AC/DC shuns iTunes

Zint

link

here's the story:

Is iTunes headed down the "Highway to Hell" as Aussie rock band AC/DC puts it? Recently recording artists and music services are giving iTunes some push back and a run for its money.

Today the band AC/DC says it's bypassing Apple's iTunes and has brokered an exclusive deal with Verizon to sell its music through Verizon's online music store.

Anyone can visit Verizon and buy AC/DC music, but there is a catch. Verizon is not allowing you to buy individual AC/DC songs, rather forcing people to buy entire albums. That means if you want to download the song and bang your head to the AC/DC song Shoot To Thrill you'll have to buy the entire Back In Black album. Back In Black the album through Verizon will run you $11.99 compared to the CD on Amazon that is $9.97. The only track available as a single download is "You Shook Me All Night Long." That is also the only song Verizon Wireless subscribers will be able to buy and download using their mobile phones.

It's a sign of the times. Record labels and artists are starting to stand up to Steve Jobs and iTunes. If this is a growing trend things could get ugly for consumers.

Yesterday music publisher representing rapper Eminem filed suit against Apple for what it claims is the unauthorized sale of the artist's music on the iTunes store. The lawsuit claims that Universal, Eminem's record label, and Apple have been selling Eminem's songs without the publisher's who represent Eminem permission.

This isn't the first time Apple has heard "Hells Bells" in the distance when it comes to anti-iTunes sentiments.

Grumblings from music publishers and artists are getting louder as they become more public about their dissatisfaction with as what they see as Apple's low $.99 price point for tracks. Universal is said to be wavering at renewing its deal with Apple, primarily due to Steve Jobs' refusal to raise song prices and his fervent push for more DRM-free tracks.

That dissatisfaction is only likely to grow as Apple touts accomplishments like it did yesterday when it announced iTunes surpassed 3 billion cumulative downloads.

Where is this all headed?

My opinion is that if music labels and artist get greedy and force higher prices for music, make it hard for fans to find and download just the music they want, and make it hard to manage competing DRM restrictions music piracy will grow.

That's too bad for the industry. Latest report (PDF) from UK-based Entertainment Media Research say here in the US music piracy is down. You can thank the ease, price, and flexibility of finding and buying music on iTunes part for that.

AC/DC are shooting themselves in the foot

They're, erm, Shooting to Thrill.

What they'd Do for Money, those Honeys.

Wal-Mart is taking advantage of them, as if they're Guns For Hire. They're just digging themselves Deep in the Hole with this one. For Those About to Rock, Wal-Mart will be the place to go! It's a Long Way to the music department (If You Wanna Rock and Roll). AC/DC are trying to Let There Be Rock, but Wal-Mart are sentencing them to Rock N' Roll Damnation.

God, I'm a genius. I should write articles filled with bad puns too and get paid by the word.

Wal-Mart is taking advantage of them, as if they're Guns For Hire. They're just digging themselves Deep in the Hole with this one. For Those About to Rock, Wal-Mart will be the place to go! It's a Long Way to the music department (If You Wanna Rock and Roll). AC/DC are trying to Let There Be Rock, but Wal-Mart are sentencing them to Rock N' Roll Damnation.

God, I'm a genius. I should write articles filled with bad puns too and get paid by the word.

Some Dutch dude would probably steal them mind <_<

You've got Big Balls writing stuff like that!

You've got Big Balls writing stuff like that!

He's a real Night Prowler.

If that's they way they want to rock n roll...

v___v

Stop beating around the bush.

He'll get a Stif Upper Lip.

and he's dynamite but there is a big gun on iTunes right now in fact a last action hero created soundtrack. So we should shoot to thrill and shoot to kill Steve Jobsat apple for making a no deal with AC/DC.

v___v

I fully agree, sure is a lot of "Riff Raff", reading all this is sure a "Ballbreaker".If you're tired of being "Snowballed", Let me be a "Squealer" and save you from the pun "Danger" and invite you where "Evil Walks". Take the "Rock N' Roll Train", and "Go Down" to "Sin City", but watch out for the "Black Ice" as you "Ride On" the twisted tracks.When you finally arrive you will be "Back In Black" and the liquor will be "Hard As A Rock", forget about the "Money Talks" and "Have A Drink On Me" because "Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be".