Prince 1958 - 2016

HeartbreakerWoman

5 hours ago, gunnermatt2004 said:

The point I'm making is Prince was a combination of all artists 

In other words he brought a bit of everything to the table 

Next level talent 

Peerless 

Like I said, I think he was a genius. But your statement is still incorrect in my opinion. And I don't think I took you too literally either cause you gave specific names. Like Hendrix which you could say was way more inventive and original when it came to guitar playing, he came up with a language of his own based on the blues while Prince was an excellent guitar player, but wasn't nearly as adventurous as Jimi was.

"All artists" is too bold to be accurate as well.

I've asked Russ to give me examples, but I didn't find anything as good as Jimi or Lennon. If you have examples of specific Prince tracks that contain guitar playing on a comparable level to Jimi or lyrics that are as good as what Lennon wrote, I'd appreciate it if you could share cause I highly doubt those exist.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

Like I said, I think he was a genius. But your statement is still incorrect in my opinion. And I don't think I took you too literally either cause you gave specific names. Like Hendrix which you could say was way more inventive and original when it came to guitar playing, he came up with a language of his own based on the blues while Prince was an excellent guitar player, but wasn't nearly as adventurous as Jimi was.

"All artists" is too bold to be accurate as well.

I've asked Russ to give me examples, but I didn't find anything as good as Jimi or Lennon. If you have examples of specific Prince tracks that contain guitar playing on a comparable level to Jimi or lyrics that are as good as what Lennon wrote, I'd appreciate it if you could share cause I highly doubt those exist.

I'm sorry I don't understand where your saying I'm incorrect?

The " all artists " I was referring to were the ones mentioned above and as I said Prince was the " musicians musician "

I never inferred that he was a better guitarist than Jimi but as a the whole box and dice as far as instruments played and production Prince is superior to anyone 

The complete package 

Billy Gibbons if you google it says he couldn't fathom how Prince played that riff at the start of when doves cry 

Look it up it's really fascinating to see how the 2 of them just spoke about guitars and music for hours on end 

One thing I do disagree with you on though Rovim if I can is you saying Prince wasn't adventurous well that's not the case as Prince has developed music in every genre 

Questlove said Prince virtually invented music using a drum machine and that everyone else is just imitating him

Listen to the song guitar yes that's actually the name of it by Prince if you want to hear some playing 

As far as anything measuring up to Jimi that's a different question 

How many instruments could Jimi play?

Prince could play 21 by age 11

Jimi could play guitar. Better than anyone. As far as lyrics go, take someone like Dylan for example... Prince could have never matched that quality and/or consistency.

And when I said adventurous I meant strictly guitar playing. Tunes like Machine Gun, Voodoo Child (improvised it and it was captured on film but was lost) Little Wing, Bold As Love... and so many perfect guitar moments. Prince never was as original when it came to guitar playing.

As a musician and how versatile he was, it was truly staggering how he was so good at seamlessly alternating between genres, and still it sounded like he was right at home, no matter what he did. I recognize his greatness.

But I'd say he never even matched what Jimi did when it came to guitar playing. Lennon wrote much better lyrics as well. Prince didn't have that cut to the chase appeal Lennon had or out of this world guitar playing Jimi possessed.

Edited by Rovim

You can only go by the body of work which Is quality and massive quantity by Prince and tragically we never got to see the 27 year old left handed wizard as he was gone way too soon

Prince still has 1000 tracks which could be court bound with family and record companies warring over their release 

As a guitarist Jimi is undoubtedly the best but as a musician Prince has no peer 

14 minutes ago, gunnermatt2004 said:

You can only go by the body of work which Is quality and massive quantity by Prince and tragically we never got to see the 27 year old left handed wizard as he was gone way too soon

Prince still has 1000 tracks which could be court bound with family and record companies warring over their release 

As a guitarist Jimi is undoubtedly the best but as a musician Prince has no peer 

Yeah, he was a multi instrumentalist. A great player. A great producer. A great singer.

But I think the more important thing is what you do with all of that ability. It's about the tunes at the end of the day isn't it? so as a songwriter, he had many peers. As a guitar player... many, many peers. He still wrote great tunes, and so many of them.

But Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Dylan, Lennon, and others were just as good as songwriters and lyricists and they all used their respective musical instruments to write and compose brilliant tunes.

