Led Zeppelin vs The Rolling Stones vs The Who

ffrankwhite

whether your reasons be personal preference or opinion regarding their importance or historical context, please state which or even if its both and put em in the order (the bands, not the reasons) dont have to explain yourself but it'll be less boring if you do having said that im not going to because i have a tendancy to ramble and its getting old :lol: so yeah, go on...

1) The Who

2) The Stones

3) Led Zeppelin

your turns :)

Stones...by a mile

ummmmmmmm......I like the other two for different reasons,but I'll put it this way,if The Who and Zep were in town on the same night I'd be at the Zep gig.

I knew a guy in my neighbourhood who saw 70's era Stones,Who,Floyd,Cooper,Bowie...you name it...anything that was happening at the time ,and travelled great distances to do so...he even camped out for days and scored tickets for the Keith Richards/Stones benefit for the Blind concert...(which was his sentence for heroin possesion)

anyhow...he said nothing came close to Zep live

He loves all those bands,just fucking lived for rock.But he said the Zep experience live was untouchable.

Stones...by a mile

ummmmmmmm......I like the other two for different reasons,but I'll put it this way,if The Who and Zep were in town on the same night I'd be at the Zep gig.

I knew a guy in my neighbourhood who saw 70's era Stones,Who,Floyd,Cooper,Bowie...you name it...anything that was happening at the time ,and travelled great distances to do so...he even camped out for days and scored tickets for the Keith Richards/Stones benefit for the Blind concert...(which was his sentence for heroin possesion)

He loves all those bands,just fucking lived for rock.But he said the Zep experience live was untouchable.

how about if it was The Who and The Zep in their prime on the same night?

I honestly have no idea what to answer.

the onliest way i could work it out, based on my limited knowledge is...The Who beat the Stones out based on sheer inventiveness...it didnt take long for the stones to just become a self parody. still brilliant in that respect but it is what it is. sure the Who were teetering on the edge of that cliff themselves but they never went so willingly headlong into it, their music was always sort of questioning the whole thing as opposed to diving headlong in and celebrating it and just becoming a reflection of themselves. and Zeppelin well...not that they werent progressive or inventive but...it didnt really...i dunno how to explain but...The Who seemed to just go out there more, invent more, rock operas and all of that...just REALLY out there...not that Zep werent, they were musically inventive but it was all within the framework of that bluesy bad ass riffin' rock n roll, which aint a bad thing...but The Who's kind of...i dunno, i think i've explained myself enough here and if i ramble on (no pun) i might run the risk of saying something a little stupid and skewing my point.

n.b. i class The Who as the entity that included Keith Moon...anything after that i dont class as The Who...The Who is including Moonie, anything outside of that is not the same The Who, i know some bands can...operate without certain members and have, through history existed and worked with minimal sonic difference but...Moonie was SUCH an important ingridient, the engine of the whole band, those players NEEDED each other SOOO badly, more than any other band that immediately springs to mind to be who they were. Moonie werent just a beat-keeper, he was a fuckin cacophonous orchestra in his own right, with those sublime drum fills and...he was almost like the drummers equivlent of a lead guitarist, same with John, he didnt JUST keep the rhythm, there was just SO much more there...Townshend was the mastermind, the songwriter, the heart and so..im over-doing this :lol:

Stones...by a mile

how about if it was The Who and The Zep in their prime on the same night?

ouch!

ummmm.....

uh...

hmmm...

Considering at the time I was a bigger Who fan I probably would have gone for the Who.

From this vantage point now...like a time travel back sort of thing...I think I'd go to a prime Zep concert.

I honestly have no idea what to answer.

It's quite tough..

I went for The Who, because they are probably the greatest band ever. Im not sure if they're greater

than Beatles and Pink Floyd. That would be an question which would be impossible to answer.

Just liten to Live At Leeds, best live-album ever by the way, My Generation, Quadrophenia, Who Are You

and all their other albums, including the greatest album ever, only beaten by The Dark Side Of The Moon,

Who's Next! That album is a masterpiece and makes Zeppelins album look like rubbish in comparison.

I love Zeppelin, but there is no way they can compare with The Who or Rolling Stones.

The Who had Pete Townshend, the guy who invented the windmill, he had 8x12 Marshalls, he was loud, he was

insane! The first real guitar-hero. The cooles guy ever!

Roger Daltrey, the greatest rock'n'roll singer in history.

It's a shame that both John Entwistle and Keith Moon has left us :( Listen to John's basslines, they are truly astonishing!

And a drummer like Keith Moon will world never see again. RIP :(

How can anyone prefer The Stones to Zeppelin?

