AxlRoseCDII

Shooting at Thousand Oaks Borderline Bar and Grill - 12 Dead

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

_100782942_gun_comparison_640_v2-nc.png

Surprising about the highness of Canada there.

Yes, its sad. Theres plenty of guns, offering plenty of opportunity. Our overall homicide rate at 1.68/100,000 is much lower than US at 5.35/100,000. Ours is comparable to the UK at 1.2/100,000. All 2016 numbers.

Additionally, there's a lot of Gun deaths that aren't homicides.

rZbqpkI.jpg

Kilings by shooting is on the rise in Canada. I live in the city with the 4th highest rate of gun violence and here its a lot of youth gangs and spousal assault. A lot of seized guns where I live have been smuggled in from US or stolen from houses. There's incidents of Settler gun violence from time to time in Canada.

We had a recent spree shooting and another infamous mass shooting in the 80's which targeted women. But so far spree shootings are rare in Canada.

sGS5LU1.jpg

"The use of handguns, specifically, has also been on the rise.

There were 130 homicides committed with a handgun in 2016, Statistics Canada said in a recent report, which was the most in more than a decade.

Handguns accounted for 21 per cent of the total homicides that year, and 58 per cent of the shooting homicides.

In the United States, by comparison, the report notes there were 7,105 homicides committed with a handgun in 2016, accounting for 47 per cent of all homicides south of the border that year."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/canada-gun-facts-crime-accidental-shootings-suicides-1.4803378

But not to derail, back to the Thousand Oaks tragedy.

Edited by soon

So heartbreaking to hear and see the parents who lost loved ones pleading for better gun control.

Seeing the faces of the victims was terrible. I don't know what it will take to stop this violence?

I saw an interview about the shooter and the police and doctors did visit him, but deemed him okay and not a threat to himself or others. Guess they got that so damn wrong.

Sometimes it's hard for any doctor to decide about a person's mental state. They can only go by what you tell them and how you act. Maybe at that time, he was okay. I just don't know anymore.

I'm sorry for the loss of life yet again.

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Seeing the faces of the victims was terrible. I don't know what it will take to stop this violence?

Ooh! I know, I know, I know!!

16 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I agree with you but even if we do that nothing is going to get done. The second it gets brought up in congress, there's always a ton of infighting and it eventually gets forgotten or swept under the rug

It must make you sick. 

1 hour ago, spunko12345 said:

It must make you sick. 

It's just bullshit. I'd like to be able to go to school or a concert without worrying about someone shooting the place up 

• Sad 1