Duff: GNR split because of lawyers

Liquor & Whores

http://www.rockaaa.com/news/guns-n-roses-split-caused-by-lawyers-5521

Duff McKagan says he has never had any personal problems with Axl Rose and the cracks which formed, and eventually tore Guns N’ Roses apart, were deliberately created by lawyers looking to make a quick buck.

The bassist quit GNR in 1997, following in the footsteps of Slash and Izzy Stradlin, leaving Axl as the only classic line-up member remaining.

But he reveals the whole situation was created by outside influences and not by any disagreement or personal issue between the band and Axl. He told AV Club:

“I never had a personal beef with Axl, truth be told. Lawyers and stuff in that instance, it was kind of treacherous. They make money and try to create enemies between clients.

“I wish they’d teach that course. If there was a rock ’n’ roll textbook, I could add some shit to it, real valuable shit. We were torn apart by people who weren’t in the band, and that’s really what always happens.

“Same thing, in a way, that happened with Velvet Revolver. When you gotta have managers and agents, you can’t protect everyone from addiction. And it’s addiction, you know? It’s a modern world we live in, with everything at our fingertips, and if it’s not at our fingertips, you can dot-com anything.”

On the subject of Velvet Revolver’s split with singer Scott Weiland, McKagan insists that can simply be put down to addiction. He continued:

“Scott’s thing was substance-related, and I’m not throwing him under the bus. It’s pretty well-documented.

“It wasn’t like, “You’re a fucking dick.” Scott and I especially went through a lot of stuff in that band together. I went up to the mountains with him in Washington and we did martial arts and did some soul-searching together, just him and me. He didn’t let me down. I’m fine, you know? I still care for him very much, and always will.

“We’re bros when it comes down to it, and that’s it. We were having a hell of a hard time working together at the end. It wouldn’t come to blows, but it was just difficult when certain elements came back into the picture, but we’re all good.”

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“I never had a personal beef with Axl, truth be told."- Duff McKagan

Now take time to let that one sink in.

I'm sure that will spun 18 different ways by the various haters :rofl-lol:

After all, to some, everything that goes wrong with GN'R must be Axl's fault. Just kidding...sort of.

Ali

There is seldom discussion around that aspect. The lawyers. And it's true that part of the lawyers job is to create more work. What is the first thing they say "Don't talk to the other party." so that all communication is legalese.

There is seldom discussion around that aspect. The lawyers. And it's true that part of the lawyers job is to create more work. What is the first thing they say "Don't talk to the other party." so that all communication is legalese.

meh..the "shit" that lead to the lawyers....

All the time I look back and say, "that bitch wasn't that bad..we could have made it work."

My Bank Account, Family, and Sanity say otherwise.

And so the spin begins. :rofl-lol:

Ali

No spin.

This is dumb shit by duff......simply a business move.

he doesn't have any problems with axl, it was somebody else's fault?

So, um.. duff why aren't you still in the band if you and and axl are cool? Why was there ever even a lawsuit?

Edited by SunnyDRE

I realize lawyers aren't called in when everything is fine, but GnR became big business pretty early on. And a small issue can become a big issue pretty easily when they are involved. I have never had any dealings with lawyers that diminished an issue. The issues were always magnified and more stressful than they needed to be and closed the door to just talking things out. Just saying they were likely a factor in the mess as well. And according to Duff, they were.

All the time I look back and say, "that bitch wasn't that bad..we could have made it work."

Ali

No spin.

So, um.. duff why aren't you still in the band if you and and axl are cool? Why was there ever even a lawsuit?

He said he didn't have any "personal" beef with Axl. He may have had some issues working with Axl. But, maybe, just maybe, now that Duff has the benefit of hindsight, it being 20/20 and all, he realizes there were other contributing factors to the old band's breakup. I know that sounds crazy, but, again, maybe it wasn't 100% Axl's fault.

Ali

Ali

No spin.

Duff is all business. And he would make a great politician. The spin will come from him just give him time.

No spin.

I'd say it's because he's moved on from GN'R and is doing other things with his life now. He left GN'R what, 14 years ago? He's gotten over whatever problems he may have had enough to join Axl on stage, if only for a few songs, and I think that says a lot.

I think you get some distance from things and you can see more clearly. I'm sure a lot of people had a hand pulling these guys a part and business keeps them a part. Put them in a room together and they'd be okay. Not sure they could take it for very long, too much damage, too much business.

This is straight out of the horses mouth and people are still trying to say its BS. Very cute.

Well it is different then what he said before BUT that doesn't mean what he is saying now isn't true. Maybe he didn't know the lawyers were behind the problems back then. We may never know.

Guest siliconmessiah

I don't know what to think of this.

Will Duff work with Axl again in the near future? It almost seems that way.

I have said all the time that we might be up for a very big surprise this october.

Edited by siliconmessiah