Gilby

Vincent Vega

Marc,

Do you feel Gilby was a good fit for GN'R? And given his solo material (not sure if you ever heard any of it), do you think he had the writing chops to be GN'R's rhythm guitarist? Do you think, if Axl had wanted GN'R to do a traditional rock album, Gilby could've fit in well?

Do you think Axl should've given him more of a chance? Did the other guys--Duff and Matt--like him?

Gilby was a perfect fit for the live GNR even better than Izzy. There really is no one that could replace Izzy with the songwriting stuff that he had to offer. If the band was going to stay together, it was going to be different. I don't think Gilby would have had that much to offer that would have been used. The way I see it if Slash and Duff had stuck around, the song writing would have come from Slash Duff and Axl. It would have not been the same without Izzy but still very good. There are many old GNR songs that Izzy didn't really have a hand in and they worked out well. Slash was not going to work with Paul and Axl was not going to work on all 12 songs that Slash thought the band was going to do. I do belive that if Slash and Duff didn't sign over their rights to the name, there would have been a much better chance that the Slash and Axl would have met in the middle and work it out.

Did they consider writing with West during this period? Did you ever meet Paul, was he like Slash described?

Gilby was a perfect fit for the live GNR even better than Izzy. There really is no one that could replace Izzy with the songwriting stuff that he had to offer. If the band was going to stay together, it was going to be different. I don't think Gilby would have had that much to offer that would have been used. The way I see it if Slash and Duff had stuck around, the song writing would have come from Slash Duff and Axl. It would have not been the same without Izzy but still very good. There are many old GNR songs that Izzy didn't really have a hand in and they worked out well. Slash was not going to work with Paul and Axl was not going to work on all 12 songs that Slash thought the band was going to do. I do belive that if Slash and Duff didn't sign over their rights to the name, there would have been a much better chance that the Slash and Axl would have met in the middle and work it out.

Izzy was back for a short while. I thought they should have all gone in a room together and write but no one would listen to me so it fell apart fast.

Did they consider writing with West during this period? Did you ever meet Paul, was he like Slash described?

I did meet Paul he was a nice guy but I'm not so sure he had the right image for the band. I also see why Axl wanted to work with him for at least songwriting.

Edited by recklessroad

Gilby's debut, Pawnshop Guitars, is terrific. I would take it before Snakepit and Duff's solo album anyday.

Marc, didn't Izzy still write with the guys in the mid-late 90's or not?

In April 1995 Duff invited Izzy back; the two of them proceeded to create about ten demos over the course of a week - I believe Duff's idea was to get 'Guns N' Roses moving again' and Stradlin agreed to return as a songwriter only. Nothing came of it although Axl liked one of the songs ('Down by the Ocean') enough to retain it for a future release. I think some of the songs ended up coming out on Izzy's solo albums.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Gilby's debut, Pawnshop Guitars, is terrific. I would take it before Snakepit and Duff's solo album anyday.

I liked Cure Me of Kill Me, Tijuana Jail, and Dead Flowers. The rest was ok. I did get his EP called Blooze from Japan and a single which has a song called "West of the Sunset". That one was good. What sucks about Gilby is that he's terrible at lyrics.

Marc a copuple questions:

1. You said you thought Gilby fit the band better live than Izzy did. Just wondering why you thought so? I do not necessarily disagree, but I rarely say people say Gilby did anything better than Izzy.

2. What did you mean when you said you could understand why Axl would want to write with Paul?

I honestly feel that Gilby is underrated. I'm a fan, and he should have been inducted in to the HOF with the rest of the guys.

For what filling in for Izzy and overdubbing him on TSI ?

He was part of the "classic era" - no reason not to include him.

He was just a hired hand touring member no different from Ashba & Co

Edited by Dark Knight

Izzy was back for a short while. I thought they should have all gone in a room together and write but no one would listen to me so it fell apart fast.

I did meet Paul he was a nice guy but I'm not so sure he had the right image for the band. I also see why Axl wanted to work with him for at least songwriting.

Marc, you mentioned that they didn't want to go into a room and work it out.

Was it all of them or some that didn't want to do it?

Were band members taking sides against each other?

What the hell was their management team doing during all this?

Not the 1985 to 1988 Izzy. I'm talking about the 1991 Izzy, he didn't move on stage. It was cool to see him sing the 2 songs but he didn't add anything to the swow and his guitar playing was so so. It was not the same Izzy

Yeah, this is what I perceived when watching all the bootlegs from the UYI tour. Izzy changed a lot.

Not the 1985 to 1988 Izzy. I'm talking about the 1991 Izzy, he didn't move on stage. It was cool to see him sing the 2 songs but he didn't add anything to the swow and his guitar playing was so so. It was not the same Izzy

Yeah, this is what I perceived when watching all the bootlegs from the UYI tour. Izzy changed a lot.

Yup, Axl stopped sharing the mic with Izzy like he used to during Brownstone and a few others. The band was broken.

I honestly feel that Gilby is underrated. I'm a fan, and he should have been inducted in to the HOF with the rest of the guys.

What for filling in for Izzy and overdubbing him on TSI ?

If you induct Matt and Dizzy you can make a good argument for Gilby's induction. Also, some of the tracks on TSI were recorded freshly, post-Izzy. Since I Don't Have You for example.

Edited by DieselDaisy

What for filling in for Izzy and overdubbing him on TSI ?

If you induct Matt and Dizzy you can make a good argument for Gilby's induction. Also, some of the tracks on TSI were recorded freshly, post-Izzy. Since I Don't Have You for example.

Matt and Dizzy played on original studio albums genius can you see differnce ? they contributed to band`s sound and legacy whether you like their contributions or not is another subject Gilby just replaced izzy, finished the tour and rerecorded his parts on TSI. SIDHY is very popular song is n`t it ?

Edited by Dark Knight

I would have included Matt regardless but Dizzy's role on UYI was slight. So tapping a few keys on an original album is such a gigantic difference from completing one of the world's biggest tours as GN'R's rhythm guitarist (and then going on into TSI). I remember this period and Gilby Clarke was way more well known and respected than Dizzy Reed. I am not actually saying, do not include Dizzy though. What I am saying is, if Reed was inducted, Clarke should have been also.