But yeah, Prince played many instruments. That is impressive plus he could dance too. (not being sarcastic)

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Yeah, he was a multi instrumentalist. A great player. A great producer. A great singer.

But I think the more important thing is what you do with all of that ability. It's about the tunes at the end of the day isn't it? so as a songwriter, he had many peers. As a guitar player... many, many peers. He still wrote great tunes, and so many of them.

But Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Dylan, Lennon, and others were just as good as songwriters and lyricists and they all used their respective musical instruments to write and compose brilliant tunes.

But yeah, Prince played many instruments. That is impressive plus he could dance too. (not being sarcastic)

Rovim just download his catalogue and listen to it and I'm not saying you will love it as there many of his tunes that I don't even like 

But as a music fan I recommend you give it a go as it is very impressive 

11 minutes ago, gunnermatt2004 said:

Rovim just download his catalogue and listen to it and I'm not saying you will love it as there many of his tunes that I don't even like 

Will do, and I consider what I've heard to be great already and enjoy it very much. :)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Will do, and I consider what I've heard to be great already and enjoy it very much. :)

I recommend this book too if you like reading about the creative process and Princes life which has been shrouded in mystery 

When you read stories of him ringing his record company saying he's got a triple album ready to be released even though he only had a new album released a few months ago you see his work rate is phenomenal and it just flows from him

Really terrific book and I have read plenty 

Great to be discussing real musicals artists  in an era not favourable to the previous ones

1 minute ago, gunnermatt2004 said:

I recommend this book too if you like reading about the creative process and Princes life which has been shrouded in mystery 

When you read stories of him ringing his record company saying he's got a triple album ready to be released even though he only had a new album released a few months ago you see his work rate is phenomenal and it just flows from him

Really terrific book and I have read plenty 

Great to be discussing real musicals artists  in an era not favourable to the previous ones

Sorry this is the book

PRINCE INSIDE THE MUSIC AND THE MASKS - RONAN RO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gunnermatt2004 said:

I already had a hard time narrowing down recommendations earlier, but I wanted to ask you as a big fan:

What 5 Prince albums would you tell someone to listen to first?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I already had a hard time narrowing down recommendations earlier, but I wanted to ask you as a big fan:

No problem mate 

Sign of the times

Purple Rain

Around the world in a day

Parade 

39 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Ok RussTCB

Now you give me yours please ?

Your top 10 Prince songs as well

No problem mate 

Sign of the times

Purple Rain

Around the world in a day

Parade 

A couple of weeks ago, someone asked me what 5 Prince albums they should hear first. I came close to your answer, here's what I told them:

Parade
Around The World In A Day
Lotusflow3r
Sign 'O' The Times
The Gold Experience

Your top 10 Prince songs as well

That's almost too hard to nail down, but I'll throw out 10 of my faves:

Sometimes It Snows In April (This is definitely my all time favorite)
Mountains
Paisley Park
The Beautiful Ones
Nothing Compares 2 U
Partyman
Gett Off
Pussy Control
The Ride

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

inb4 just go to youtube and search: "best 10 Prince songs" or whatever.

You know the mods & admins can see it when you constantly hide your own posts right? ;):lol:

29 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

You know the mods & admins can see it when you constantly hide your own posts right? ;):lol:

Of course I know. Always knew. But to be brutally honest, I don't actually care what mods think about my edits and shitposts. ;)

Edited by Rovim

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Of course I know. Always knew. But to be brutally honest, I don't actually care what mods think about my edits and shitposts. ;)

I guess I just don't understand the point of replying to someone only to hide it. Seems like if you really didn't care what others thought, you'd just leave your replies to them, ya know?

(P.S. Of course you shouldn't care what the mods think about your edits, etc. I just get the reasoning to the above is all)

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I guess I just don't understand the point of replying to someone only to hide it. Seems like if you really didn't care what others thought, you'd just leave your replies to them, ya know?

(P.S. Of course you shouldn't care what the mods think about your edits, etc. I just get the reasoning to the above is all)

Oh I care, just not about what mods think of it. Like I knew you'd still see that post, but many times I weedpost and regret it so I don't want anyone to see how shit my post was. (except mods) It must be perfect. I consider every shitpost a work of art.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

Oh I care, just not about what mods think of it. Like I knew you'd still see that post, but many times I weedpost and regret it so I don't want anyone to see how shit my post was. It must be perfect. I consider every shitpost a work of art.

I see. Carry on, I guess? lol