The Doors Live

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

There's only one group I would've rather seen live instead of The Doors, and that'd be the Jimi Hendrix Experience. The Doors were so amazing as a live band, and I don't think many people are aware.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never seen anyone work a crowd like Morrison (recordings of course) so fucking relaxed up there, so paced, he wasnt y'know like....his actions up there were few and far between, made you wait and it was because of that wait what little he would actually explode into would be accentuated 10 fold. that Shamanistic dancing, the manazarek and krieger solo's (is he a fucking underrated guitarists or what?) The Doors always struck me as a band pushing for climax, its so impressive to watch. i always loved how when they did the unknown soldier they would set morrison up like for a firing squad and krieger would point his guitar like a rifle with densmore providing the gunclap and morrison would leap right the fuck off his feet onto the ground he like was dead. unreal. BRILLIANT live band, pity that dinner key auditorium thing fucked it all up for them.

I read somewhere that in his early days of performing, Jim sang with his back turned to the audience, is this true?

Nevertheless, The Doors were one of the best live bands ever, and I would have killed to see them do WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat).

I read somewhere that in his early days of performing, Jim sang with his back turned to the audience, is this true?

Nevertheless, The Doors were one of the best live bands ever, and I would have killed to see them do WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat).

That is very true. He did start with his back towards the audience.

I agree with Frank, it was all about building a climax. Making the audience wait. Alot of people would leave the gigs because Morrison would make them wait for long periods of time, if he felt they weren't paying attention.

I've read, Noone Here Gets Out Alive a few times, and I'm currently reading Life, Death, Legend. They are ok reads. I can't seem to find Riders On The Storm, which is John Densmore's book.

Hollywood Bowl is a great live gig to watch, although, I believe some of the vocals are dubbed. But I really dig the dvd Soundstage Performances. It has a fucking spectacular version of The End, which is performed for TV in Toronto Canada.

Not To Touch The Earth is part of Celebration Of The Lizard right? I fucking love that song live, but never really cared for the studio version which is on Waiting For The Sun.

I wish I was made of money. I'd go to www.thedoors.com and buy all of those cd's of soundboard quality shows. Boston 1970 being one I'd like most.

Not To Touch The Earth is part of Celebration Of The Lizard right? I fucking love that song live, but never really cared for the studio version which is on Waiting For The Sun.

I wish I was made of money. I'd go to www.thedoors.com and buy all of those cd's of soundboard quality shows. Boston 1970 being one I'd like most.

Yeah!! Not To Touch The Earth kicks ass!!! did you ever hear Whiskey, Mystics & Men?

I've read, Noone Here Gets Out Alive a few times, and I'm currently reading Life, Death, Legend. They are ok reads. I can't seem to find Riders On The Storm, which is John Densmore's book.

Densmore's book is a great read and more "grounded" in reality than the other takes on their career.

He tends to cut through the "Jim was a mystical shaman" angle that Manzarek likes to perpetuate (in order to keep the myth alive and the cash flowing).

Sugarman was guilty of that as well.

Densmore tends to present Jim more as a human being with flaws...tragic flaws.

There's another really good book that concentrates on their live performances.It's called "The Doors On The Road".

It traces their live history back to Rick and the Ravens 1965 right through to Jim's on stage meltdown in New Orleans in 1970....and right through to their final live performance as the Doors without Morrison in 1972.

It's a fairly detailed book (lists opening bands etc.) and there is a great list of existing bootlegs etc.

It's worthy of getting...if you're REALLY into the Doors.It celebrates the magic (and tragic) of the Door's live history.

Edited by zint61

Bebop players used to do that. They had the idea that they were playing for themselves and did not care if people liked it or not (a lot of people didnt like it at first). So they turned their backs on the audience, played like mofos and pleased themselves.

Bebop players used to do that. They had the idea that they were playing for themselves and did not care if people liked it or not (a lot of people didnt like it at first). So they turned their backs on the audience, played like mofos and pleased themselves.

That's cool, but I also read that Jim did it because he was shy.

For the record Stu Sutcliffe of The Beatles also played with his back to the audience.

Patricia Kenneallys book is really good too, for anyone who doesnt think she's some Yoko Ono type. apparently she owns a collection of jims writing but she hasnt released it or anything yet but promised to at some anniversary, some auspicious date marking something or other, its like 2012 or...thats just a total guess i cant remember but i got the book and its in there.

It's a shame about The Doors.

Morrison was a great frontman but over the years - especially since their resurgence in popularity that was triggered by the film in '91 and caused younger people to start listening again - he has almost become interchangeable with The Doors in pop culture consciousness. I've told people I like The Doors and they're like, "Oh, I hate Jim Morrison." It always turns out they think he's overrated because they don't follow him as an icon. Very rarely are these people actually familiar with any of the music except for the radio edited "Light My Fire" and maybe "L.A. Woman." It's sad.

The Doors was a great, great, great band - but Morrison's poet-for-a-generation legend status has kind of taken the focus away from the music and placed a stronger emphasis on his own life.

But truly, The Doors were the greatest live band ever. Live in Boston 1970 was just released on CD - buy it.

Not really on topic but..

What are the top 5 songs for getting into the doors -_-

Go!