Led Zeppelin had the better songs, the better singer and the better musicians.

They are better in like every way.

Elaborate.

Mick Jagger doesn't have a really good voice, whereas Robert Plant is one of the best singers ever. And no one can tell me that Keith Richards is better on guitar then Jimmy Page, that's just not true. Jimmy Page is a guitar hero. Keith Richards wrote some cool stuff on guitar, but everyone who has played gutiar for a while can play what he plays. John Bonham and John Paul Jones are superior to their counterparts in the Stones.

And Led Zeppelin made some amazing songs, some psychodelic stuff, some Rock N' Roll stuff, very big variety. The Stones just keep making their pop rock songs.

How can anyone prefer The Stones to Zeppelin?

Led Zeppelin had the better songs, the better singer and the better musicians.

They are better in like every way.

Elaborate.

Mick Jagger doesn't have a really good voice, whereas Robert Plant is one of the best singers ever. And no one can tell me that Keith Richards is better on guitar then Jimmy Page, that's just not true. Jimmy Page is a guitar hero. Keith Richards wrote some cool stuff on guitar, but everyone who has played gutiar for a while can play what he plays. John Bonham and John Paul Jones are superior to their counterparts in the Stones.

And Led Zeppelin made some amazing songs, some psychodelic stuff, some Rock N' Roll stuff, very big variety. The Stones just keep making their pop rock songs.

I love the Stones. But that is so true.

Interesting, I'll try to answer.

The Who (ranked third)

I like The Who, but I wouldn't rate them as one of my favorite bands. I have this 'ultimate Collection' thing and a barely ever listen to the first disc (it has Baba O Reilly on it, and that saves it; alright, maybe Pinball wizard too); the second disc I like much much more, but still there are quite a few tunes I don't enjoy. I have listened to a few of their albums (can't remember which to be honest, but I know one of them was Who's Next) once or twice, but it wasn't enough to get me hooked. I don't know, the way I see it, when it comes to the Who it's about much more than the music. It's a spirit, it's a state of mind, it's a way of thinking, or even a way of life, it's an attitude. An attitude which I don't have. It doesn't represent me. I like listening to them, but I don't love them like I do others bands. Sure, there are a few of their songs that I rank among my favorites overall, but as a whole their music just isn't my thing.

Another thing: Entwistle is one of my favorite bassists and Daltrey is one of my favorite vocalists.

Led Zeppelin (ranked second)

Wow, Zeppelin!.... What can I say, fucking amazing! They do something to me, something I just can't understand, they're fucking addictive - when I start listening to Zeppelin, I just can't fucking stop. Amazing riffs, hooking me up and not letting me go, a dazing voice, exceptional melodies and harmonies.

I don't know, the voice, the fucking voice, it's not great on its own, but put it in the setting, I don't know, it lifts the music to a whole different level. And those vocal melodies they are perfect, no note is wrong, everything fits perfectly, and it's, how should I put it, it gets you high, makes you drunk, gives you chills but at the same time it gives me inner peace, cools me down, hell it's fucking outstanding when it comes to communicating with the subconscious. Look, I can't explain this properly, just listen to 3:17-3:43 in Ten Years Gone - that's what I'm talking about.

The guitar - see description above (all of it applies, including the 3:17-3:43 part)

As for Bonham, he is by far, by very very far, light years my favorite drummer. He is in fact the only drummer that I actually notice when I listen to music (constantly, not just for a few seconds here and there). Hell, he's the only drummer who I actually enjoy listening (I mean, ONLY listening to him, focusing on the drumming as the main layer of music, not just another sound in the composition).

Lyrics too! Sure, most are about mean women and repeating the same subject again and again does get boring, but some are just so beautiful. And they don't come across as forced, nobody tried too hard to make them, you can tell they come out naturally (don't say they come out naturally because they're stolen cuz that's mean)

But as always the sum matters more than the parts. And the sum here is so much greater than the sum of the parts. Led Zeppelin is for me just something great, something that makes one feel small, like standing on the edge of a great desert gazing into its seeming infinity or something like that. I like epic, I like grandeur and in music these guys give me exactly that.

The Rolling Stones (ranked first)

Hmmm.... how should I put this.... I like them better than those I ranked second (read the Led Zeppelin comment)

They have something of everything and I love ALL of their work. They have more songs that I like than any other artist. They are amazing live (I have a few dvd's AND I have seen them live! they're the only 'big' band I've seen live, but that's not the reason, well not the main reason anyway, why I ranked them first here). I don't know, they're just fucking awesome. What else is there to say?