Chinese Democracy Re-Release Tomorrow

Lose Your Illusions

It's apparently the same CD that was already released just with a different bar code or what not.

The only difference is it will availible at places other than Best Buy.

http://www.target.com/dp/B0038DWYJG/sr=1-2-mmb/qid=1267491370/ref=sr_2_2/181-8198419-3690059?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k:chinese%20democracy&page=1

some other sites have the re release tomorrow

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Democracy-Guns-N-Roses/dp/B0037BBKIK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1266075117&sr=8-13

Edited by Lose Your Illusions

It actually came out today -- got it in where I work and I put it on a feature display. ;)

Do you have monumental promotion to go along with it?

Nope. We got one copy if that means anything.

Better than no copies I guess.

Chinese Democracy Starts (dominating the charts) Now. ;)

So now the record company decides to re-release the cd to other stores and yet no publicity at all this time around. so sad!

I think Axl and GNR deserve better than this. There wasn't any ad in the Target flyer and amazon.com didn't send me any info about it. I always get a newsletter from them regarding recently released cds and since I've bought other GNR stuff from them, you would think they would have sent me an email regarding it?

Someone's dropping the ball yet again. How the hell do they expect GNR to sell any tickets for any US shows without so much as a mention of the release of chinese democracy followed up by maybe a video, a new single and possibly Axl doing some interviews?

This really sucks big time!

I think Axl and GNR deserve better than this.

Someone's dropping the ball yet again. How the hell do they expect GNR to sell any tickets for any US shows without so much as a mention of the release of chinese democracy followed up by maybe a video, a new single and possibly Axl doing some interviews?

The person dropping the ball is Axl. There is nothing stopping him from promoting his album even if the record company could care less. Waiting around for the record company to play wet nurse and do everything for you is just lazyness.

Look at Slash, he has no record deal or label bank rolling him (he financed the album himself), and look at all the promotional stuff he lined up for himself (the Classic Rock magazine issue, the record with Slash/Mike Clink contest) as well as doing little things like the promo video he just put out and a bunch of other stuff. None of it is rocket science, but it requires some effort and a little hustle.

Instead of making it happen even in the face of an unsupportive record company, he instead threw up his hands, and took his ball and went home.

That's certainly his prerogative to do so, but no one should be painting him out as a victim that the label didn't go above and beyond for him when there was plenty he could have done on his own to have saved that album.

The person dropping the ball is Axl. There is nothing stopping him from promoting his album even if the record company could care less. Waiting around for the record company to play wet nurse and do everything for you is just lazyness.

Look at Slash, he has no record deal or label bank rolling him (he financed the album himself), and look at all the promotional stuff he lined up for himself (the Classic Rock magazine issue, the record with Slash/Mike Clink contest) as well as doing little things like the promo video he just put out and a bunch of other stuff. None of it is rocket science, but it requires some effort and a little hustle.

Instead of making it happen even in the face of an unsupportive record company, he instead threw up his hands, and took his ball and went home.

That's certainly his prerogative to do so, but no one should be painting him out as a victim that the label didn't go above and beyond for him when there was plenty he could have done on his own to have saved that album.

I agree with you. But I don't think it was just Axl's fault the album bombed. It probably was also high expectation from fans and music critics, some people that just can't move on, and many people just didn't give it a chance. Also the 6 year old leaks didn't do any good as many people hear the demo's 10 or 20 times and didn't like them or the finished product. What really was Axl to do, a press release, a tour. Maybe some interveiws but thats really the best he could have done. He was on here chatting with use like a week or two after the release and he had that interveiw with Del James. It's obvoius he didn't like the way it all went down and their might have been some things behind the scenes we didn't know about. It was partly Axl's fault, but not in a whole. A video would have helped it get bigger, but maybe have a few more sales if they hear Better 4 times in a row. At least the album came out and were not still waiting for it.

Also , Slash may have financed the album himself, but he has some major well-known artists from today on it. Axl was trying to reinvent something the was huge in the 80's and early 90's. It's not that easy for Axl. Slash's album, which I'm definatly buying, it probably going to have many guitar-driven, riffy songs on it, which isn't bad. But it isn't like he's trying to change his sound and bring the best he can to reivent himself and the GN'R name. There was more weight on Axl's shoulders for Chinese Democracy as there is for Slash's album.

Already been discussed.

When? When the hell did this come up? I see no recent topics pertaining to this.

Few weeks back

This. About 2 weeks ago.

