RAMMSTEIN!!! The awesomely epic official thread

Monty

Alrighty then.

Two days later and my body still aches and my voice is still pretty fucked.

Easily the best rock show I've ever seen. Just the perfect blend of great songs, huge choruses, technical precision, amazing lighting, ferocious pyrotechnics and tongue in cheek humor.

There are so many things you can't prepare yourself for just from watching DVD's or Youtube vids...

The first sighting of Till. When those curtains dropped it was just unreal. Six foot tall, six foot wide barrel chest, arms spread wide, his gaze steady and almost contemptuous as he stared over his rampaging masses that he easily controled with a few choice words or simple hand gestures. I've seen plenty of frontmen with real stage presence, but this was something else completely. Like gazing upon a God.

The heat of the pyro. Honestly, it's joked about, but until you're front row and getting blasted with flames from all angles, you can't appreciate the heat it produces. The end of Sonne was like an oven. After the show, people around me were saying they got singed. I believe them.

I was also amazed at just how quickly they slam out the songs. No breaks, no solos, no long instrumental parts - just pure mayhem that leaves you breathless. We didn't even get a ballad to calm things down a bit. Half way through I was kinda praying they'd play Frühling or Ohne Dich but instead they just slammed us with another epic chugging guitar riff. It became a battle of endurance, and plenty of people failed. Chicks were screaming for security to pull 'em over the barrier half way through Rammlied. With every song that followed others would suffer the same fate, usually kneeing or kicking me in the head as they scrambled over the fence. Most intense moshing I've experienced.

So, anyway, my day...

I entered the orange D at about 3:30 to begin the wait for Rammstein. This also allowed me to watch Deftones perform, which I enjoyed immensely. Big crunchy drop d moshing goodness. Chino was great and did these fucking amazing screams throughout the set. Unfortunately the mix was pretty bad with big walls of muddy sound. A photo of Chino:

Cu7UX.jpg

After they finished I made my way closer to the stage. I wasn't right on the fence, but I was close enough to fucking touch it. Close enough to later see the sweat drip from Till's mass of glistening chest hair. :wub:

RVRyQ.jpg

And a photo of all the people behind me that would later crush me.

MN1pN.jpg

During the wait, I had to endure Birds Of Tokyo (excruciating), John Butler (hippie) and Iggy (who I couldn't really see or hear all that well).

But after waiting for the best part of three hours, there was finally the first hints of the glorious epicness that Rammstein were cooking up behind the curtain. The occasional haze of smoke, a guitar being strummed, flashing lights, etc. My fellow Steiner Brothers were an unruly lot and started a "Fuck Off Iggy" chant that I refused to join, but secretly agreed with.

Then it happened!

Rammlied

Best. Opener. Ever.

A celebration of the band and the fans. So good to stand amongst other Rammfans and scream "Ramm-stein" together while getting a good fist pump happening.

I think I sang the Ein Weg, Ein Ziel, Ein Motiv bridge louder than Till.

At the end we got a slight hint of a smile from Till. Glorious.

Waidmanns Heil

Sterben!!!!

Galloping riff, stomping rhythm. Mesmerizing pyro.

Keine Lust

One of the best songs of the night.

Bridge heavy as fuck and awesome.

Feuer Frei!

Fucking madness. Brutal moshing.

Flake made this high-pitched piercing sound on his keyboard that resulted in some stern words and angry gesturing from Till. Same old pantomime, but I still laughed.

Awesome.

Wiener Blut

Sounded good, but I honestly didn't see much. Had my face pressed into someones shoulder blade for most of the song.

I know there was no dolls with lasers! Boo.

Managed a nice scream of "Willkommen!"

Mein Teil

They'd been alternating between this and Ich Tu Dir Weh during the BDO shows, so I wasn't sure which one we'd get. I would have been happy either way, but this was just awesome.

Till acting the clown in his butchers outfit, covered in fake blood, with a massive smile on his face.

I'm fairly certain my screaming of "Denn du bist, was du isst" is what fucked my voice.

Du Riechst So Gut

Riff is made to make people bounce, and we did.

Chorus sung with much gusto.