1. Light My Fire

2. L.A. Woman

3. Break On Through (to the Other Side)

4. Back Door Man

5. Soul Kitchen

These are good starting points, but they are truly a band where - once you get into them - a lot of their more "obscure" songs (like Hyacinth House) start to become treasured amongst the fans. For instance, I love L.A. Woman because it has all these really great blues-style songs like "Cars Hiss By My Window" and "Been Down So Long" which has the greatest song opening ever (not really, but I love it). Once you get into The Doors, you start to find special things in most of their songs. Unfortunately, they also have quite a few mediocre songs, but if you pick up their self-titled album, Morrison Hotel and L.A. Woman, you can do no wrong. Then later on get Strange Days (People Are Strange is an excellent song) and the other two.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Go!

1. Light My Fire

2. L.A. Woman

4. Back Door Man

5. Soul Kitchen

These are good starting points, but they are truly a band where - once you get into them - a lot of their more "obscure" songs (like Hyacinth House) start to become treasured amongst the fans. For instance, I love L.A. Woman because it has all these really great blues-style songs like "Cars Hiss By My Window" and "Been Down So Long" which has the greatest song opening ever (not really, but I love it). Once you get into The Doors, you start to find special things in most of their songs. Unfortunately, they also have quite a few mediocre songs, but if you pick up their self-titled album, Morrison Hotel and L.A. Woman, you can do no wrong. Then later on get Strange Days (People Are Strange is an excellent song) and the other two.

In other words by their first album.

Go!

Buy/download the first album, man, it's one of the best debuts ever. In fact, you should get their albums in chronological order - it's all good.

Edited by Lithium

Go!

1. Light My Fire

2. L.A. Woman

4. Back Door Man

5. Soul Kitchen

In other words by their first album.

Yeah, really.

Densmore's book is a great read and more "grounded" in reality than the other takes on their career.He tends to cut through the "Jim was a mystical shaman" angle that Manzarek likes to perpetuate (in order to keep the myth alive and the cash flowing).Sugarman was guilty of that as well.Densmore tends to present Jim more as a human being with flaws...tragic flaws.There's another really good book that concentrates on their live performances.It's called "The Doors On The Road".It traces their live history back to Rick and the Ravens 1965 right through to Jim's on stage meltdown in New Orleans in 1970....and right through to their final live performance as the Doors without Morrison in 1972.It's a fairly detailed book (lists opening bands etc.) and there is a great list of existing bootlegs etc.It's worthy of getting...if you're REALLY into the Doors.It celebrates the magic (and tragic) of the Door's live history.
How far apart was the New Orleans meltdown to the Boston shows in 1970? I just downloaded two audio shows from a torrent, and Morrison sounds pretty bad.That book sounds real fucking interesting though. I'll have to look around.
It's a shame about The Doors.Morrison was a great frontman but over the years - especially since their resurgence in popularity that was triggered by the film in '91 and caused younger people to start listening again - he has almost become interchangeable with The Doors in pop culture consciousness. I've told people I like The Doors and they're like, "Oh, I hate Jim Morrison." It always turns out they think he's overrated because they don't follow him as an icon. Very rarely are these people actually familiar with any of the music except for the radio edited "Light My Fire" and maybe "L.A. Woman." It's sad.The Doors was a great, great, great band - but Morrison's poet-for-a-generation legend status has kind of taken the focus away from the music and placed a stronger emphasis on his own life. But truly, The Doors were the greatest live band ever. Live in Boston 1970 was just released on CD - buy it.
I just downloaded it from a torrent, as I don't think it's available in stores. Morrison sounds pretty bad. Sounds much better in the Detroit 1970 show.

Densmore's book is a great read and more "grounded" in reality than the other takes on their career.

He tends to cut through the "Jim was a mystical shaman" angle that Manzarek likes to perpetuate (in order to keep the myth alive and the cash flowing).

Sugarman was guilty of that as well.

Densmore tends to present Jim more as a human being with flaws...tragic flaws.

There's another really good book that concentrates on their live performances.It's called "The Doors On The Road".

It traces their live history back to Rick and the Ravens 1965 right through to Jim's on stage meltdown in New Orleans in 1970....and right through to their final live performance as the Doors without Morrison in 1972.

It's a fairly detailed book (lists opening bands etc.) and there is a great list of existing bootlegs etc.

It's worthy of getting...if you're REALLY into the Doors.It celebrates the magic (and tragic) of the Door's live history.

How far apart was the New Orleans meltdown to the Boston shows in 1970? I just downloaded two audio shows from a torrent, and Morrison sounds pretty bad.

That book sounds real fucking interesting though. I'll have to look around.

i got the Miami one where he sings Five To One depicted in the Doors movie. and his movie, the student movie he made? i got that too, its fucking incredible :)

Edited by ffrankwhite

How far apart was the New Orleans meltdown to the Boston shows in 1970? I just downloaded two audio shows from a torrent, and Morrison sounds pretty bad.

Boston was Fri. Apr. 10 1970

Early show was at 7pm...the second show was scheduled for 10 pm but didn't start until 12:18 am

(sound familiar??)

The Hall Manager cuts the power to the stage around 2 am...but the p.a. is still live.Morrison growls "cocksuckers"..."we should all get together and have some fun,because THEY are going to win if you let 'em".

Manzarek leaps from his keyboards and cups Jim's mouth,and reminds him the LAST thing they need is more controversy on an already heavily scrutinized tour.Morrison angrily smashed his mic stand into the floor and follows Ray off stage.

New Orleans was Saturday Dec. 12 1970 :it was Jim's last performance with the Doors

So quite a bit of time passed between those two shows.