Maybe the Best Buy deal was just for the lulz. Or so Axl could get a Dr. Pepper.

1. The record company should have done more, and should be doing shit now.

2. How'd he throw up his hands and go home??? He's on tour and there's no better promotion than that.

It actually came out today -- got it in where I work and I put it on a feature display. ;)

Monumental promotion was never something anyone in the band talked about. A fan extrapolated about something that was said, and it seems like everybody has been carrying that torch ever since

Monumental promotion was never something anyone in the band talked about. A fan extrapolated about something that was said, and it seems like everybody has been carrying that torch ever since

Sarcasm.

Actually, it was either Irving Azoff or the guy from Best Buy who mentioned "monumental promotion." Either way it will always be an infamous quote in the GNR universe given the level of promotion the album actually received compared to what, say, Wal-Mart did for AC/DC

Actually, it was either Irving Azoff or the guy from Best Buy who mentioned "monumental promotion." Either way it will always be an infamous quote in the GNR universe given the level of promotion the album actually received compared to what, say, Wal-Mart did for AC/DC

This.

First of all I don't think anyone was painting Axl to be playing a victim in this instance at all, and the allusion to such truly does no justice to this topic your post or the discussion at all.......The Best Buy Exclusive along with the supposed monumental promo campaign by all indications was a flop that was instigated and propagated due to greed and bullshit disagreements re: details and issues that were likely integral to the contract but that most anyone on the board likely knows little to nothing about----*myself included, I freely admit I'm speculating based on information publicly available and my personal opinion*.

However, given how hard Axl worked on this album and the amount of genuine emotion, blood, sweat, and tears was put into this recording it would seem ludicrous that the reason for the lack of promo work on Axl's part is due to "laziness" as your post incinuates. One does not make a musical recording of this magnititude, sell untold millions of albums, or generally rock the fuck out of millions of fans if that person has an inclination towards laziness...

Much more plausibly is the fact that Promises made during the signing/negotiation of the famed exclusive deal ultimately were promises broken, and as Axl alluded to in his chats, at every turn it seems that issues were raised that ultimately came down to greed, bullshit and control over what at the end of the day is ultimately his art.

Given Axl's penchant for saying FUCK YOU to this type of BS, and general predisposition toward erring on the side of integrity---it would seem that he simply said screw it......and let it fade---in a sense making the ultimate sacrifice with respect to this albums chance of chart topping success, etc rather than sacrifice his personal beliefs/integrity & line the coffers of Best Buy/record company/moneygrubbing music whores.

And with respect to "look at Slash, etc"-----Let me preface this by saying I Love Slash's guitar playing, he is the reason I purchased my Les Paul, and is a true inspiration as a guitar player for me personally----but if you truly believe A. he is not being bankrolled in some way shape or form or another by some corporate entities, etc and B. that Axl would become a media whore of a that caliber that ultimately sacrifices musical and personal integrity in a devils bargain for the limelight and the ability to continue to propagate the legendary "godlike motif" then I would suggest taking another look at the situation.....

As has been stated through this whole issue and back and forth volley many times, there's two sides to EVERY story, and while Slash has repeatedly used public formus to air his side in which he can perform constant spin control to dictate and control the image of the issue being fed to the masses----Axl was quiet......working on the record, biding time.......when he started to shed light on the issues-----he did it personally with the fans.....I dunno......

As I stated this is nothing more than personal opinion and speculation------ 2 things I know 4 sure- 1.Axl KNOWS what's up, he is well aware of how to promote, get in the spotlight, hide from it, build a buzz, etc.....2. He's certainly not lazy, and cares a great deal about this band, his music, andhis fans....

Those 2 items clearly display why it's not an issues of laziness or any other bs portrayed in the media as to being responsible for the delay/lack of promo on CD.

You managed to bring up your idol Slash in a thread which had nothing to do with it..., like 80% of your posts, props. So let's continue.

You call it 'effort' and 'little hustle'...others call it selling out and kissing the ass of everybody in the industry, so you get your 5 minutes in the spotlight.

It just depends how much you think your own integrity is worth.

Slash won't sell 25% of what CD sold, even though he has all the backing of the famous and popular artists on the album, the TV and radio shows, magazines, etc. The 'effort and little hustle' you mentioned.

So you can sell your integrity cheaper with every new album, like Slash does...but what will it get him in the end? A bit of money? Yes. Better songs and artistic value? Nope, not even close.

Edited by LLL