there's no better place to ask than in this thread...with all the hype and controversy around the Wu lately, it's reminded me that I've never sat down and listened to them, so what's THE album I should start with?

This:

GZA - Liquid Swords

Method Man - Tical

There was a time when people listened to the 36 Chambers sound and the whole Wu Tang idea and was calling it bullshit

When? As far as I remember 36 was a classic pretty much the second it came out.

I meant like when they were shopping it around early, sorry, should've been clearer they.