can anyone tell me what went down at Reading 2010?

I was there, went to Reading a few times. (05-10)

Reading Festival is in the middle of Reading town basically so they have extremely tight noise and curfew regulations. The band were an hour or so late, the stage was all setup in about 20-30 minutes after QOTSA finished and there was no further action on the stage in terms of setup. We all just waited basically - a lot of people were very confused as it wasn't a hardcore GnR crowd it was a 3 day festival.

It was kind of funny really, they got through the whole set and they cut the power of Paradise. Bumble was trying to let the security let the fans on stage - it was kind of rock n roll in the end as we only missed 1 song.

However the mood in the crowd was FOUL before they started, they lost that crowd by the time they took to the stage. Spirits were very high prior to their appearance but that dissapated minute by minute as the delay carried on.

Edited by life_247

Re the lateness (which btw has been a complete non-issue for around 5 years), is it that hard to imagine that you don't wanna go on until you feel you can really "bring it"? Makes some sense to me at least.

Also, pretty redundant to compare this to a real job - he wouldn't have to put on a show and give himself to a big audience if he did :)

If he feels like he can't bring it. Why enter into a contract that gives you a start time? This is just one of the moments Axl is an asshole. It's one of those criticisms that he could have easily managed a long time ago.

He needs a professional time keeper.

axlroseentrevista.jpg

Edited by cooker

Axl's whole going on late shtick is a joke

Yep. There's nothing, zero, nada, absolutely nothing cool about it. Those who think otherwise are just those typical Axl brownosers who justify everything Axl does as being the last true real legendary dangerous rock star with integrity. Lol.

• Like 1

Yep. There's nothing, zero, nada, absolutely nothing cool about it. Those who think otherwise are just those typical Axl brownosers who justify everything Axl does as being the last true real legendary dangerous rock star with integrity. Lol.

For sure, it's hard to grasp that an adult man can be so disrespectful towards his fans and everyone around. It always made me wonder whether he's just a really selfish person or if there is something autistic going on with him.

Reading this reminded me of all the shit that went down that first month or so when the band started playing again in fall 2010.

-The Reading/Leeds festival and the "sit-in."

-Axl...excse me... I mean a hacker tweeting that the entire tour was off and to get refunds

-Axl getting pissed in Dublin and leaving stage; only to come back out 20 minutes later and play the rest of the show standing still (and providing one of the best vocal performances of his career).

I agree, the tardiness thing is petulant and embarrassing, but these events certainly beat what was to come...

-Axl blowing not one, but two, major performances that received an internet stream.

-Refusing to attend the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

-Making headlines when someone stole his jewelry

-Ending a show early because he ate bad wings and had diarrhea.

• Like 1

For sure, it's hard to grasp that an adult man can be so disrespectful towards his fans and everyone around. It always made me wonder whether he's just a really selfish person or if there is something autistic going on with him.

I love Axl, but there's really no friggin reason for him to wait hours after the openers and go on stage at midnight or later. It's inconsiderate, especially if the show is on a weekday. I've seen many bands play live (NIN, Marilyn Manson, Motley Crue, Trooper, Nazareth, Crash Test Dummies, and so forth...) and only Manson made us wait for a while after the opening band (and it wasn't his fault). They all played 2 hour set lists and were done by 11pm at the latest.

It's my biggest pet peeve about going to a GN'R show.