Trent Reznor wants you to steal music.

Estranged Reality

fuckin idiot man I cant stand him. while the buisness is in a downwhirl spiral due to downloading hes telling people to do just that.

I think its a great thing. Only 4 of the 35 top earners in the industry get more money from recordings than live performance.

We've been getting ripped off for years, its about time we get music for free.

Fuck that. I can spend $10 on an album that will last me years.

I can't keep spending $200 on two hours of live entertainment. Drop the fucking live prices, not all this recorded crap. You want ripoff? How about the $30 "Convenience fee," the $15 "venue fee," and the $10 "processing fee," Ticketmaster adds on to your ticket that was already $150 without all that crap?

Apparently $10 would be stealing in Australia, which he is referencing to..

He isn't saying just blindly steal music..He's saying steal it if they're selling it to you at an unfair price..

I guess some CD's can get around $30 bucks down under.. :blink:

At that price, I'd want to steal that shit, too..

fuckin idiot man I cant stand him. while the buisness is in a downwhirl spiral due to downloading hes telling people to do just that.

you obviously have no idea why he's telling them to steal it. The Year Zero CD was being sold at a very high price in Australia, something like the equivalent of $40-$50 US because thats what his label wanted (don't know why). Trent obviously is pissed off about this, cause he cares about his fans so he's telling them to rebel agaisnt his label. calling him a "fucking idiot" for telling his fans to stand up againt his label for screwing them over is pretty unthoughtful. that's why Trent dropped his label and is now indie

Edited by RJ88

He isn't saying just blindly steal music..He's saying steal it if they're selling it to you at an unfair price..

I've seen CD's go for $35 US here, which is the shit Trent is referring to.

I've seen CD's go for $35 US here, which is the shit Trent is referring to.

is it true that Survivalism was first priced at $50 down there?

trent is just speaking the truth, we all know that if metallica weren't big rock stars they'd be downloading too

i do however buy cds i want but i don't have any problem with people downloading, i just like to have the cd and book etc.

Is it just me or is Trent trying too hard to be rebellious?

atleast he's talking to the fans

it's more then what Axl has does

Trent does a lot more than axl...for example trent doesnt fuck with his fans by telling them an albums coming out(over and over again) and never release's it....axl sucks compared to most other musicians...personally I'm getting sick of the axl-cock-sucking on this site...

I'm quite sure that if Mr Reznor had earned fuck all over the last few years he wouldn't be so quick to call us all to arms.

Call me a cynic.

The music industry works both ways.

Whilst it's great that a lot of commercially successful bands can give away their work for nothing and still profit (because, let's face it, they still do, regardless) it doesn't work for new bands who still have to rely on the regular methods to promote themselves.

I do disagree with paying full price for 30 year old Pink Floyd albums though.

Edited by murray_TH

I don't have a problem buying good music. I love having something tangible to hold onto. When I download shit, I just find myself taking it for granted. When I have an actual record with the whole package, I can cherish that shit and adore it forever.

Regular CDs should never go above $20, though. That's highway robbery. If all CDs were $10, that would be fantastic.

You missed the point he was making. He spoke out a number of months ago about how the label was ripping off fans in Australia by selling his CD for about $39. When he asked execs why it was so high there when it was selling in the U.S. for $10 or $12, he was told that they raised the prices in areas where he had a hardcore fan base, which guaranteed the CD would sell. Trent was outraged about this because he felt his diehard fans were being penalized for being fans. This is why he asked the fans during the show if they had seen prices come down over the past few months. When they replied 'no' - that's when he encouraged them to just steal it.

However, I did notice that Trent conveniently waited until after he had left the label to do this. I imagine he would have been taking a huge risk by making this comment if he still had to work with people from the label.

whats the point in wasting $30 on an album that has maybe 3 decent songs on it? I don't mind buying greatest hits cd's they are good value.

None of Trent's albums have fillers. Virtually every song on every album is a work of art.

Is it just me or is Trent trying too hard to be rebellious?

Trent has always had a mind of his own.

He's one of the few musicians who refuses to form partnerships with companies, like Victoria Secret, to help finance his tour. Even when he used a Mac Computer as the focal point of his "Only" vid, he didn't receive a penny from Apple to do this. He used the computer as part of his art - and feels that forming corporate partnerships could compromise the integrity of his art.