Benzin

It was around this time that I started hoping for a ballad. Instead they dropped this monster. I tried to see if Till did his extended hammer during the intro, but I couldn't see shit. Huge mosh.

Did see the dude set on fire, though. lolz

Links 234

The batlle march, the "links" chant, Richard's solo... met all expectations. A highlight of a great set.

Du Hast

Obviously the most popular song of the night.

Everyone sang along. Everyone moshed to the riff.

Awesome.

Sonne

Wasn't even a song, more a living fire-breathing monster.

After this, I decided to fall back a few rows in the crowd. Had to escape the heat.

Ich Will

Redefined the word epic. My favourite song, and the best song of the night. Outro was mental.

Wanted to drop a hammer, but there was no room.

Pussy

This was a great way to end the show. Was cool to just sit back and yell the chorus with everyone while having a laugh.

Croaked out a big "Germany!" with what was left of my voice. Got my cum shot from Till.

I might have the order of the songs wrong in the middle. It's a bit of a blur.

Till said his first and only complete sentence in English while they did their bows to the crowd. While he spoke you could have heard a pin drop. When he finished, the crowd erupted with gratitude for the few simple words of thanks and praise for Perth.

Was gonna wait around to watch Tool, but after Rammstein I decided that Tool can get fucked and that I wanted to go home and collapse.

The few photos I took of Rammstein were all during Pussy when I had moved a bit further back (don't worry, still got my cum shot). Before that I was too busy enjoying the show, and it was way too hectic to try and do anything but keep your feet, breath, and rock out.

At60o.jpg

eQy3Z.jpg

E4pbL.jpg

R0LV0.jpg

0Je4p.jpg

wAGA0.jpg

PtyvF.jpg

Amazing.

man not even your amazing review justified how good they were! Good to see it was dark for you when they went on. I'm suprised you didnt get to the front from waiting since the deftones. You Perth-ites... Perth-ins.....Perth-uns...... Perth-ons...... Perthans....:shrugs:

....You perthans must just love good music more than us in QLD.

The memory that still sticks out the most is when Till first moved away from the mic during Rammlied. He was just so fuckin' big and moved with such authority. He seemed to lift the entire crowd with his arms during the "ramm-stein" chant.

Reminded me of that old quote from years ago...

"Mr. Lindemann gave off an air of such brute masculinity and barely contained violence that it seemed that he could have reached into the crowd, snatched up a fan, and bitten off his head."

Satellite Magazine Big Day Out Review

Rammstein.

Fuck. The. Most. Amazing. Performance. I. Have. EVER. Seen. And. Heard. No words can describe the incredibleness of Rammstein. Fire, perfect sound, mouth lights, people on fire, flame throwers, fireworks, guns, knives, incredible lighting rigs and set. AMAZING! They are all I have been listening to since. The lead singer Till Lindemann, 48, had the most amazing stage presence and persona ever! Coming on stage looking like a macabre clown with a red feather collar, bloodied dirty make up, a weird butchery hairnet and to top it all off an LED light rig that made his mouth light up, made me forget the fact I was cold and soaking wet from the annoying persistent rain and become completely fixated on the stage and this amazing German metal band. Personal bliss. ‘Mein Teil’ had to be my favourite song. It began with Till wheeling out this huge vat/cauldron, holding a knife/microphone and a gun. As the song began it was revealed that the band’s keyboardist, Christian ‘Flake’ Lorenz, was IN THE VAT. OK…that’s cool, I thought to myself. Lorenz even had his keyboard with him. But…when the song reached the chorus he aims the gun at the vat, pulls the trigger, and that’s when you find out the gun is actually a flamethrower and Lorenz ducks into the vat just in time as flames engulf it. Fucking incredible. Of course Lorenz is fine, he pops his head back up again. Later Lorenz is chased around the stage by jets of fire that shoot down from the top of the stage at him. Something tells me they don’t like him very much. Rammstein may seem like a scary, German metal band but a lot of humour (albeit black) is present in a fair bit of their music. Some people even refer to their act as a kind of opera. You have no idea what they are saying, but it is all so captivating and beautiful in its own way that you are just mesmerised.

Tool.

They may have been the headlining act but after Rammstein they were just fucking boring.

Totally agree with the opera comparison. :thumbsup: