Oasis Albums come out on top in Q Magazine / HMV Poll

jack99

Rock group Oasis has claimed the top two spots in a poll of Britain’s best ever albums released today, ahead of iconic albums by The Beatles and Pink Floyd.

Oasis’s 1994 album Definitely Maybe and (What’s the Story) Morning Glory from 1996 came number one and two respectively, according to a survey by Q magazine and retailer HMV to find the 50 best ever British albums.

Radiohead’s OK Computer came in third, while the Beatles’ Revolver could only finish fourth in the survey of 11,000 people.

Two other albums by Oasis made it into the top 25 -- Don’t Believe the Truth, at 14, and Be Here Now, at 22.

“It’s clear that, having polled three times more votes than any other act, Oasis are undoubtedly the nation’s most loved band,” said Paul Rees, editor of Q magazine.

Rudy Osorio, HMV head of music, said people were starting to “recognise the iconic appeal of Oasis and the brilliance of Definitely Maybe as an era-defining album”.

The full list of 50 British albums was heavily dominated by rock bands, including The Clash, Pink Floyd, Queen and Arctic Monkeys.

Five albums by the Beatles made it onto the list. The only female artist to be included was Amy Winehouse, whose Back to Black came in at number 35.

THE TOP 10

1. Definitely Maybe - Oasis

2. (What’s the Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis

3. OK Computer – Radiohead

4. Revolver - The Beatles

5. Stone Roses - Stone Roses

6. Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

7. London Calling - The Clash

8. Under the Iron Sea - Keane

9. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

10. Urban Hymns - The Verve.

Click here to view the complete list.

Source: thewest.com.au

Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory are my two favorite albums of the last 16 years. Definitely Maybe was always the soundtrack to a night of binge drinking and Morning Glory was the soundtrack of my hangover. There's nothing like listening to Champagne Supernova and reflecting on your hazey memories from the night before.

Edited by Randy Lahey

im the biggest Oasis fan going but, personally, the fact that the who aint on that list is a fucking disgrace to be honest. its just complete bullshit but all toppermost of the poppermost lists are so who gives a fuck, good for oasis, i love em so there ya go. The Beatles should just be 1 to 10 of that entire list :lol: sex pistols anyone?

Edited by ffrankwhite

Come on, I love Oasis but number one and two?! that's ridiculous... They should be pretty high imo but definitely not at the top spots.

And wtf? Only two Stones albums in the entire list? At nr 48 and 50, that's just dumb when bands like Keane have to albums in the top 15 :confused:

Where was Nevermind The Bollocks?!!

Outrageous.

Makes me glad I don't read Q.

:lol:

xDSGx

EDIT: FUCKING KEANE?!

FUCK OFF FUCKING KEANE!!

BEST BRITISH ALBUMS MY ARSE.

:anger:

Chill out. Under the Iron Sea is actually a good album. I say this as someone who hated the first and piano bands in general.

This is Q magazine and it does seem to support certain bands regardless. Oasis are one of them. The fact it was done in conjunction with HMV might explain it too.

I'm surprised Radiohead didn't take the top two spots.

Besides, at the end of the day, it's only a list.

Edited by ADPT

Rock group Oasis has claimed the top two spots in a poll of Britain’s best ever albums released today, ahead of iconic albums by The Beatles and Pink Floyd.

Oasis’s 1994 album Definitely Maybe and (What’s the Story) Morning Glory from 1996 came number one and two respectively, according to a survey by Q magazine and retailer HMV to find the 50 best ever British albums.

Radiohead’s OK Computer came in third, while the Beatles’ Revolver could only finish fourth in the survey of 11,000 people.

Two other albums by Oasis made it into the top 25 -- Don’t Believe the Truth, at 14, and Be Here Now, at 22.

“It’s clear that, having polled three times more votes than any other act, Oasis are undoubtedly the nation’s most loved band,” said Paul Rees, editor of Q magazine.

Rudy Osorio, HMV head of music, said people were starting to “recognise the iconic appeal of Oasis and the brilliance of Definitely Maybe as an era-defining album”.

The full list of 50 British albums was heavily dominated by rock bands, including The Clash, Pink Floyd, Queen and Arctic Monkeys.

Five albums by the Beatles made it onto the list. The only female artist to be included was Amy Winehouse, whose Back to Black came in at number 35.

THE TOP 10

1. Definitely Maybe - Oasis

2. (What’s the Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis

3. OK Computer – Radiohead

4. Revolver - The Beatles

5. Stone Roses - Stone Roses

6. Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

7. London Calling - The Clash

8. Under the Iron Sea - Keane

9. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

10. Urban Hymns - The Verve.

Click here to view the complete list.

Source: thewest.com.au

The Stones Roses debut album is 10 times better than both Oasis albums in my opinion; But with that said I think you could make a legititmate arguement with the Oasis albums being above Ok Computer. I myself personally like the Radiohead album better, though.

And how the hell did Keane's album make the Top 10. I can name numerous British bands (Blur, Starsailor, Travis, Elbow etc) that have released better records.

Off Topic:

I will say that I have always thought if Oasis had of taken the first 5 songs from each their first 2 albums and made 1 album

It would have been the best album ever made. Not just from a critical standpoint, but a sales as well.

Edited by SunnyDRE

Definitely Maybe really is awesome. Critics just wanted to hate them because they were arrogant, brash, cocky, and exceedingly popular. The Stone Roses debut should have come before Morning Glory, though.

I don't really care about the other stuff to be honest... and while I recognize it's historical significance, personally I think Sgt. Peppers sucks :).

Edited by Ant

That was pretty poor, I wonder if the Brits realise that Britain has more than 5 bands :unsure:

The Brits are just a load of cokeheads getting together try to meet famous people.

That list is fucking awful. Have some respect.

Oasis are a good band but taking the 2 top spots pure BS. I'm sure Noel would disagree but I'd slap some sense in to his scally head. I love Oasis but c'mon they aren't even the original Beatles.