The Doors Live

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

How far apart was the New Orleans meltdown to the Boston shows in 1970? I just downloaded two audio shows from a torrent, and Morrison sounds pretty bad.

Boston was Fri. Apr. 10 1970

Early show was at 7pm...the second show was scheduled for 10 pm but didn't start until 12:18 am

(sound familiar??)

The Hall Manager cuts the power to the stage around 2 am...but the p.a. is still live.Morrison growls "cocksuckers"..."we should all get together and have some fun,because THEY are going to win if you let 'em".

Manzarek leaps from his keyboards and cups Jim's mouth,and reminds him the LAST thing they need is more controversy on an already heavily scrutinized tour.Morrison angrily smashed his mic stand into the floor and follows Ray off stage.

New Orleans was Saturday Dec. 12 1970 :it was Jim's last performance with the Doors

So quite a bit of time passed between those two shows.

That's crazy. I haven't listened to the whole first or second show as his vocal aggravate me. They are so low at certain points. I'll have to give the Power outage track a listen.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really on topic but..

What are the top 5 songs for getting into the doors -_-

Go!

1. Light My Fire

2. L.A. Woman

3. Break On Through (to the Other Side)

4. Back Door Man

5. Soul Kitchen

These are good starting points, but they are truly a band where - once you get into them - a lot of their more "obscure" songs (like Hyacinth House) start to become treasured amongst the fans. For instance, I love L.A. Woman because it has all these really great blues-style songs like "Cars Hiss By My Window" and "Been Down So Long" which has the greatest song opening ever (not really, but I love it). Once you get into The Doors, you start to find special things in most of their songs. Unfortunately, they also have quite a few mediocre songs, but if you pick up their self-titled album, Morrison Hotel and L.A. Woman, you can do no wrong. Then later on get Strange Days (People Are Strange is an excellent song) and the other two.

Not really on topic but..

What are the top 5 songs for getting into the doors -_-

Go!

Buy/download the first album, man, it's one of the best debuts ever. In fact, you should get their albums in chronological order - it's all good.

Thanks guys :)

i need some advice, i have heard all the fuss about this band and so i got LA woman recently. i was extremely dissapointed. many people told me they were the best band ever, even better than henrix! and this album was a massive let down. is this band just an aquired taste or is that album just one dud album and they actually have a good album somewhere?

Anyone hear about Riders on the Storm? It's Ray and Robby with the singer from Fuel of all people. I'm contemplating going even though I consider replacing Morrison with a tool like that to be horrible.

Anyone hear about Riders on the Storm? It's Ray and Robby with the singer from Fuel of all people. I'm contemplating going even though I consider replacing Morrison with a tool like that to be horrible.

didnt they do that with Ian Astbury before? reform and play as the new millenium doors or something? they even released two post Jim albums, Full Circle & Other Voices

Edited by ffrankwhite

didnt they do that with Ian Astbury before? reform and play as the new millenium doors or something? they even released two post Jim albums, Full Circle & Other Voices

yeah-Ian I can semi-accept-probably the best man for the job, but this Fuel guy-fuck!

The Doors of the 21st Century. They even released a live dvd of Riders On The Storm material, as Jim never got to tour the album. They play it in full, with Ian Astbury on vocals. I think his vocals are shit. A man from England just don't do the songs justice.

On the other hand, I really dug what they did at the Storytellers program. Had a bunch of different singers. Fucking Scott Weiland did a great job on Break On Through. Check youtube.

The Doors of the 21st Century. They even released a live dvd of Riders On The Storm material, as Jim never got to tour the album. They play it in full, with Ian Astbury on vocals. I think his vocals are shit. A man from England just don't do the songs justice.

On the other hand, I really dug what they did at the Storytellers program. Had a bunch of different singers. Fucking Scott Weiland did a great job on Break On Through. Check youtube.

u mean L.A. Woman

the doors were really fuckin good live. possibly just as good as GNR. i mean, they are the definition of a fuckin rock concert. yall should get absolutly live

u mean L.A. Woman

the doors were really fuckin good live. possibly just as good as GNR. i mean, they are the definition of a fuckin rock concert. yall should get absolutly live

You are correct. Too many beers later :rofl-lol:

Strange Days is their best.

Seriously? I'd say it's not even their second best.

Their debut is similar to the Stooges' first album - kind of early psychedelic with bluesy influence and also a father to the hard rock genre. L.A. Woman is great because of its blues. Strange Days has some stellar tracks but it also has some really dull ones IMO. The title track included.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Their debut is similar to the Stooges' first album - kind of early psychedelic with bluesy influence and also a father to the hard rock genre. L.A. Woman is great because of its blues. Strange Days has some stellar tracks but it also has some really dull ones IMO. The title track included.

I think it's between the first two, and the shorter, pop type tracks are superior on Strange Days. Waiting for the Sun is excellent, but you have to be kidding yourself to put it in the same building as the first and last two albums. The Soft Parade can sound good at times, but only at times, unlike all of their other releases. Morrison Hotel is a nice retreat, with some beautiful moments, but it isn't as tight as their early albums. L.A. Woman I see as more of a mood piece.

I think it's between the first two, and the shorter, pop type tracks are superior on Strange Days. Waiting for the Sun is excellent, but you have to be kidding yourself to put it in the same building as the first and last two albums. The Soft Parade can sound good at times, but only at times, unlike all of their other releases. Morrison Hotel is a nice retreat, with some beautiful moments, but it isn't as tight as their early albums. L.A. Woman I see as more of a mood piece.

Waiting for the Sun has some underrated songs. So does The Soft Parade. Neither are anywhere near as good as their debut. Morrison Hotel is almost as good as the debut and L.A. Woman, because it has some nice lively rock songs, but it also has a bit more filler than the other two. So, I pretty much agree with you.

I saw The Doors w/ Ian Astbury on vocals. It was a nice tribute show. Worth the 25 bucks.

I won't go see them with Brett Scallions singing. I wouldn't pay a nickel for that.

What's the deal with that? Did Ian leave? Last I heard they were recording an album.

i remembering hearing densmore was suing em a whiles back.

That was over the name and band logo I believe. That is why they changed it to The Doors Of The 21st Century. He wanted them to change the signature logo too though.

I remember reading somewhere that he was invited to be the drummer, obviously, but has a hard time playing in time as his hearing is going, so he had to turn it down. I guess he figured without him they shouldn't be called The Doors.

That was over the name and band logo I believe. That is why they changed it to The Doors Of The 21st Century. He wanted them to change the signature logo too though.

I remember reading somewhere that he was invited to be the drummer, obviously, but has a hard time playing in time as his hearing is going, so he had to turn it down. I guess he figured without him they shouldn't be called The Doors.

fuckin sad ass state of affairs man. what was once so fucking...pefect had to turn into this bitch-fest. i hate when bands go to court and sue each other and shit. if i was Densmore i'd just fucking drop it, just fuckin cheapens things.

Edited by ffrankwhite

I have to admit though, that even though I'd perfer he not sue the others, sometimes I think Manzerek fucking deserves it. All he has on his mind is money. Reminds me of an older Gene Simmons. How many Greatest Hits packages does he need to put together. How many different dvd's of the same material? The only good thing to come from those guys these days is the Bright Midnight Archives.

Speaking of which, the new Boston 1970 discs are from the BMA stuff. And I was wondering if anyone that may have some of the others discs could be so kind as to hook a brother up? :D

DRCD11.jpg

DRCD12.jpg

DRCD09.jpg

DRCD10.jpg