satriani accuses coldplay of plagiarism

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=110261

JOE SATRIANI Accuses COLDPLAY Of Plagiarism; Audio Comparison Available - Dec. 5, 2008

Reuters reports that legendary rock guitarist Joe Satriani has sued COLDPLAY, accusing the Grammy-nominated stars of plagiarizing one of his songs.

Satriani's copyright infringement suit, filed on Thursday in Los Angeles federal court, claims the COLDPLAY song "Viva La Vida" incorporates "substantial original portions" of his 2004 instrumental "If I Could Fly".

The 52-year-old guitar virtuoso is seeking a jury trial, damages and "any and all profits" attributable to the alleged copyright infringement.

Read the entire report from Reuters: http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews...E4B40XU20081205

COLDPLAY's "Viva La Vida" vs. JOE SATRIANI's "If I Could Fly": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ofFw9DKu_I

Edited by Sometimes_Isee_dead_people

Good, Chris Martin thinks he's some kind of legend already and he plans to retire next year because he says people shouldn't be playing in rock bands past 33 or something like that.Well I hope he's sued for all he's worth then hopefully he keeps his word and fucks off from making music,arrogant prick.

i heard some new song on the radio that totally ripped of the Cult's "Fire Woman".

first off, how did the band not know that it was a rip-off, and secondly how can the radio station,

who also plays "Fire Woman" every day, play the song without mentioning the similarity?

Edited by artfromtex

I'm not saying it's impossible that they ripped him off, but every so often in music there's going to be similar things written. I mean, there's only 12 notes, a couple octaves.. Joe Satriani is sort of a niche sort of artist... I mean he certainly has a lot of fans, but I think it could easily be an honest thing. I don't know... law suits like this always seem lame.

i heard some new song on the radio that totally ripped of the Cult's "Fire Woman".

first off, how did the band not know that it was a rip-off, and secondly how can the radio station,

who also plays "Fire Woman" every day, play the song without mentioning the similarity?

What song's that? Would be interested to hear. Huge Cult fan here & I've heard a few people "borrowing" riffs from Billy Duffy. A certain Mr Gallagher springs to mind. Curious coincidence that they're both Man City fans & so maybe Noel thinks that makes it ok lol.

I'm not saying it's impossible that they ripped him off, but every so often in music there's going to be similar things written. I mean, there's only 12 notes, a couple octaves.. Joe Satriani is sort of a niche sort of artist... I mean he certainly has a lot of fans, but I think it could easily be an honest thing. I don't know... law suits like this always seem lame.

K but... same chords, same melody, same key, same time signature, same tempo

ehh, even Dani California/Last Dance With Mary Jane wasnt this bad

Well numbers add up...12 notes lets say seven octaves...and all the timing options available leads to close to endless variations in wich music can be written. Not gonna do the math..but I think you get the point, the number of variations will be extremely high (infinity).

K but... same chords, same melody, same key, same time signature, same tempo

ehh, even Dani California/Last Dance With Mary Jane wasnt this bad

i have to agree it's pretty bad.

i heard this on a sports talk station that i listen to and at first they were raggin on Satch, saying that there's no way anyone in Coldplay has ever heard his music. then they played the songs and were singing a different tune. it's pretty damn obvious.

Good, Chris Martin thinks he's some kind of legend already and he plans to retire next year because he says people shouldn't be playing in rock bands past 33 or something like that.Well I hope he's sued for all he's worth then hopefully he keeps his word and fucks off from making music,arrogant prick.

lol i read that

what a loser. if anything being able to continually release good music after 33 would mean you're a legend. he's probably covering up for the fact that he ran out of ideas

not like i'm complaining, Coldplay sucks

You're talking about that "bad girlfriend" song, you're totally right.