So I am surfing round the tv.....

Gunzen

....Justin Timberlake. My wife and I watch for about 15 -20 min (bout 2 songs), .I understand that he is cool, and to some extent talented, so I am not a hater. But the fact that a watered down hip-hop white guy who is still nursing the teet of boy band status is filling the Madisom Square Garden and my big screen just makes a bit sad.

If there was was ever a time to save music, it is now. I swear I didn't hear more than two cords the whole time I was listening, nor did Justin ever get out of falsetto long enough to carry a melody/note, wow, it was crazy. If he and Gwen Stefani ever got together, I think it would kill all sheet music and spontaneously combust every non electronic piece of musical equipment that has ever been made.

As Michael Keaton in Gung Ho so eloquently put it..."Nows the time babe!"

I understand that he is cool, and to some extent talented, so I am not a hater. But the fact that a watered down hip-hop white guy who is still nursing the teet of boy band status is filling the Madisom Square Garden and my big screen just makes a bit sad.

It's Axl's own fault that he isn't there. If he had released an album last year, he could have made a huge impact. Now he's just making people mad - again.

I think it's been highly underestimated by record companies how many real music fans there are out there waiting for someone like Axl to come along and give music a kick in the ass. For me real music started to die out after 97. Much Music, MTV, and record companies started hyping Boy bands and manufactured pop like The Back Street Boys, N SYNC, and Britney Spears. Rap became the most popular form of music despite the fact that the most talented rappers were either dead(Tupac and Eazy E) or their best music was behind them(Ice-T, Public Enemy, Dr Dre). In a sense rap has become bloated like 80's hair metal was, and I think something is going to come along and knock it on its ass, and that something just might be an aging rock star with corn rows. I still believe in the power and charisma of Axl fucking Rose and that's why I'm still here.

Edited by Randy Lahey

I think it's been highly underestimated by record companies how many real music fans there are out there waiting for someone like Axl to come along and give music a kick in the ass. For me real music started to die out after 97. Much Music, MTV, and record companies started hyping Boy bands and manufactured pop like The Back Street Boys, N SYNC, and Britney Spears. Rap became the most popular form of music despite the fact that the most talented rappers were either dead(Tupac and Eazy E) or their best music was behind them(Ice-T, Public Enemy, Dr Dre). In a sense rap has become bloated like 80's hair metal was, and I think something is going to come along and knock it on its ass, and that something just might be an aging rock star with corn rows. I still believe in the power and charisma of Axl fucking Rose and that's why I'm still here.

dont think I could have said it any better, especially the part about wrap being bloated like hair metal was. good analogy, I think deep down inside we all think there is a least a chance that Axl's music could be the Nirvana of the 2000's . It is a hell of a reach, but watching JT dance around and sing with harmonizers/synths and back up singers just made me long for some real music. Nice post Randy, you nailed it.

I agree the music scene is ripe for a new movement ala the Seattle scene of the 90's, for sure. If you think an aged rocker way past his prime, who's been slaving away on a schizophrenic collection of a 100 some songs with a revolving door band roster for over a decade, is going to somehow be the one to initiate that change though... well I just don't see it happening :) (especially if the leaks are any indication). Its always new and young talent, like GNR in 1987 or Nirvana in 1991, that seems to bring about the real music scene shifts with their fresh sounds and ideas.

Edited by Ant

I think if the music industries gonna change, its gonna be something along of the lines of what Mike Patton does with music... instead of making some brand new style of music thats gonna get watered down in under 10 years, I think music styles should be fused together to take music, rather than a further step into the narrow hole its becoming, a step back into the general views of music fans everywhere. To hell with genres, its not one genre that needs saving, after all, its music as a whole that needs saving.

I don't think there's been a real "rock star" since Marilyn Manson came on the scene, and before Manson, Axl was the last. Atleast he (Manson) tried to bring back some of the rockstar qualities ( pissing parents off, making headlines for some "outrageous" thing he's done, etc). I don't see any iconic frontmen in any of these newer bands.

I don't think there's been a real "rock star" since Marilyn Manson came on the scene, and before Manson, Axl was the last. Atleast he (Manson) tried to bring back some of the rockstar qualities ( pissing parents off, making headlines for some "outrageous" thing he's done, etc). I don't see any iconic frontmen in any of these newer bands.

what about Les Claypool? I think that he'll end up iconic someday for the way he plays bass... he is an amazing bassist(although I usually can't stand his voice, an amazing bassist all in all). Or Mike Patton? Even in Buckethead's solo stuff, you could call him an iconic front man, since his band's front man is him with guitar.

Just because they aren't super popular doesn't mean they won't become legends, after all, lots of artists get post-humorous fame, like Hendrix.

First off all, those that you mentioned came around BEFORE Manson. And I was referring to frontmen that are considered true "rock stars". Guys that live the "rock star" lifestyle.You know, the David Lee Roth's, the Jim Morrison's, the Robert Plant's, Axl Rose's, guys like that. I just don't really see anyone with that "attitude" or whatever you want to call it, these days.Manson is the last one, that I can think of, to even attempt to bring some of that back.

I really dont understand where some of you are getting thoe whole "Axl might be the one to change music" thing, that just cracks me up.

If anything is going to change anything in music it will be a real band, just like GNR were when they crawled out of the gutter.

Edited by sweetness