destroy this album

fred_carston

queen without freddie is wrong

http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2266888,00.html

With Paul Rodgers standing in for Freddie, Queen will release their first studio album in 13 years and set out on a massive world tour

Sean Michaels

Thursday March 20, 2008

guardian.co.uk

Rocking most of the cosmos ... Paul Rodgers and Brian May. Photograph: AFP

"If I'm not back again this time tomorrow," Freddie Mercury sang, "Carry on, carry on, as if nothing really matters." Well it seems that Queen have finally taken that suggestion to heart: for the first time in 13 years, the band will be releasing a new studio album, The Cosmos Rocks - followed by a massive worldwide tour.

Rest assured, it's not an exercise in artistic disinterment. They have not taken the typical hip-hop route, or even the path that the Beatles chose circa Real Love; the late, great Mercury will not have demos resurrected or his voice computer-generated. Instead, as on 2005 and 2006 tours, vocals will be provided by Paul Rodgers, the former lead singer of Free and Bad Company.

Though the tour will be billed as "Queen + Paul Rodgers", it's not yet clear whether the album will bear the annoying "plus Paul" appendix, or if they will go with just-plain-Queen.

The Cosmos Rocks will be released September 1. Songs were written and produced jointly by Brian May, Roger Taylor and Paul Rodgers, with the exception of one cover song. They're not yet telling us what the cover is, which - as always - leads us to speculate. Perhaps a track by the Queen-aping Mika or similarly glam Scissor Sisters? A tribute to a pal such as David Bowie? Or maybe the band have made their choice solely based on band-names, and we're in for a Queen-covers-Queensryche treat.

Say It's Not True, released last year as a World Aids Day fundraiser, will also be included on the album.

Queen's most recent studio album was 1995's Made In Heaven, featuring Mercury's last recordings. It sold 20 million copies. Their Greatest Hits 1, meanwhile, is the UK's biggest-selling album of all time. So if you're the betting sort, it seems safe to predict that the new one will sell at least, say a dozen copies.

The misleadingly-named Rock the Cosmos 2008 Tour will feature 28 performances spanning Europe and the UK, with South American dates to follow. Though every gig takes place on the planet Earth, they will bravely perform at exotic locales such as Gdansk, Budapest and Birmingham.

Edited by chinademo_2007

queen without freddie is wrong

http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2266888,00.html

With Paul Rodgers standing in for Freddie, Queen will release their first studio album in 13 years and set out on a massive world tour

Sean Michaels

Thursday March 20, 2008

guardian.co.uk

Rocking most of the cosmos ... Paul Rodgers and Brian May. Photograph: AFP

"If I'm not back again this time tomorrow," Freddie Mercury sang, "Carry on, carry on, as if nothing really matters." Well it seems that Queen have finally taken that suggestion to heart: for the first time in 13 years, the band will be releasing a new studio album, The Cosmos Rocks - followed by a massive worldwide tour.

Rest assured, it's not an exercise in artistic disinterment. They have not taken the typical hip-hop route, or even the path that the Beatles chose circa Real Love; the late, great Mercury will not have demos resurrected or his voice computer-generated. Instead, as on 2005 and 2006 tours, vocals will be provided by Paul Rodgers, the former lead singer of Free and Bad Company.

Though the tour will be billed as "Queen + Paul Rodgers", it's not yet clear whether the album will bear the annoying "plus Paul" appendix, or if they will go with just-plain-Queen.

The Cosmos Rocks will be released September 1. Songs were written and produced jointly by Brian May, Roger Taylor and Paul Rodgers, with the exception of one cover song. They're not yet telling us what the cover is, which - as always - leads us to speculate. Perhaps a track by the Queen-aping Mika or similarly glam Scissor Sisters? A tribute to a pal such as David Bowie? Or maybe the band have made their choice solely based on band-names, and we're in for a Queen-covers-Queensryche treat.

Say It's Not True, released last year as a World Aids Day fundraiser, will also be included on the album.

Queen's most recent studio album was 1995's Made In Heaven, featuring Mercury's last recordings. It sold 20 million copies. Their Greatest Hits 1, meanwhile, is the UK's biggest-selling album of all time. So if you're the betting sort, it seems safe to predict that the new one will sell at least, say a dozen copies.

The misleadingly-named Rock the Cosmos 2008 Tour will feature 28 performances spanning Europe and the UK, with South American dates to follow. Though every gig takes place on the planet Earth, they will bravely perform at exotic locales such as Gdansk, Budapest and Birmingham.

I agree it isnt the same without freddy

Paul was Freddie's idol. The reason that he is singing for them is because Brian felt that the only way to carry on the Queen name would be someone Freddie would for sure approve of - who wouldn't approve of their idol singing their songs?

You guys can bitch and moan "Oh, it's not Queen, this is a travesty, yadda yadda yadda." I challenge you to find me someone who saw this band and complained. I grew up a Queen fan, and I bought my tickets to see Q+PR the day they came on sale. It was a dream come true for me. I had always wanted to see them, and always assumed that I wouldn't. Naturally, I went into the show with the same tentativity towards Paul as you all have. He proved me wrong. He masterfully handled the vocals, owned the stage enough to make Freddie proud, and kept the capacity crowd energized for two and a half hours. Might I mention, also, that one of the show's highlights was the song Take Love - a song written by Paul, Brian, and Roger. This band is capable of great things, and things which live up to the Queen name at that. It's a fitting distinction that they add "+ Paul Rodgers" to their moniker, and the music certainly lives up to that combination.

it's not Queen...it's Queen + Paul Rogers....HUGE difference! Say It's Not True is a good song, and i'm glad to see Taylor and May still making music

Freddie would be thrilled to know that they're still going out there and making music

Edited by RJ88

I find it totally laughable that some of you are angry that Queen are continuing as Queen + Paul Rodgers when your own idol is doing the exact same thing without the + part. :rolleyes:

lol exactly, but its still different

Freddie is dead (RIP)....the ex- GNR members all left on their own

Stop the BS, ladies.

Rodgers is a great vocalist. And this album's gonna rock.

Yeah yeah, Queen's not the same without Freddy, yadda yadda yadda. Yes, it's true. Freddy is the best singer in history. But TOUGH SHIT! Freddy's dead, and the music world keeps moving. Rodgers + May = Great music, whether it's called Queen or Rhino Shit.

Why are you denying good music and calling to destroy it? Because it's named this and not that? You're a dumbass.

You CAN'T judge this band before you've seen them live. I bought tickets for the '06 tour thinking I would hate it...I was only going cause Brian May is one of my idols. But I was amazed how Rodgers handled the vocals. They were so different from Freddies, more bluesy and less operatic. It was a totally different band. I'll buy the album the second it goes on sale and hold my breath for another NA tour! rock3

Guest Apollo

what are you guys . . . 13 years old?

WHO CARES WHAT THE NAME OF THE BAND IS!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing the new Queen does NOW will change the strength of their back catalog of songs.

It's ridiculous to act like them keeping the name somehow tarnishes the old queen's music.

what are you guys . . . 13 years old?

WHO CARES WHAT THE NAME OF THE BAND IS!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing the new Queen does NOW will change the strength of their back catalog of songs.

It's ridiculous to act like them keeping the name somehow tarnishes the old queen's music.

It doesn't tarnish the music. However, a name is symbolic, it has meaning. I don't agree with the notion that it's just a name and nothing more. If you are talking about some band that does nothing worthwhile, then yeah, it's just a name. When you are talking about a band like Queen or GN'R then the name begins to carry more weight. People need to look past simply the tangible.