Prince 1958 - 2016

HeartbreakerWoman

ok for all the people who think only "rich" people like Prince ( bless his soul ) can get fentanyl from special "star" drs i just had a cousin die from a fentanyl OD. he was hit by a delivery truck and had unbearable pain from his multiple injuries, but mostly his back was way effed up. that's hw he got it. plus when i heard about my cousin that brought back a memory of a guy i worked with whose wife was also messed up in a bad car wreck. she was higher than a kite one day and crashed her car WITH her two kids inside. her husband divorced her and got custody of the kids. anyway, the point is regular people can get this as well. RIP Cousin Eddie :( 

• 2 months later...

Fast approaching one year without Prince.

I'm celebrating with a party at my house on the anniversary itself. Doing an acoustic set of Prince tunes with a buddy who's excellent on guitar. Then spending the rest of the night spinning tunes from every era. Should be fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Fast approaching one year without Prince.

I'm celebrating with a party at my house on the anniversary itself. Doing an acoustic set of Prince tunes with a buddy who's excellent on guitar. Then spending the rest of the night spinning tunes from every era. Should be fun.

i can't believe it has almost been a year :( but cool you are doing like a tribute party for him :) 

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Fashionista said:

Whats you guys stances on Prince's early (pre mid 80s, pre massive popularity) stuff? I've been listening to stuff from his self-titled and I gotta say I love it.

I truly love all eras of Prince. Like many others I got into him as a kid when Purple Rain came out. While I loved Purple Rain, I was absolutely stunned and amazed by the likes of Around The World In A Day, Parade & Sign 'O' The Times though. The when he changed over to The NPG era, it was a little hard for me to love it as much but eventually a lot of that material became big favorites of mine. I kept close watch on everything he did from there out. I think stuff like Emancipation and Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic are criminally under rated. So are things like Lotusflow3r, Planet Earth as well as the stuff he did with 3rd Eye Girl. 

So anyway... because I came into knowing him during the Purple Rain era and things came after that so fast & furious, I never really want back to dig into things he did way early on. Soon after he passed, I went back and dug into all of that. It's obviously far more simplistic than everything he was doing later on but that's not a bad thing at all.

For me, it's very similar to how my Pink Floyd fandom progressed. I joined in at a certain time, then took years to go back and hear everything before that. I realized very quickly that all the records from before Dark Side of the Moon paint a picture of a band that's becoming good enough to make Dark Side of the Moon. I hear that with pre-Purple Rain Prince now. Yes, it's no where near as complex but it's an artist evolving. It's Prince figuring out exactly who he is, meanwhile becoming good enough to be the guy that makes Purple Rain and all the material that followed it.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 10:17 AM, RussTCB said:

I truly love all eras of Prince. Like many others I got into him as a kid when Purple Rain came out. While I loved Purple Rain, I was absolutely stunned and amazed by the likes of Around The World In A Day, Parade & Sign 'O' The Times though. The when he changed over to The NPG era, it was a little hard for me to love it as much but eventually a lot of that material became big favorites of mine. I kept close watch on everything he did from there out. I think stuff like Emancipation and Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic are criminally under rated. So are things like Lotusflow3r, Planet Earth as well as the stuff he did with 3rd Eye Girl. 

So anyway... because I came into knowing him during the Purple Rain era and things came after that so fast & furious, I never really want back to dig into things he did way early on. Soon after he passed, I went back and dug into all of that. It's obviously far more simplistic than everything he was doing later on but that's not a bad thing at all.

For me, it's very similar to how my Pink Floyd fandom progressed. I joined in at a certain time, then took years to go back and hear everything before that. I realized very quickly that all the records from before Dark Side of the Moon paint a picture of a band that's becoming good enough to make Dark Side of the Moon. I hear that with pre-Purple Rain Prince now. Yes, it's no where near as complex but it's an artist evolving. It's Prince figuring out exactly who he is, meanwhile becoming good enough to be the guy that makes Purple Rain and all the material that followed it.

To be honest, I am new to Prince. I mean, I knew the mid 80s hits and the Batman soundtrack, so I figured I'd start the beginning. So I can't say I know anywhere as much as you. But while you say the early music is simplistic compared to the later stuff, I honestly think there's a charm to it. I do find it interesting how early Prince really styled himself after Mick Jagger (not just me saying it, but even the comments on this youtube video). His hair, dancing style, even the way he annunciates a little here reminds me of something like Beast of Burden vocally and if you go watch a circa 1969 Mick Jagger, you see Prince's dancing here. It's interesting to see really:

What amaze me though is this is a 21 or 22 year old guy creating a whole, awesome funky track ON HIS OWN. I've read he played every single instrument on his first few records. To think a guy that young is playing all of these instruments competently, while making a funky little tune on top of it...I've not gotten deep into his music yet but I feel he may be the best musician possibly of all time. I can't think of very many others who were as multi-talented except perhaps David Bowie.