America's Band

Guest deleted_19765

Guest deleted_19765

Simple question:

What major American Rock band combines popularity, influence, and a representation of America's culture and philosophies best? I started out on a poll for this, but it could have in no way accounted for our diverse tastes wholly.

These occurred to me:

The Beach Boys

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Jefferson Airplane

CSNY

The Grateful Dead

Lynyrd Skynyrd

The Allman Brothers Band

Aerosmith

Van Halen

The Ramones

Guns N' Roses

Metallica

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Nine Inch Nails

Green Day

Nirvana

For me, The Beach Boys embody America more accurately than any other group. If I had made the poll, I would have voted for them. Although, a case can be made for almost all of these bands. Nirvana, for example, represented America in the 1990s the best. There's a strong case for GNR as well, I believe

What do you think?

Edited by AgainstAllOdds

I believe the first two bands of your list, as well as Skynyrd and, to an extent, Allman Brothers and CSNY, are the ones who represent America the best. The bands you suggested, like Nirvana or Guns N' Roses, are more of a result of cultural clashes from all over the western world, ergo a result of an increasing globalization, or maybe occidentalisation, of culture.

When I think of music that is 100% Grade-A American, I think of country, jazz and blues.

Edited by Lithium

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

This is a topic I really don't know anything about, but how about adding The Stooges to the list?

Definitely one of Americas best bands, and after what Frankwhite and Lithium told me once, one of the, and maybe even the most important band.

Here is the topic: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showto...t=0&start=0

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

I love The Stooges and all, but saying they're the most important band to ever come from America is just an overstatement, pure and simple.

As for the question from the OP, I'd have to think about it more. Bruce Springsteen does seem to have that "American sound" to his music, and is also vastly popular. All of those "heartland rock" type groups make me think of America, to be honest, like John Mellencamp and the rest of those guys.

Aerosmith

5 boys from boston who, without gimmicks or music videos, became the worlds greatest hard rock band, mixing american rock n' roll of the 50's with the blues, a true american art form.

They struggled and floundered, and fell, but rose again. Because great americans are challenged to be great time and time again. Fifteen minutes of fame doesn't create a champion that people believe in. The american dream isn't a plateau. It's a mountain, and climbing it twice and never giving up like aerosmith is a story for america.

What major American Rock band combines popularity, influence, and a representation of America's culture and philosophies best?

Alice Cooper

He's delved into American culture on many levels.

This is the band/artist that's been holding a mirror up to American culture and laughing at it...and with it...all the way.

While Springsteen's heroes were picketing at the textile mills...little Betty was at home eating a pound of aspirin.

Guest floyd the barber
What major American Rock band combines popularity, influence, and a representation of America's culture and philosophies best?

Alice Cooper

This is the band/artist that's been holding a mirror up to American culture and laughing at it...and with it...all the way.

While Springsteen's heroes were picketing at the textile mills...little Betty was at home eating a pound of aspirin.

I respectfully disagree.

In terms of record sales from American musicians, the Beach Boys are number 1 on the list. They have three platinum records in Little Deuce Coupe, Pet Sounds, and Still Cruisin' and they have eight other albums that have reached Gold. Additionally, they've reached the charts every single album they've released with the exception of their second to last album in the United States, they've reached the charts on almost every album they've sold in the UK, and they've done quite well in Australia too. Keep in mind that the Beach Boys have released over 25 albums since the 1960's.

Paul McCartney also spoke at their Rock N' Roll HOF. How awesome is that?

Alice Cooper

I respectfully disagree.

In terms of record sales from American musicians, the Beach Boys are number 1 on the list. They have three platinum records in Little Deuce Coupe, Pet Sounds, and Still Cruisin' and they have eight other albums that have reached Gold. Additionally, they've reached the charts every single album they've released with the exception of their second to last album in the United States, they've reached the charts on almost every album they've sold in the UK, and they've done quite well in Australia too. Keep in mind that the Beach Boys have released over 25 albums since the 1960's.

I don't recall this being a thread about which American band has sold the most records.

Guest floyd the barber

Alice Cooper

I respectfully disagree.

I don't recall this being a thread about which American band has sold the most records.

You can't be America's band if you cannot sell albums, obviously the Beach Boys did that and more. Record sales have a lot to do with America's greatest band, don't they?

Simple question:

There's no one-band-personification answer to this question really.

Everyone has hit on important elements.

The Beach Boys delved into American culture and philosophies on a somewhat superficial level....but brilliantly on an artistic level.

Some artists took "popularity, influence" and explored "America's culture and philosophies" further.

Waaaaaaaay further.

the velvet underground.

dirty. sexy. simple.

ed. also didn't write about being on a beach for half their career. albeit, the other half of the beach boys career was spent experimenting and achieved a level of artistic grandeur, but most of vocal-harmony music, for me, sounds contrived and too damn happy (aesthetically) for it to capture the cultural void that is america.

Edited by stevGNR666

Simple question:

There's no one-band-personification answer to this question really.

Everyone has hit on important elements.

The Beach Boys delved into American culture and philosophies on a somewhat superficial level....but brilliantly on an artistic level.

Some artists took "popularity, influence" and explored "America's culture and philosophies" further.

Waaaaaaaay further.

haha, so wrong.

Go look up smile and see what that was all about. That's american history right there.